Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #43
ApexedSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I like the Porterfields, They were recommended to me when I was tracking a CTS-V. If the temp is just right they squeak.. Most of the time I don't notice. They are awesome track pads and work at any temp. I like the idea that my brakes work just as well on the street as they do on the track. Never fade...ever.
Which porterfeild model?

Are they ok for street use? What's the sound like at normal street temps?
ApexedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #44
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexedSS View Post
Which porterfeild model?

Are they ok for street use? What's the sound like at normal street temps?
R-4. They have the best temp range of any pad I have used. I have been using nothing but porterfield for so long that I don't hardly notice it. Every once and a while if the temp is about 60 and if you put real light pedal pressure on them they squeak quite a bit. If I notice this I just coast and then brake harder where I actually need to stop. They are silent when warm and when you use moderate to heavy pedal pressure.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #45
ApexedSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
R-4. They have the best temp range of any pad I have used. I have been using nothing but porterfield for so long that I don't hardly notice it. Every once and a while if the temp is about 60 and if you put real light pedal pressure on them they squeak quite a bit. If I notice this I just coast and then brake harder where I actually need to stop. They are silent when warm and when you use moderate to heavy pedal pressure.
Ohh man really?? Wow I have a 72 240z that I am getting back into track shape and I put R4 on it. Man were they loud on the street with light pressure or cold as you said. Got flipped off 3 times in 15 minutes haha. I couldn't handle it and went with the R4S.

Anyone hear anything about EBC yellow?
ApexedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #46
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexedSS View Post
Ohh man really?? Wow I have a 72 240z that I am getting back into track shape and I put R4 on it. Man were they loud on the street with light pressure or cold as you said. Got flipped off 3 times in 15 minutes haha. I couldn't handle it and went with the R4S.

Anyone hear anything about EBC yellow?
I have never been flipped off. I suspect that as light as the 240 is you really would have to push it to get the pads warm, my 4300+ pound ZL1 seems to warm them pretty quick. They are definitely not a silent brake pad though. Maybe that is why everyone stares at my car, I thought it was because it looked cool....lol.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #47
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
You may not want to do this but there is a huge difference between my 19" wheel setup and the 20" wheels, even over TSW nurbs in 20" size. My 19x10.5" wheels weighs around 56lbs each and the car stops very very good at the extreme with HP+ pads, Goodrich SS lines and Motul 600.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #48
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Track pads, stainless hoses and DOT4 fluid are a must, but remember to drive to your's and your car's limits. No need to keep braking late when you start feeling brake fade. Just ease off a couple of laps until your brakes cool down and then charge ahead again. Also no need to drive beyond your abilities and end up off course or worse.

Just be level headed and drive smartly. You can leave off your brakes a lot if you learn the lines.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #49
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Oh, Mikey....... I thought I had you taught better.... Hawks, REALLY?!?!?!?!???

Well I hope you buy the track insurance.

T.

PS. If no one can tell yet I am NOT a fan of Hawk pads.
I'm not a fan of the HPS or HP+ pads for track use either. However, you should try Hawk's full race pads. I've been using Hawk's DTC-70 pads on my race car for years with great success. Most of my passes are made under HEAVY braking, and the DTC-70's have never let me down.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #50
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
What Hawk pads were they? How much seat time did you have when you "wore out" as set of pads? What do you mean by wore out? Were they worn down to the backing plate?
This question wasn't directed at me, but just FYI I roasted (overheated) a set of Hawk DTC-30 pads and warped my rotors as a result, in one day at Summit Point. Pic is on post #371 on the thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...294470&page=15

As a caution these days, when I get off the track I do not go to my parking spot, instead I go for a little slow speed drive for 5 minutes around the grounds to let the rotors cool down. If you go right back to the spot and park, the section of the rotor that is inside the caliper will be very hot and potentially get even hotter, while the other area will start to cool. That could lead to warping right there. So 5 minutes is not a big deal for a little extra safety.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #51
Jim968

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
This question wasn't directed at me, but just FYI I roasted (overheated) a set of Hawk DTC-30 pads and warped my rotors as a result, in one day at Summit Point.
Why did you choose a circle track pad for a road course application? DTC-60 or DTC-70 is what you want for a road course.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #52
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Why did you choose a circle track pad for a road course application? DTC-60 or DTC-70 is what you want for a road course.
Poor judgment.

They was listed as a step up from the OEM pads, which I had never really had any problems with, so I figured they would be better. Wrong. They were far worse.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #53
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
The 60's and 70's have a limited operating range that require a good warm-up. They are not good street pads when it is cold. If you don't want to swap out pads every time you track the car 60's and 70's are iffy. The 30's have a broad temp range and can be used safely for daily driving and have enough range that they will stop well road racing. I used a set of them on my CTS-V. They really seem to operate hot when you push them. If your rotors and fluid can take the heat they work fine for road racing and can be safely driven on the street. Don't you think a circle track racing pad would stop better than a street pad?

Last edited by jessrayo; 03-14-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #54
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWA SS View Post
I do have the ability to shift manually. I bought CFD shifter, so my shift buttons are on the stick vs on the back of wheel that is a moving target.
Leaving in auto on the track last year was not pleasant when it downshifts in corners.
Get the big aluminum paddle shifters that you can get for <$100 here somewhere on Camaro5. They are UNBELIEVABLY NICE. No taking hands off the wheel to downshift. Take about 10 minutes to install.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #55
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Make sure you get belt off your neck. Adjust mirrors to new seat placement (you dont need to look at your car).
Speaking of belts: Get a CG Lock. $50 and it locks your lap belt in. Really reduces the amount of sliding around in the seat. I loved it (and then got Kirkeys so don't need it on the track anymore, but still drive around town with it).

Old 03-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #56
Jim968

Quote:
The 60's and 70's have a limited operating range that require a good warm-up. They are not good street pads when it is cold. If you don't want to swap out pads every time you track the car 60's and 70's are iffy.
You are 100% correct. DTC-60 and DTC-70 pads suck on the street. They are a no compromise track pad. My view is if you're spending the time and money to track your car, why compromise on something as important as your brakes? Pads are easy to swap. You can do it in under an hour in the comfort of your garage before you leave for the track, and swap back to OEM when you return. Not much effort for the best of both worlds.