Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Air-to-water Intercooling?

I wonder if anyone else has considered going for a custom air-to-water intercooler setup for their car. There is potential for better throttle response from shorter charge pipes compared to a front mount kit, slightly more power from reduced pressure drop across the core, and better intake air temperature management, at the cost of slightly more weight and complexity than the normal air-to-air coolers.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
An air to air is going to be a better setup for a daily or mostly street driven car.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bsaget007 View Post
I wonder if anyone else has considered going for a custom air-to-water intercooler setup for their car. There is potential for better throttle response from shorter charge pipes compared to a front mount kit, slightly more power from reduced pressure drop across the core, and better intake air temperature management, at the cost of slightly more weight and complexity than the normal air-to-air coolers.

Well if your gonna go custom, may as well go full on custom. Why not add a freon system to cool the water as well, and really cool that charge down!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
At some point, when I have some time (LOL!), I 'm going to make an intake manifold with a built in air-to water "intercooler" using laminova intercooler cores. I already have the cores, just need time.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
At some point, when I have some time (LOL!), I 'm going to make an intake manifold with a built in air-to water "intercooler" using laminova intercooler cores. I already have the cores, just need time.
Sweet. Kinda like what BMW does with their B58 engine?

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bsaget007 View Post
Sweet. Kinda like what BMW does with their B58 engine?
Yeah, similar to that, but with laminova cores.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Exportedafrican

Drives: 1964 Lotus 7 with an LTG
Honestly the gains are often only there in 2 forms.
1. If you use ice to get liquid temps below ambient. That often doesn't last long but works for drag racing

2. Reducing length of piping significantly but this is often thought of as a gain on a manual trans. Many autos will have logic to downshift and thus get back into boost faster

For my car I'm considering water because of tight space. I don't love the added weight it will incur
Exportedafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Unless you're a full on race car that sees limited street use, a turbo car will do perfectly fine with a air to air. You look at almost any street build and 99.9% use an air to air well over 1000whp. Any benefit from an iced water to air will be gone after a couple of pulls and you are left with the hassle of filling and draining the tank and the weight and complexity of the system. We aren't looking for the last bit of power from these cars, you could turn it up 1psi and have the same effect.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Unless you're a full on race car that sees limited street use, a turbo car will do perfectly fine with a air to air. You look at almost any street build and 99.9% use an air to air well over 1000whp. Any benefit from an iced water to air will be gone after a couple of pulls and you are left with the hassle of filling and draining the tank and the weight and complexity of the system. We aren't looking for the last bit of power from these cars, you could turn it up 1psi and have the same effect.
You have got to be the biggest debbie downer on the I4 across the entire forum. Even the V8 guys. I think its because you realize you made the wrong choice too late. Should have gone V8 or I4. Instead, you sit there with all of your knowledge, yet can do nothing with it to your V6...You could always trade in ya know..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
You have got to be the biggest debbie downer on the I4 across the entire forum. Even the V8 guys. I think its because you realize you made the wrong choice too late. Should have gone V8 or I4. Instead, you sit there with all of your knowledge, yet can do nothing with it to your V6...You could always trade in ya know..
So by suggesting one intercooler setup over another I'm downing the engine? Your reading comprehension must need help because I'm offering my opinion on improving the turbo 4 setups based on my knowledge on building and racing fast turbo 4 cylinder cars over the last 18 years. My Camaro is my daily, I race a 500whp CRX at the track. I didn't feel the need to buy another turbo 4 to build so I went with the V6. Now take a deep breath and calm down.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
So by suggesting one intercooler setup over another I'm downing the engine? Your reading comprehension must need help because I'm offering my opinion on improving the turbo 4 setups based on my knowledge on building and racing fast turbo 4 cylinder cars over the last 18 years. My Camaro is my daily, I race a 500whp CRX at the track. I didn't feel the need to buy another turbo 4 to build so I went with the V6. Now take a deep breath and calm down.

No, its not just your latest statements. Its your collective, miss-informed ramblings in general all across the forums. (You know, the same reason someone calls you out in nearly every post you make)

As far as the 2.0T goes...
Yes...YES... We are all well aware of your fabulous Honda racing history. Well guess what??

These arn't Hondas.
When you buy one of these and start modding it, then by all means come back and make theoretical statements about what will or won't work for these cars. Until then, hop back in your super sweet Honda, and race back over to the v6 section.

P.S. You have got to stop giving bad, or just plain wrong dealer level advice.
Once again, these arn't Hondas, GM does things differently.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 09-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
No, its not just your latest statements. Its your collective, miss-informed ramblings in general all across the forums. (You know, the same reason someone calls you out in nearly every post you make)

As far as the 2.0T goes...
Yes...YES... We are all well aware of your fabulous Honda racing history. Well guess what??

These arn't Hondas.
When you buy one of these and start modding it, then by all means come back and make theoretical statements about what will or won't work for these cars. Until then, hop back in your super sweet Honda, and race back over to the v6 section.

P.S. You have got to stop giving bad, or just plain wrong dealer level advice.
Once again, these arn't Hondas, GM does things differently.
+1 these also aren't your traditional tuneable cars like your hondas.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #13
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
+1 these also aren't your traditional tuneable cars like your hondas.
That has zero to do with using a water to air over an air to air. That's the point I was making but others have to go completely off subject trying to discredit someone because they don't have an educated reply to the actual subject.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Dodge uses the AC to chill the water in the Demon intercooler, and every true turbo racer i talk to at my local strip has a water chiller of some sort in their loop. Its a great idea that is getting more and more attention. But, personally, I'd rather see someone get a reliable, safe, water/meth injection kit for the LTG. There's a ton of universal water/meth injection kits, but it's all DIY and tune at your own risk. Let's see someone duplicate the type of system on the BMW M4 GTS...
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote