Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 02-18-2023, 08:02 AM   #1
Isaiah Keith

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT RS V6
Loose Steering at highway speeds. Persistent.

Hello there! I have been driving my 2017 RS V6 for over 1 1/2 years now, and it has had a handful of issues. The main one that I haven't been able to fix is a strange 'bug' where the steering doesn't change feel after getting up to speed. Sometimes, it has an issue where it seems like the car thinks it's in a parking lot, but I'm actually going 70. What happens is the wheel is too easy to turn, and it doesn't have any feel. I would describe it as overboosted, even though it is electric steering. It makes it harder to drive at highway speed because just a little steering little input does so much. This only happens sometimes, especially if I accelerate quickly. I know it has nothing to do with drive mode, as the steering feels loose or soft in both Tour and Sport.

I understand the issue fairly well because I was at VIR when it happened one time. I had two track sessions and it was fine. The third, I was on pit lane and I actually said, "Come on Camaro, not again!" The steering was soft and it made track driving harder. The steering is precise and I have complete control, but the feeling is terrible at times. Maybe a torque sensor or speed information is not getting to the steering control system? Thanks!
Isaiah Keith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loose steering, soft steering, steering