Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #827
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
If you read my statement again, I very clearly describe the key and fob with nothing on it.

Your physics example requires a lot more rotational force to be applied to the stationary object in the 'chain'- the key- than the model supports, as the fob is not directly moving the key in the manner the recall describes. As an example, if I place a rod through a chain link and then spin the rod, am I spinning the chain link too? Only if the chain link has enough friction, right? Well then how am I spinning the stationary rod by bumping the chain link then? The chain link will just swing.

The only way the full force is applied to the key by the fob is when mechanically the fob cannot be rotated further- think about it- and it binds on the keyring. Prior to that point in my stated example, there is not enough friction to turn the key, becasue the fob isn't heavy enough. Your model requires a moment arm mine doesn't and can't have. The ignition is designed to need 3 or 4 lbs of pressure if I recall correctly. Thanks for trying to make me look ignorant just the same, but to refute my statement, you changed my model
Put something of the same weight as your fob and swing it while holding the key in your hand. Feel the force? In order to make the "swing" you have to have opposite force applied on the chain-link which leads to the base. Yeah, that is exerted on your ignition. Very minimal but there is a force. Multiply that a couple hundred times of doing it and the ignition "required force of 3 or 4lbs" will lessen as it wears over time from regular use and this applied extra force. I never stated that it would happen immediately.

I never changed the model, only increased it to a worst case scenario with more weight. More weight, more likely chance of it showing up sooner. Just like the current GM scenario, everything little variable has to come into play.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #828
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Expect it to look like this
Not going to happen, now they can do this.

http://youtu.be/XIcmTzs8pkQ
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #829
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
So..... :-(

1/ What do we do if we are the 3rd owner of a Camaro 2010 and not on Chevrolet's contact list?
2/ What do we do if it is a UK import, in the UK, when there are NO Chevy Dealers or Camaro Sales/Service in the UK anymore ?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-problem.html
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #830
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post

1/ What do we do if we are the 3rd owner of a Camaro 2010 and not on Chevrolet's contact list?
2/ What do we do if it is a UK import, in the UK, when there are NO Chevy Dealers or Camaro Sales/Service in the UK anymore ?!

I'd say don't hit the key fob with your knee. If you haven't hit it yet, you're fine. The recall is silly and probably affects every car made with the switchblade key.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #831
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
The thing is you know the issue and what may cause it. You can now make allowances in your seating position or just be aware when you move your leg and bump the key fob it could shut off. Being aware of something that could happen keeps you prepared to take action if it does. I say practice moving your leg around to different positions to see when or if this could happen.

Just a small note, back in 2001 I was driving my 2000 GMC Sierra to Texas. Going down 4 lane interstate at 75mph surrounded by traffic two lanes over from the emergency lane my truck shut off. Did I cause a wreck? No. Did I panic? No. What did I do, well first I bumped it to neutral and tried restarting, when that didn't work I turned on my right signal and made my way to the emergency lane and stopped. No drama, no accidents. Just know what happens and don't panic. The problem with my truck was the crankshaft position sensor. Many things can cause your car to just quit, you have to be prepared if it ever happens to you.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #832
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post

If I were you, I wouldn't even worry about it. Unless it's a reoccurring issue for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Many things can cause your car to just quit, you have to be prepared if it ever happens to you.
Amen
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #833
Darwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Usually you should have to shift to neutral while in motion to turn the car off and on. The issue with Toyota, on some, supposedly is that the shifter locked and they couldn't get into neutral. So now we have the ability to turn it off in drive and we have these issues.

Effectively, damned if you do and damned if you don't.
That's not correct. You can always turn the car off if it has a traditional ignition regardless of gear. The problem with the Toyota was the keyless ignition. Since it's a button you have to hold and press it to turn the ignition off.

Also the button that some manufactures have on ignitions is there to keep the keys from coming out of the ignition. It doesn't stop anyone from turning the ignition off.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #834
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
Dammit, I checked the law and 49 USC Section 30120 means that they can't deliever until the defect has been corrected. I don't see any loopholes to this.
The defect has been corrected with the new key/fob setup, just not implemented yet. Can't see why this should stop sales.....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #835
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
If you have bought the car (deposit paid) then they honor any and all incentives offered at the time of the deal being reached. Delivery date has nothing to do with it.
No purchase yet, no deposit either.

I can just see someone going to a dealer and asking to buy a Camaro, and the salesman says "I can't sell you a Camaro, but how about this nice Cruz?" Like that would ever fly.

As to a new car sale, no dealer in his right mind will take a deposit on a vehicle without writing up a sales contract...no way to bind you to the sale without the contract. If the contract is signed and the car is not delivered, the dealer is on the hook if the car is damaged or stolen. If your current car is part of the deal as a trade in, the dealer is going to want your car NOW to prevent a loss should your car get into an accident or totaled before you pick up your new car.

Not to mention your insurance company is going to want you to have insurance on the car even though it is not delivered, but there is a signed contract that says you must prove insurance within 5 days of this contract being signed. So now you are paying insurance foe 2 cars.

Dealers want cars sold and off the lot ASAP to prevent the above scenario's. Can't Believe that Chevy dealers are going to wait however long to sell a Camaro....they can't afford lost business.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #836
Darwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
The defect has been corrected with the new key/fob setup, just not implemented yet. Can't see why this should stop sales.....
The way I read it, the issue has to be remedied before delivery can occur, i.e. implemented.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #837
Darwood

Quote:

I can just see someone going to a dealer and asking to buy a Camaro, and the salesman says "I can't sell you a Camaro, but how about this nice Cruz?" Like that would ever fly.

As to a new car sale, no dealer in his right mind will take a deposit on a vehicle without writing up a sales contract...no way to bind you to the sale without the contract. If the contract is signed and the car is not delivered, the dealer is on the hook if the car is damaged or stolen. If your current car is part of the deal as a trade in, the dealer is going to want your car NOW to prevent a loss should your car get into an accident or totaled before you pick up your new car.

Not to mention your insurance company is going to want you to have insurance on the car even though it is not delivered, but there is a signed contract that says you must prove insurance within 5 days of this contract being signed. So now you are paying insurance foe 2 cars.

Dealers want cars sold and off the lot ASAP to prevent the above scenario's. Can't Believe that Chevy dealers are going to wait however long to sell a Camaro....they can't afford lost business.
I'm still driving my trade-in. I should go do some power slides...
Old 06-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #838
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
Quote:

I am in the business and NO...we can't sell them until they are complied with. Really sucks.....we have 3 waiting to be delivered!!! INCLUDING MINE!!!

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #839
Darwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Expect it to look like this
It better look like that or I'm going to be pissed. Well, more pissed.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #840
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I'd say don't hit the key fob with your knee. If you haven't hit it yet, you're fine. The recall is silly and probably affects every car made with the switchblade key.
From my experiments, every car with a steering column mounted ignition Ive tried is able to be turned off with my knee if I try hard enough. Regular or switchblade style key. But I don't think I could do it by accident on any of them. Including the Camaro.

Quote:
It better look like that or I'm going to be pissed. Well, more pissed.
The loaner Sliverado I have right now has this. Trust me, you don't want it. I've owned a lot of GM vehicles over the years and this has got to be the worst designed FOB I've seen. I works, but it looks and feels like something you get in the crappy toy isle from the grocery store. The FOB for my 2008 Saturn Aura was better. Heck, the FOB for my 2001 Suburban is better.

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall