Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Gmpp vs Birla can't find any answers

So I'm looking at some axle back setups and my favorite is the gmpp seems perfect for me. I've read that Borla makes the setup for gm but does Borla have the same setup for sale branded as Borla or is the Borla axle back system different than the gmpp? Cause the Borla system is significantly cheaper it seems. But from a few videos they seem to sound different to me, but with YouTube and all they are pretty close I guess.

If they do make the same setup available from Borla please post part numbers for me.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I honestly do not know. But I am guessing they are not terribly different. My husband has the GMPP on his SS & I have Borla on my V6. They both sound great. Just get the one you think sounds best to you, or the one that best fits your budget. Either way I think you will be happy.

Here is a professionally done video of mine. Listen with headphones. Soon it will sound really different as I am adding ARH long tube headers, high flow cats & their new H-pipe set-up that is supposed to sound better on our V6's. I am keeping the Borlas.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 02-04-2014 at 06:36 AM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Borla does make the GMPP systems but they are not the same systems that they sell under their brand. They are GM specific part numbers.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Borla's Touring axle back part# is 11776. I've been very pleased with mine- louder than stock but not too loud and weigh 10lbs each vs 25lbs each for the stock mufflers.

I'd be willing to bet the extra $300 the GMPP part costs is for the embossed "bowtie" on the tips!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
So chase ? are they the same build ? Like same design? or is there a different design between the two? as anyone compared them side by side ? I would expect different part numbers and I read somewhere that they are different metals but other than that they are the same ? is this true?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
So chase ? are they the same build ? Like same design? or is there a different design between the two? as anyone compared them side by side ? I would expect different part numbers and I read somewhere that they are different metals but other than that they are the same ? is this true?
I have not ever seen them both cut open and compared the muffler design side-by-side. What you are thinking though is very much outside the norm of private labeling in the automotive aftermarket in general and especially when it come to making parts for GMPP.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
They are the same basic design but made for GM with the GMPP logo and the bowties one the tips. I've compared both, they're both stainless steel and sound a perform the same. I went with the GM set only because of the branding but I got them cheap. There are other exhaust systems Borlas been doing the same for GM for the performance parts catalog.

GMPP V6 - Borla V6 Touring
GMPP V8 - Borla V8 Touring
GMPP V8 off road - I believe its the Borla S-Type. Not sure as I haven't looked at either.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle back, borla, gmpp