Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
Miketebo22
Iceman

Drives: SOLD #20,908 SS waiting for ZL1
Send a message via MSN to Miketebo22
havent heard any of that! good luck with it
Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #16
JerseyMonte

Drives: 1972 Z28
Little noisy when cold

When I first start up in the garage engine is
a little noisier than when it warms up.
Sort of a rattle I had a 67 Camaro that made
a light knocking noise when cold for about
30 seconds but that was a tight piston pin
when the piston expanded the knock went
away. Could posibly be same problem with yours
if so it may go away when the engine is broken in
They build these engines to close tolerances
I only have 400 miles on mine not worried about it

JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
z28mass
z28 mass

Drives: 4 gen of camaros, 2012 ZL1 vin#1499
Only 93 octane for me on all my camaros.
Car runs smoother and better performance.
z28mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
csjrishere

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have the same noises. I even talked to a service tech who said it was normal... I am not sure i buy that since many guys don't even have any of these sounds. The noise is really pronounced when the skip shift forces me to forth sounds like lots of pinging. I also get a heavy clunking sound at times when I push the clutch in during low speed maneuvers.

I am going to a better Chevy dealer for my next visit maybe run up to Tom Henry.
2SS/RS 6m IOM w/ White Stripes and the Black interior ordered 10/13/2008, #7905 delivered 5/26/09.
csjrishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
CamaroSS_LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjrishere View Post
I have the same noises. I even talked to a service tech who said it was normal... I am not sure i buy that since many guys don't even have any of these sounds. The noise is really pronounced when the skip shift forces me to forth sounds like lots of pinging. I also get a heavy clunking sound at times when I push the clutch in during low speed maneuvers.

I am going to a better Chevy dealer for my next visit maybe run up to Tom Henry.
I know the clunking sound is normal for these cars with manuals; there is some slop in the drive train with the IRS that causes the clunking sounds under certain low speed clutching scenarios.
The rattle/knocking sounds for me are not very loud just enough to hear occasionally and make me wonder if it’s normal sounds of the LS3 with a manual transmission or if there is an issue. Again the sounds are not loud nor can I always make it do it so I know if I have a service rep look at it, it will sound fine and they will either says it’s normal or tear apart my motor for a problem that doesn’t really exist. I plan to just keep driving it and assume it’s normal, I have a few years before my warranty runs out.

Also I wonder how many replied to this thread saying they have no such noises actually have automatic transmissions that would not have the same sounds we have.

No Mod's love it just the way it is.

CamaroSS_LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #20
Orange ss crush
Its all in the paint

Drives: 2010 IOM SS2 Black Stripes
Im having the same issues and I only have 147 miles - It's normal Camaro SS - I had a new vet that was the same. It sounds really wierd but its just the meshing of each gear - If you notice if you skip a gear on accident or on porpose it will present itself louder tell it settles back down. Don't worry its not a problem.

SS2/ Sunroof/20" polished rims
IOM with black stripe - IOM interior

Order Placed 5/20/09
sitting at 1100
Orange ss crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #21
CamaroSS_LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange ss crush View Post
Im having the same issues and I only have 147 miles - It's normal Camaro SS - I had a new vet that was the same. It sounds really wierd but its just the meshing of each gear - If you notice if you skip a gear on accident or on porpose it will present itself louder tell it settles back down. Don't worry its not a problem.
This skipping a gear sounds familiar and I have done that a few times. That may be one of the scenarios when I hear the sound too, I will have to try skipping gears tomorrow to see if I can get it to make the sound I’m trying to explain.

I think some readers of this thread thought I was hearing a loud rattle which I would definitely realize was an issue but this is just a slight barely audible rattle under certain load and acceleration scenarios.
A gear meshing sound could very well be what I’m hearing.

Thanks Crush for the feedback.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #22
Orange ss crush
Its all in the paint

Drives: 2010 IOM SS2 Black Stripes
No problem Camaro SS - Some people are just natural born A-holes - I made the mistake due to I picked up my car in the dark and well the first five miles was fun and it was like riding a bike for the first time. I even killed it and my salesman said " I bet you never killed your 69 Camaro". I laughed and said you didn't see any Mustangs did you? LOL He checked my six and then three and then nine and said " Nope no Mustangs ". I said it never happened you hear me!? LOL

SS2/ Sunroof/20" polished rims
IOM with black stripe - IOM interior

Order Placed 5/20/09
sitting at 1100
Orange ss crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
CamaroSS_LS3

Confirmed how to cause noise and most likely cause.

Here is how to cause the noise I’m talking about. Please try this yourself and tell me if you hear a noise also. As stated by Orange SS Crush earlier it now does seem to relate to gear meshing.

1) Roll windows up, turn off radio and all fans to eliminate any other noises
2) Start out in 1st gear
3) Take RPM’s up to 3500
4) Shift directly from 1st to 3rd and give it at least half to full throttle.
5) Do you hear some type of noise such as gear meshing, rattle, knocking?

I can duplicate this noise every time when I follow the above steps. I do now think it’s normal. I would like to hear from others if they can hear what I’m talking about.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Dre2216

Drives: 1SS IOM M6
What side of the car do you hear this from? I was out in my car tonight and heard a noise very similair to what you are describing coming from the right front when I had the windows closed and tooks the rpms up to around 3000 or so. Heard it in 2nd and 3rd gear only. 4th and above and I didn't hear anything. Hopefully it is normal like you say, although I haven't missed any gears so i'm not sure. What makes me a little nervous is that my car was just in the shop (with 200 miles) because the starter tried to start while I was driving and I heard a much louder version of a similar noise and after that my starter wouldn't crank. I may call the service guy tomorrow morning to ask him what he thinks it may be.

NKKV6J---2G1FS1EW4A9134727
SLP LM II

2/26 - Car Back From Dealer!
Dre2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #25
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
there is a TSB for the rice-crispies sound coming from behind the glove box. Only happen in low rpms. For me, it comes on when I am pulling away from stop or driving slow in 2nd or 3rd gear, 2k-3k rpm. Can't hear when there is a lot of road noise.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #26
CamaroSS_LS3

Mine sounds like it's coming from the back or top of the motor or front of the tranny, hard to tell exactly but I never thought it was coming from one side or the other.

I have seen the threads about rice crispy sound but that description doesn't sound to me like what I think I’m hearing. Mine is more of a gravely low tone rattle.

I relate the rice crispy sound to the 2nd sound I was asking about which sounds like a vent fan that is going bad and scraping. This noise doesn’t always occur but I think it has something to do with a heater core valve or something like that. I read somewhere that GM has a fix for that sound and it has something to do with some valve behind the glove box.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #27
mseuro

Drives: 2010 Yellow SS2/RS 6-speed
Just picked my 2nd ss2 and I am well aware of the sound you are talking about. Mine is doing the same thing yours is under load around 3 to 3500 RPM. My first one (exact same car) does not make that noise. They put it up in the air and where not able to find a lose heat shield or anything, they checked the service broadcast but did not find anthing there also. I will be calling Chevy because I hate this sound, it feels like its coming up through the shifter and ratteling the center console, not real happy right now. I also have a 09 Vette LS3 6-speed and it is much smoother with no rattle in the shifter. If anyone knows anything let me know.

Thanks

Robert
mseuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #28
BlackM6RS/SS

Drives: 2010 Black M6 RS/2SS
I know exactly what you guys are experienced, mine does it too. Its like a drivetrain deep low rattle.. when leaning on the gas from a lower RPM... The more i drive it, its not that bad. I think its just normal M6 gears n things like that, but post back if there is something wrong. I have no problems with it though.
BlackM6RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote