Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #99
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
The 2nd gen 5.0 will get charge motion control valves that will produce the lower end torque that the coyote presently doesnt generate.. I dont think the lt1 will decimate the 5.0 whatsoever. The 5.0 will get d.i in 2016, making close to 470+ hp...Gm will need to make sure the next camaro isn't a fat pig like it is now ( I had a 2011), the game is going to get very interesting in a year or so. Gearing is going to be crucial in both of these.
70 lb ft of torque is a massive difference. Unless the new 5.0 adds about 40 or 50 lb ft of torque, that is still a big difference. I'm sure there will be a good bump in torque but we have to wait and see how much exactly.


I would be shocked to see DI added next year. The heads on the 2nd gen 5.0 are new, as far as I know. Unless they added provisions for DI and didn't run it for the 2015 model which wouldn't make any sense.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #100
87GNX

 
87GNX's Avatar
 
Drives: Alot
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Norcalifas
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
70 lb ft of torque is a massive difference. Unless the new 5.0 adds about 40 or 50 lb ft of torque, that is still a big difference. I'm sure there will be a good bump in torque but we have to wait and see how much exactly.


I would be shocked to see DI added next year. The heads on the 2nd gen 5.0 are new, as far as I know. Unless they added provisions for DI and didn't run it for the 2015 model which wouldn't make any sense.
I agree on the torque, but d.i should be available in 2016. I dont see ford doing anything till they have to. That's just the way Ford operates.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #101
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
I agree on the torque, but d.i should be available in 2016. I dont see ford doing anything till they have to. That's just the way Ford operates.
It just seems backwards to sit on an update when you know exactly what the other guy is bringing.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #102
87GNX

 
87GNX's Avatar
 
Drives: Alot
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Norcalifas
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It just seems backwards to sit on an update when you know exactly what the other guy is bringing.
Look how the heads have had the provisions since 2011, Ford still hasnt done squat about it. Also, they haven't even released any numbers on the 2015. It's backwards as you say, but that's Ford for ya.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #103
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Look how the heads have had the provisions since 2011, Ford still hasnt done squat about it. Also, they haven't even released any numbers on the 2015. It's backwards as you say, but that's Ford for ya.
The Coyote heads never had provisions for DI. Many people thought they did but that ended up being something else in the heads.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #104
87GNX

 
87GNX's Avatar
 
Drives: Alot
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Norcalifas
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Coyote heads never had provisions for DI. Many people thought they did but that ended up being something else in the heads.
Proof?
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #105
4VFTW
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2013 Mustang GT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 73
Mustangs are rolling off the assembly line today and we still dont know how much power they will have
4VFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #106
1QwikZ28
 
Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Coyote heads never had provisions for DI. Many people thought they did but that ended up being something else in the heads.
Many people thought this because it was directly stated by the Coyote engineering team. As a matter of fact, I was just reading the article in an past issue of MM&FF where the engineer was talking about the provisions for later use of DI.
1QwikZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #107
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,030
The coyote engine already has good power, with DI it will be that much better...and no, I am no Ford fanboy, just pissed Ford made a "heritage 302" and Chevy didn't with the Z/28
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #108
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Proof?
From what I read, there was some kind of bump in the chamber that people thought was the location for a DI injector but there was actually no room in the head. I read the bump was for swirl or flame propagation. I can't find it now because all that's popping up is rumors for the new generation.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #109
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
The coyote engine already has good power, with DI it will be that much better...and no, I am no Ford fanboy, just pissed Ford made a "heritage 302" and Chevy didn't with the Z/28
Ford built a new 5.0 because the displacement of their engines is limited by the much closer bore spacing of the modular block.


Would you be happy if the Z/28 only had 350 horsepower? Because a that's about all it would have while still being smog legal.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #110
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot
 
crysalis_01's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 923
Here's one of the images from the 2011 cut away display 5.0's

__________________
'03 SVT Cobra-SC4.6L V8 || modded with mods'n'stuff
crysalis_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #111
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot
 
crysalis_01's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 923
These are the DI equipped 3.6L v6 heads.



Notice the grooves that allow the placement of the injectors. That's where the 5.0's heads would need to be "reworked".
__________________
'03 SVT Cobra-SC4.6L V8 || modded with mods'n'stuff
crysalis_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #112
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Here's one of the images from the 2011 cut away display 5.0's

If that was a boss for a DI injector, it looks like the injector would be vertical in the head.

I could be wrong. I just read a few places it wasn't what people thought.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.