Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
MTI Racing

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Wow! Check out this pic!

Through our background and experience in road racing, we at MTI Racing have learned the best way to test the performance of a vehicle and determine the value of any upgrade is at the road course. Our 2010 Camaro project is no different. Last Saturday and Sunday we were at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham then took the car to Road Atlanta on Monday.

The first session at Barber showed us that the new Camaro's got some pretty serious body roll with the stock suspension.

Based on this test we feel the first step to improve the suspension system on any new Camaro should be a set of beefy sway bars. When we got back to the shop on Tuesday we removed the stock sway bars and are in the process of creating the best sway bars available for the 2010 Camaro. These along with many more suspension upgrades will be available in the very near future.

These videos also show some track footage and provide alot more information on the other defficiencies we discovered in the stock suspension.

MTI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
seems kool but i mean obviously the suspension in there obviously wasnt made to handle 600hp if u ask me. id say do some beet runs in the beggening without the supercharger and then see what the difference is. just my opinion i could be wrong.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersftbl69 View Post
seems kool but i mean obviously the suspension in there obviously wasnt made to handle 600hp if u ask me. id say do some beet runs in the beggening without the supercharger and then see what the difference is. just my opinion i could be wrong.
SHHHHH the consumer will hear you.....

Seriously though, im sure even without the supercharger you would see pretty much the same thing. Its not like he is pumping out 600hp while he is taking the turn.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
What speed and radius on that curve so we can get an idea of the forces involved?

- SK
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
coptzr
Resistance is futile

Drives: Anything thats fast
Seems like alot of body roll from that picture........Looks like ALOT of fun though.Cant wait untill mine arrives...................
Edelbrock CAI
VMS stage 2.5 cam kit
SLP LT's, no cats
NPP muffler's w/x-pipe
Tuned at Vector Motorsports
606 RWHP and 567 RWT
Black 1LE 10 spokes.
Hotchkis drop springs.

Last edited by coptzr; 06-03-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: I'm 44 yrs old and can't spell....
coptzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
LS1_Alex

Drives: Firebird Formula
Looks good. But you ain't fixing that 4000+ pound (w/driver) curb weight.
LS1_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Faster!

It looks like everyone knew to move over, "fast car passing"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Not that I don't see the need for aftermarket suspension. But I've heard this line a couple times from MTI now...

So let me get this straight. You've taken a stock $34K ish production car, added monster power and some weight, took it to a world class raceway, and are complaining about the body roll?

Seems like you are leaving out a whole bunch of details. Like lap times for starters. I'd hate to think that you took the car to the track just to get a pic of body roll so we are convinced that you have the only answer for our suspension woes.

Especially since I am considering you over lingenfelter... Maybe we could give the Stock Camaro a little credit where credit is due...

Again I'm sure there's room for improvement. But it seemed like you were passing quite a few race ready cars...

Maybe we should change the title of the thread to be less "offensive".
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
MTI Racing

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
What speed and radius on that curve so we can get an idea of the forces involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
Seriously though, im sure even without the supercharger you would see pretty much the same thing. Its not like he is pumping out 600hp while he is taking the turn.
You are correct! The monster horsepower is irrelevant in the turn. The same results would occur with 300hp. That picture was taken at the back kink at about 95mph. The TVS supercharger only adds about 60lbs to the car. In our testing, we found the extra 60 lbs to have very little effect on the car compared its 4000 lb curb weight. It is equivalent to the weight of 8 gallons of gas.

Here is a turn at 35-40mph...Yeehaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coptzr View Post
........Looks like ALOT of fun though....................
YES IT IS! Once the suspension upgrades are done, the car will be even more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Not that I don't see the need for aftermarket suspension. But I've heard this line a couple times from MTI now...

So let me get this straight. You've taken a stock $34K ish production car, added monster power and some weight, took it to a world class raceway, and are complaining about the body roll? Especially since I am considering you over lingenfelter... Maybe we could give the Stock Camaro a little credit where credit is due...

Again I'm sure there's room for improvement. But it seemed like you were passing quite a few race ready cars...
The 2010 Camaro is a hot car no doubt. It is a blast to drive on the street. MTI Racing does its testing so we can see what happens, and improve upon it. Laptimes can be skewed by the monster horsepower, so our main objective is manufacture some great suspension right away so you can carve up the mountain roads.
MTI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
XcYZ

Drives: 69 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post

Maybe we should change the title of the thread to be less "offensive".
Offensive? Seriously? The picture clearly illustrates that GM compromised high speed handling for a more comfortable ride. There are always compromises made to please the masses and I don't see how that could possibly be taken as offensive.

There is ALWAYS room for improvement on a mass produced car.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI Racing View Post

The 2010 Camaro is a hot car no doubt. It is a blast to drive on the street. MTI Racing does its testing so we can see what happens, and improve upon it. Laptimes can be skewed by the monster horsepower, so our main objective is manufacture some great suspension right away so you can carve up the mountain roads.
Thanks very much for the reply... I'll be headed your way in Feb most likely.

I appreciate the work you guys are doing on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ View Post
Offensive? Seriously? The picture clearly illustrates that GM compromised high speed handling for a more comfortable ride. There are always compromises made to please the masses and I don't see how that could possibly be taken as offensive.

There is ALWAYS room for improvement on a mass produced car.
Read my entire post and you'll see that you and I actaully agree... My concern was that not enough credit or information was passed as to why the Camaro is setup the way it is, Hence it appeared the stock camaro was a substandard street car, which all of us agree isn't true. Yes, a world class raceway will expose many weaknesses on a stock suspension that you will seldom notice on the road.

I completely agree.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
Gotta love it when a biased 'seller' makes a statement like, "Really disappointing suspension and handling. But thats good news for us, since were going to sell you everything that'll fix this perceived problem."

I find it odd that an un-biased independent review of the 2010 Camaro, which matches it up against the top 3 vehicles of its class calls the Camaro "the best handling and cornering out of ANY stock muscle car in its class to date."

The same independent review team later goes on in another review of the V6 Camaro to state that for sports vehicles within its price range and HP, the Camaro ranks 2nd only to the Genesis Coupe Track Package (please note the words... Track... Package), for cornering and handling.

Adding 200 more horses under the hood and pushing it around corners 'at a raceway' at a faster velocity 'is' going to effect its handling performance. Don't let anyone try and tell you anything different.

Good for MTI to step up and make a solid suspension for customized Camaros. I don't think anyone else is doing that yet. Major kudos to you all. But to state that the Camaros stock handling is 'disappointing', isn't really justified. If that is the case, all of the current sports cars under 100k have 'disappointing' handling.

Last edited by Shadowmind; 06-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Just block out the suspension. No roll. Shitty ride, but no roll.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote