Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #337
Jackster

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to Jackster
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Here's one of them. I still think it is inferior to the concept. Chubby cheeks
I never thought I'd say this, but the production front end, especially the turn signals looks waaaaaaaaay more aggresive and stylish. the bumpers is great as well. some of you guys are sticking way too much to the concept vision IMHO, which really doesn't have to be the ultimate one...
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #338
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
thank you, Mr. GreenRail!

This was NOT a case of ".....let's take Herman over there and lil Susie over here and Billy Rae over yonder and Edna Lou atwixt the other two....and let's put 'em to work on a Camero!..."
What's a Camero?
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #339
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
What's a Camero?
I used that as a way of showing that we didn't just pick anyone to work on the new Camaro -- the team has PASSION for this product.......and none of us could possibly be prouder of what we're about to present to you......
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #340
Yardgnome
Do the truffle shuffle

Drives: its black and its a POS :)
I hope passion also means I can drool over the car like an infant, and receive several speeding tickets in the 1st week of owning the new Camaro.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #341
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
I used that as a way of showing that we didn't just pick anyone to work on the new Camaro -- the team has PASSION for this product.......and none of us could possibly be prouder of what we're about to present to you......
I knew you did it on purpose. I just remember how much flack Camero got for his username when he started posting.

I can't wait until GM releases the "Build Your Own" section on the Chevy website. I can see myself spending hours making my own dream car.

The car I've wanted since I was denied a best friend's immaculate '94 Z28 because I couldn't afford it. He needed to sell it to buy an engagement ring and he begged me to buy it so he could keep it close, but eventually sold it on Ebay. That Camaro was by far the most fun I've ever ever had driving a car. He's coming with me to pick up my SS/RS in June of next year. I'm sure it's going to be an emotional event for all.

I can't begin to say how thankful I am to GM for bringing this car back from the dead. Thank you Scott, and everyone else at GM who put everything into this car. Calling it just a car doesn't even feel right; to me it feels like something more.

Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #342
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
I don't think that there were any questions about this. It's long been known that it was jointly developed by the best of the best sports car enthusiast/engineers within GM.

Anyone else get the "WEIGH IN ON THE NEW CAMARO" e-mail this week? I just filled out the complete survey on the vehicle and was pleasantly surprised on the pricing ranges on the options for the car.

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #343
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
[QUOTE=stovt001;121008]I understand safety and modern conveniences add a lot to weight. I understand the Mustang is an older design and therefore lacks some of these features (and IRS) keeping weight down. However, my problem comes when comparing the SS to the G8 GT. They were both built on a similar platform with similar drivetrains. The G8 has two extra doors, one extra seat, more standard options (at least things I assume the Camaro SS won't have standard), and its a full size sedan as opposed to the midsize coupe that is the Camaro, yet they weight almost exactly the same. I just don't understand
how that happened. As I've said before, if the Camaro acts like the V8 and seems to magically shrink around you as you drive it, then this isn't a problem at all. However since some reviews are making mention of above-average weight, I think it is a valid point to consider.[/QUOTE]

And what reviews might those be? Some of the early reviews of the V-6 have been very positive. None of the major Mags or Websites has published anything about the SS version yet. everything has been pure speculation up to this point in time.

What is even more amazing to me is the stream of messages on this and several other boards slapping GM around for the lap times around the Nurburgring. Folks, you gotta keep in mind that those times were done with a preproduction car. (IVER?)

The HHR SS times were done with an actual production car. Some how, I have a suspicion, that more will come on this as the actual production cars come into existance.

Scott is so right, these vehicles were not created in vacuum. There was a lot of research and engineering done on them. In addition, based on Scott's comments, a lot of this involved people outside the "Camaro Community." Which is a good thing. Let's face it as Camaro Enthusiasts we have a huge bias towards our beloved favorite car. (and there is nothing wrong with that - It is known as Passion!)

But, if GM was to depend on us to support production, they would be dead in the water. They need to sell as many as they can and not just to the "Camaro Community."

The reality here is that this is a consumer driven business. Not everyone wants or needs a Sports Coupe like the Camaro. Which is why GM and other manufacturers have the diverse universe of choices on the market. Some need coupes, Some need Sedans, Some need commuter cars, trucks, suv's or whatever suits their purpose.

The comments about the similarity between the weight of the G8 and the Camaro, leads me to believe that a lot of the weight in each vehicle stems from the varous safety, environmental, and structural requirements of these vehicles.

It ends up as to how you package and stretch them to meet the needs of the market for which each vehicle is intended.

Last edited by greenrail; 08-29-2008 at 03:23 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #344
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I can't remember which articles, but a few made mention of it being heavy, though none said the weight retarded performance. As long as that is the case and you don't notice the weight, it doesn't worry me. In fact I always felt the G8 was light for what it was, a RWD V8 powered full-size sedan. What DGthe3 said makes a ton of sense. I think all reviews noted how rigid and solid it felt, so reinforcements probably made up the difference in weight lost from the G8 due to the Camaro being smaller and probably not as fully equipped.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #345
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I understand safety and modern conveniences add a lot to weight. I understand the Mustang is an older design and therefore lacks some of these features (and IRS) keeping weight down. However, my problem comes when comparing the SS to the G8 GT. They were both built on a similar platform with similar drivetrains. The G8 has two extra doors, one extra seat, more standard options (at least things I assume the Camaro SS won't have standard), and its a full size sedan as opposed to the midsize coupe that is the Camaro, yet they weight almost exactly the same. I just don't understand
how that happened. As I've said before, if the Camaro acts like the V8 and seems to magically shrink around you as you drive it, then this isn't a problem at all. However since some reviews are making mention of above-average weight, I think it is a valid point to consider.
That G8 you're talking about, the one with the weight similarity to the Camaro? That car has been praised time and again by the auto mags for its precise handling and power. They all rave over how nimble a track performer it is, even for a four door sedan. It has won in every comparison test I can think of. Now I pose a question to you. Why are you worried about how the weight will affect Camaro's sportability when this similarly equipped car is a top class performer? Keep in mind that it's also has two more doors and 50 less horses, and is minus a six speed transmission.

I hope this settles the community weight concern.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #346
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Well my post above yours answers part of that, but to add: the G8, being a full-size sedan, went up against a lot of heavier cars as most RWD V8 powered full-size sedans weight well north of 4000 lbs. The V6 Camaro, on the other hand, will be going up against lighter cars like the RX8 and the Mustang. I'm not sure what the weight of the Genesis coupe is, but if it is lighter throw it on that list too. I'm not saying it has to be that light to beat them (clearly it will beat them regardless) but lower weight does help.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #347
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Well my post above yours answers part of that, but to add: the G8, being a full-size sedan, went up against a lot of heavier cars as most RWD V8 powered full-size sedans weight well north of 4000 lbs. The V6 Camaro, on the other hand, will be going up against lighter cars like the RX8 and the Mustang. I'm not sure what the weight of the Genesis coupe is, but if it is lighter throw it on that list too. I'm not saying it has to be that light to beat them (clearly it will beat them regardless) but lower weight does help.
The only time the V6 Camaro will lose is if they compare it out of its class. In it's class of RWD V6 sports coupes (price range 19-24k) it completely dominates.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #348
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaguy View Post
Definately gotta go with lightweight and cheap there. Not in an airplane of course, but Camaro...absolutely.

However your post makes sense because in reality, auto manufacturing by law must incorporate safety. And safety = weight
you should lose the corolla and get a nice 2000 ss
Z/28orSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #349
flaguy

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Spring Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
you should lose the corolla and get a nice 2000 ss
No way in hell. Its has just a tick over 30k miles and will be paid off within a year. Once it gets paid off it's SS (5th gen not 4th) time for daddy!!! But no, Corolla is staying. Great for gas and never had a problem. Oh....and the 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty doesn't hurt.
flaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #350
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
How stuff gets taken so far so out of hand I will never ever know.

Guys, chances are you'll never meet any of these faceless people you interact with on this board, so let go of whatever disagreements you have with one another, and don't assume you know what context someone else is speaking in because unless you're that person you really don't know. If you want to debate with someone take it off the thread and do it in a PM. This stuff is getting ridiculous.