Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Why?! 8 Years Later, and Still No One Has Replicated The Callaway Hood Insert, WHY???

As the title reads.

WHY?

Yes, ACS does make a ZL1 style insert with clear window, and I THINK one other style is in their catalogue, but neither styles, are anywhere close, the shape and style of the Callaway offering.

I'm sure there are still many out there, who have quietly wanted this style all along , and.....

I would buy one in a HEARTBEAT!

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 05-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:21 PM   #2
CALLAWAY11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Callaway
I might be slightly partial to what you are saying but I completely agree with you. I was lucky, it came with the car. But I’m sure Callaway has a patent on that design. Ive seen other see thru hoods and I don’t like that they are flush with the hood. I like how mine sticks up, almost like a raised hood and plus it’s carbon fiber which looks awesome. But I’m glad no one else has it, lol. Makes it more rare. Here’s mine
Attached Images

2011 Callaway SC572 2SS/RS, TVS 2300 Supercharger, 1-7/8" Kooks LT Headers, Fast 85# injectors, E85 Flex Fuel Conversion, Fore Twin Fuel Pumps, MGW flat stick short throw shifter, McLeod RXT twin disc clutch, Liberty Gears Tremec trans, DSS 1000 hp axles, Nitto NT555r drag radials, 10#'s of boost, 702 rwhp/ 697 torque, Recaro seat upgrade
CALLAWAY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLAWAY11 View Post
I might be slightly partial to what you are saying but I completely agree with you. I was lucky, it came with the car. But I’m sure Callaway has a patent on that design. Ive seen other see thru hoods and I don’t like that they are flush with the hood. I like how mine sticks up, almost like a raised hood and plus it’s carbon fiber which looks awesome. But I’m glad no one else has it, lol. Makes it more rare. Here’s mine
Yup, it’s a bute!

Nice ride man

Yup, you nailed it on your description of it, especially the “raised” part.

Not sure though, if I’m willing to automatically accept the “Callaway has a patent on it”, as the reason why virtually no one out there, whether it be domestic private, international private, domestic vendor, international vender, Chinese, lol, not making one.

I can’t recall anyone not being allowed to replicate an autopart before. One way or an other, with global trade out there...I mean, there are million dollar cars being closely mimicked by $50000 kit cars, and here I am searching the globe for a lousy, slick styled, hood insert?

For sure you are loving this, exclusivity rocks! Lol

Sledge is one of a kind hea too hea you see ; )
Old 04-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Camaro Dude

Still searching the planet for replica Callaway Hood insert.

I almost feel like putting a bounty on this piece, lol.

$50CAD PayPal, to anyone who finds me a quality, identical looking piece.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
Camaro Dude

Truly truly amazed, surprised, that there is absolutely nothing out there, and no one knows nothing either!

Even a Chinese search brings on nothing, lol!

WTF!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Truly truly amazed, surprised, that there is absolutely nothing out there, and no one knows nothing either!

Even a Chinese search brings on nothing, lol!

WTF!
Can't you order one from Callaway?
Old 04-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
BadAssBumbleBee

Drives: 2010 Callaway SC572
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Can't you order one from Callaway?
If you can prove you actually own a Callaway Camaro you may be able to.

Unfortunately you have to ship your car to one of their facilities......and they still want close to $3500 CDN to cut a hole in your stock hood and install the insert (I've asked).

A better option might be to search local salvage yards to see if you can find a Callaway that's been in an accident and try to salvage the hood, or at least the insert.
BadAssBumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I'm surprised they wouldn't sell the hood on its own . Money is money if you know what I mean. I know if I was running a company and someone wanted something like that I'd sell them one in a heart beat .
Old 04-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
BadAssBumbleBee

Drives: 2010 Callaway SC572
Quote:
I'm surprised they wouldn't sell the hood on its own . Money is money if you know what I mean. I know if I was running a company and someone wanted something like that I'd sell them one in a heart beat .

They will sell you the Callaway Power Window hood if you own a Callaway Camaro that was ordered without one.......they just want $3500.00 for it! And for that $3500.00 you don't get a new hood, they take your stock hood and and install the Power Window into that.

Another alternative might be the ACS Composite T10 Extractor Hood Insert with Window. It's only about $600.00 US + Shipping.
BadAssBumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Depends on how much you care about the exclusivity and image of your brand.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #11
Camaro Dude

Yes, thanks for that. I have looked at the ACS T10, but it isn’t for me. Wish it was, but it isn’t.

I’m almost tempted to call or visit them, as they are near my hood, and ask if they can build me a custom one..but wait, this news flash just popped into my head

I’m thinking, that perhaps these Callaway cars with the optional Power Window in the hood, are so rare out there, that no one ever had a chance to make an actual mold of one?

Might give Callaway a call. I’ll try a lil smooth talkin’ wit a splash of cash, but in light of badassbumblebee’s testimony, I’m not too optimistic.

The search continues....
Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yeah I was thinkin if you took an ACS TL1 insert and cut a hole in it and put a polycarbonite glass window in it would look pretty cool and I would think any decent body shop could do that.I don't care for the shape of the T10 either
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #13
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Yeah I was thinkin if you took an ACS TL1 insert and cut a hole in it and put a polycarbonite glass window in it would look pretty cool and I would think any decent body shop could do that.I don't care for the shape of the T10 either
Hmmmmm i runno about that one...I mean perhaps, but......

Don’t see it happening, but I’m no expert on this either.

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 05-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yeah I just figured you didn't care for the shield shape but I guess you're lookin for something larger. The only problem with going larger is you would lose all of the structural integrity of the hood and maybe that's also another reason a third party vendor hasn't tryed to copy the Callaway. Maybe the Callaway hoods are modified to address that as well. Need to see the backside of a Callaway hood to compare them to stock.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote