Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
ZL1 in the shop Probable trans replacement

I was coming home from work on Tuesday, making a relatively fast shift into 3rd and I heard a grinding noise. Thinking my hand/feet coordination had been off, I tried again at the next light and grinding again. Then I started granny shifting and got a grinding whether I was upshifting or downshifting into 3rd. I am pretty sure the 3rd gear synchros are gone.
The car is at the dealer now and I will probably end up with a new or at least a rebuilt trans. I am going to get the coolant leak on the drivers side block and the rear grinding noise repaired while I am there also.
The car is 100% stock, with 15,000 miles on it. I am glad I didn't start modding it yet, that would have just created a hassle with the warranty I'm sure.
I'll let everyone know how the whole process goes.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 TIBS View Post
I was coming home from work on Tuesday, making a relatively fast shift into 3rd and I heard a grinding noise. Thinking my hand/feet coordination had been off, I tried again at the next light and grinding again. Then I started granny shifting and got a grinding whether I was upshifting or downshifting into 3rd. I am pretty sure the 3rd gear synchros are gone.
The car is at the dealer now and I will probably end up with a new or at least a rebuilt trans. I am going to get the coolant leak on the drivers side block and the rear grinding noise repaired while I am there also.
The car is 100% stock, with 15,000 miles on it. I am glad I didn't start modding it yet, that would have just created a hassle with the warranty I'm sure.
Wow,

Sorry to hear about this. I'm happy the vehicle is currently in for service and I welcome any updates you provide. If you do not have a GM case with us and would like to start one, you're encouraged to contact us privately.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Sux, hope it gets done quick
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Thanks for the input. To me it sounds like there are some mechanical problems that have not been previously noted that you are experiencing. Please do keep us updated.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
ZL1 TIBS

I'll will definitely update as the work progresses. Thank you for your concern William, so far Armen Chevrolet in Ardmore, PA has done everything right. I test drove with the tech who will be doing the work and he seemed very knowledgeable on the manual transmissions and they hooked me up with a loaner car with minimal hassle.
I searched the forum prior to taking the car in and didn't see many 3rd gear problems, so hopefully I just had a bad part. The only prior symptom I had was not being able to get into 3rd consistently when using no lift shift. It wouldn't grind, it just wouldn't go into gear. Under normal driving, 3rd gear was like butter.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
I saw this problem posted here before. The guy got a new trans. It was a few months back.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
I'll will definitely update as the work progresses. Thank you for your concern William, so far Armen Chevrolet in Ardmore, PA has done everything right. I test drove with the tech who will be doing the work and he seemed very knowledgeable on the manual transmissions and they hooked me up with a loaner car with minimal hassle.
I searched the forum prior to taking the car in and didn't see many 3rd gear problems, so hopefully I just had a bad part. The only prior symptom I had was not being able to get into 3rd consistently when using no lift shift. It wouldn't grind, it just wouldn't go into gear. Under normal driving, 3rd gear was like butter.
Thanks so much,

Very pleasing to hear how well the dealer's service has been for you. Any updates you can provide are definitely appreciated.

Regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
ZL1 TIBS

Quick update, called the dealer today and they are installing a new transmission. I believe they were originally going to rebuild it, so i don't know what changed their minds, but this works out better. After that they are going to repair the coolant leak and rear end noise. I may have the car back tomorrow. So far so good.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
ZL1 TIBS

I am going to ask when I pick up, but does anyone know if I have to go through 1500 mile break in again for the transmission. I sure as he// hope not.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Quote:
My car has less than 4000 miles and sometimes does the same thing in 2nd when it is cold. Hopefully I am not earlier in your process...
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
ninsecgt

Drives: 2017 zl1
Check pm ref. customer care not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Wow,

Sorry to hear about this. I'm happy the vehicle is currently in for service and I welcome any updates you provide. If you do not have a GM case with us and would like to start one, you're encouraged to contact us privately.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
See pm message brother. Take care
ninsecgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
ZL1 TIBS

Got you Ninsecgt, thanks. Got the car back Friday morning. Everything seems fine, A touch of gear noise while cold which I attribute to the trans breaking in. They replaced the coolant fitting in the block and performed the rear end fluid service. The dealer told me no break in of the trans required so I guess I am good for 80 MPH+/4000RPM+. Does anybody know any different as far as trans break in? I know when I put the Tremec TKO-600 in my 68 Camaro I had a 500 mile break-in period.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #13
Outlaw-ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
How did this the rebuild work out for you? I noticed that 3rd gear is starting to get hung up on me. If I go from 2nd to 3rd very 10th shift it gets stuck and I have to jostle it over to the right a bit to engage 3rd. I'm calling service tomorrow, but thought I'd ask if ether was anything specific you discussed with the dealer that pushed them to swap the tranny.

Thanks in advance!
Christ
Outlaw-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote