Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #43
battlekat

Drives: the red dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
In case you didn't know... Mobil 1 filters and K&N filters have the exact same synthetic blend filtering media inside and are made by Champion Labs. They are some of the better filters available, but there are better ones out there.
yeah that's what i was told at autozone but the guy that helped me the second time around didn't really have any authority to basically just give me the mobil1 filter like when i went in the first time. i guess it was a manager or something because she rang me up for the oil but just gave me the filter since that was all they had and if she rang it up it wouldn't count towards their offer and i would've been charged full price for everything.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #44
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
In case you didn't know... Mobil 1 filters and K&N filters have the exact same synthetic blend filtering media inside and are made by Champion Labs. They are some of the better filters available, but there are better ones out there.
What filters are better and why? Thank you.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #45
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you want the best filter here you go.

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...em&itemKey=698

MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #46
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The Pure Power filters are.... well.... "looks like a filter must be a filter". You gain nothing by running them other than a very light wallet after buying one. At $200+ for the filter you can buy a lot of 100% synthetic media filters (not paper) that will go the length of the OLM with out blinking an eye and filter the same if not better (yes there are filters that are rated better). Besides all that, just take a gander at the Pure Power brochure and see what they say about throw away filters. They truly have no clue how filters work.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.

Last edited by NavyDood; 12-27-2011 at 07:30 PM.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #47
Fireman Jay

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 SW/IOM
Thumbs up

Mobil 1 synthetic, check it once a week, change it every 3000 miles. $52.00 at the dealer. Yes $52.00. No joke. Yes they do use Mobil 1 for that price. I personally know the service manager. Great friend. Two GM dealers in town are at war over oil changes. I have the oil in my two trucks changed for $13.00, dealer choice conventional oil of course. Must live here in the same county as the dealer or be a previous customer.
Fireman Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #48
ebbett21

Drives: E2 HSV LS3
I have ever only used Klotz 10-40 and it smells and runs the engine sweet. Not cheap but way i figure, is better to pay alittle extra to know your engine internals are in good hands
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #49
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
Mobil 1 here. I check my oil level once or twice a week when I get a chance, just to be safe. It's been a habit of mine since I usually check the oil on my Supra before I leave home, but with the Camaro I don't check it as often as I do the Supra.
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #50
Sgt_Snuffy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Red Jewel
Mandating that people use a specific brand of oil to protect warranty is illegal under the tie-in sales provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. They can require that the oil you use meets a standard but that's it. Just because it doesn't have a GM logo on it doesn't mean they can automatically void your warranty.

I first looked this up years ago when someone told me that I would void the warranty on my Harley if I didn't use their oil.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...#Magnuson-Moss
Sgt_Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #51
Andy@AMSOIL
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Snuffy View Post
Mandating that people use a specific brand of oil to protect warranty is illegal under the tie-in sales provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. They can require that the oil you use meets a standard but that's it. Just because it doesn't have a GM logo on it doesn't mean they can automatically void your warranty.

I first looked this up years ago when someone told me that I would void the warranty on my Harley if I didn't use their oil.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...#Magnuson-Moss
Very tru, and exactly why GM is being challenged right now.

Rule of thumb as long as the oil is a premium synthetic and it meets or exceeds performance requirements I am using it and reccomending it to my customers.
Andy@AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #52
Andy@AMSOIL
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=UnleashedBeast;4258305

What's really silly, every Amsoil 5W-30 grade SS, XL, and OE all surpass the Dexos1 requirements, yet because Amsoil refuses to pay GM for this stupid certification that is honestly a downgrade spec to Amsoil, people here think that Amsoil will not work well in their GM engine.[/QUOTE]

Very good points you have, that is why is so important for a person to do research and learn the benefits of group 4 PAO oils and the superb benefits.
I will be bringing more data to process that AMSOIL exeeds the GM requirements hands down,
Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #53
LoPerformance Motorsports
Loperformance Motorsports

Drives: 2011 2LT
Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 oil filter Only can get the Mobil 1 filters at Advance Auto parts in our area. They have on sale for $10 each right now. Thats 50% off. just picked up a couple more!!!
LoPerformance Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #54
TXCamaro
TXCamaro

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible Tan on Blk
Sgt Snuffy,
Great post, thank you. Being an informed customer feels great when you checkmate the dealer/service provider with a kick in the a$$. I love it!!!
Thanks again.
TXCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #55
dmiller66
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Auto
Amsoil... changed once a year if it needs it or not.
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #56
Andy@AMSOIL
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller66 View Post
Amsoil... changed once a year if it needs it or not.
That is amazing, I use it daily and sell thousands of it and I don't even dare to run it a full year,, just kidding ,, good job to you