Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GM upgrading their mild-hybrid systems

This is AWESOME News!!!

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Company 'T'.

Quote:
GM ramps up hybrid plans with new battery technology
BY MARK PHELAN • FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC • March 4, 2008

GENEVA – General Motors plans to build a wider variety of hybrid-electric vehicles for its brands around the world thanks to a new high-efficiency lithium-ion battery the automaker will have on the road in 2010. GM expects to build more than 100,000 of the new hybrids a year.

The new batteries provide 33% more power, but take up 24% less space and weigh 40% less than the nickel-metal hydride batteries in the first generation of GM’s hybrids – the Saturn Aura and Vue and Chevrolet Malibu.
Compared to the 2008 Saturn Vue hybrid, the new system should boost city and highway fuel economy 1 or 2 m.p.g., said Stephen Poulos, GM chief hybrid engineer.

The new batteries also provide more electric boost during acceleration and recover more energy for charging during braking, said Dan Hancock, GM vice president of global hybrid engineering.

GM will introduce the batteries on one of its North American models in 2010, but plans to use them in a new generation of hybrid vehicles it will sell around the world, the automaker said. They will use 15% to 20% less fuel than comparable non-hybrid models and will include vehicles powered by biofuels and turbodiesels, Hancock said.

The batteries will not show up in the acclaimed two-mode hybrid system GM uses for trucks like the Chevrolet Tahoe and Silverado, GMC Yukon and Sierra and Cadillac Escalade, however. They do not generate enough power for those full-size trucks to move under electricity alone.

The batteries are different from the lithium-ion batteries GM is developing for the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid.

While the new batteries will make their hybrids more fuel efficient and allow their engines to shut off more frequently and for longer periods, they will not drive the vehicles faster than 3 to 5 m.p.h. in all-electric mode.

By that definition, they will remain “mild” hybrids with smaller fuel efficiency gains than full hybrids like the GM trucks, Ford Escape and Toyota Prius and Camry that can drive under electricity alone at up to around 25 m.p.h. The mild hybrids cost less than full hybrids, allowing GM to offer its hybrids for lower prices than full hybrid versions of similar-size vehicles. The Malibu and Aura hybrid midsize sedans, for instance, have a base price of $22,140, about $5,200 less than a Toyota Camry hybrid.

However, the batteries will work with vehicles and engines larger than GM’s current mild hybrids, and also with larger engines, even including V6 and V8 models. They can also be used in conjunction with turbocharging to increase the power of small engines and use them to replace bigger powerplants, like using a four-cylinder rather than a V6, or a V6 instead of a V8.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Cheers GM!!!

GM Rocks!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I got kinda confused when I got to the part that says, "Compared to the 2008 Saturn Vue hybrid, the new system should boost city and highway fuel economy 1 or 2 m.p.g., said Stephen Poulos, GM chief hybrid engineer."
Isnt that what the mild hybrids do right now already? An increase of 1 or 2 mpg is what they do now. How is this an improvement?

Besides that, this did impress me - "The new batteries provide 33% more power, but take up 24% less space and weigh 40% less than the nickel-metal hydride batteries in the first generation of GM’s hybrids"

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
Isnt that what the mild hybrids do right now already? An increase of 1 or 2 mpg is what they do now. How is this an improvement?
1-2 mpg on top of the already gained 1-2mpg...make sense?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
^ ooooooh ok

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
Quote:
They can also be used in conjunction with turbocharging to increase the power of small engines and use them to replace bigger powerplants, like using a four-cylinder rather than a V6, or a V6 instead of a V8.
This to me will be the big application. With everyone upset about the new CAFE regs, this should help GM meet their targets with their bread and butter vehicles...and ease the worrying of those of us concerned that we won't get class-beating power in our Camaros
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This sounds like further proof that GM will not be left behind in the technology for fuel economy. The one part that really caught my eye was this
Quote:
GM will introduce the batteries on one of its North American models in 2010, but plans to use them in a new generation of hybrid vehicles it will sell around the world, the automaker said. They will use 15% to 20% less fuel than comparable non-hybrid models and will include vehicles powered by biofuels and turbodiesels, Hancock said.
That sounds like the time for the cobalt (and co.) to be redesigned. The size fits too. Also, the turbodiesel sounds like it could be very interesting.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote