Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Fret not, it could’ve been worse. In the late 1980’s the wife drove a diesel Mercedes. You know where this is going...I was about 6 gal too into a fill up when I noticed I was putting in 87 octane GAS, not diesel. Had to park it, call a tow truck to the dealer and have the tank dropped and drained. At least I caught it before melting the head in that oil burning, 4 banger.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Fret not, it could’ve been worse. In the late 1980’s the wife drove a diesel Mercedes. You know where this is going...I was about 6 gal too into a fill up when I noticed I was putting in 87 octane GAS, not diesel. Had to park it, call a tow truck to the dealer and have the tank dropped and drained. At least I caught it before melting the head in that oil burning, 4 banger.

WOW you talk about out of the pocket expence catch in time.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Man, I'm feeling now too...

So, last weekend I went for a drive... it was late, around midnight. Yeah, sometimes I just go for a drive lol... Anyway, needed gas.

After a nice run up I15, I hit one of my usual watering holes... The ride was about an 1/8th from empty.

I stopped and began pumping gas. I was 6 gallons in before I noticed I was putting 87 Octane in it!!

Crap! WTF! Not cool... never have I ever! It was late and to my defense, I put 87 in my work pickup truck... but in the Camaro?!?!? NEVER BEFORE!

Anyway, stopped pumping immediately. Started again with 91 but quickly remembered I had one of those LUCAS Fuel injector cleaners with octane boost in the trunk... supposedly, ya don't need to use hi octane fuel with one of those. Hmm... I added the stuff to my tank, and pumped 8 more gallons of 91 Octane.

I'm not worried per say, but I am concerned about having to drive with about half a freakin tank of low octane fuel... and to top it off, I feel it. It seems that the Lucas stuff didn't work before the fuel mapping on my car seems to have taken a step back to 87 Octane.

I reckon I just have to burn it off before I pull the 5 and 20 again and/or retune...

Just had to share this knucklehead move... moral of the story, Watch what you're doing lol

Your engines toast dude . Give the car to me ,I'll take care of it .I got your back.