Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Are YOU ready ?

To properly care for your car ?

for the past two years ive been using my Envoy as the guinea pig for car care.Tossing out products i dont like and keeping(and promoting) stuff that works great .
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
That's funny, I was just practicing on my wifes car this weekend.

Three words for you guys. Ceramic Brake Pads.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

i dont think it gets any better than that.Getting ready for a fabulous car,and keeping the wife happy all at the same time.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
Nice. So promote some of the stuff that you really like
I would kill for a gale banks diesel powered camaro. I would have so much torque and power that whenever I go to parades I would be physically able to throw torque out the window like candy for the kids.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
All stocked up on the Zanio.... Good man
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

Must be nice, Friggen 20 degrees where I'm at
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Timberline

Drives: 2010 SS/RS,LS3,M6,VR
I will be using the clay bar before I apply any wax. I did this with my 2002 Black Silverado crew cab 3500....yes, it is a lot of truck....anyway when vehicles travel by rail car very fine iron shavings become inbedded in the horizontal surfaces i.e. hood, roof etc The clay bar will remove the shavings and it will show up rust color on the clay bar. I did the entire truck but 90% of the shavings were on the hood & roof.

I prefer use Meguires products and like the results.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
i dont think it gets any better than that.Getting ready for a fabulous car,and keeping the wife happy all at the same time.
Multitasking is easy and often rewarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
Must be nice, Friggen 20 degrees where I'm at
Sunny and 65 here today. Think I'll practice some on my sons future Jeep Liberty.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Clay Bar here too before I wax
Old 01-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
there a thread floating around here somewhere with cleaning . waxing tips ?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
It has been a long time since I have had a black car, what is it about the "Clay Bar"? I am getting a black camaro. I am good on the mechanical side of things, but am going to need some help on keeping this car in the best looking condition. Any help in getting ready would be helpful.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdmax View Post
It has been a long time since I have had a black car, what is it about the "Clay Bar"? I am getting a black camaro. I am good on the mechanical side of things, but am going to need some help on keeping this car in the best looking condition. Any help in getting ready would be helpful.
CLay bar will remove stuff that just washing the vehicle won't... like pollution, brake dust and other crud. It'll leave you with a really smooth glass like finish.

Other then that I dunno, I just use it lol.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:43 PM   #13
Nexus6
More human than human

Step 1—STRIP THE OLD WAX
Wash the car, going top to bottom, with Dawn UltraŽ liquid detergent.
Thoroughly rinse the car with a pressurized hose and spray nozzle. Make sure all detergent soap is gone. Leave Dawn in the kitchen since you'll never use it again on your car.
Dry completely using only clean, soft, absorbent towels.

Step 2—REMOVE CONTAMINANTS AND PREPARE THE SURFACE
Feel all paint surfaces. They should be glassy smooth. Contaminated rough areas are quickly minimized using Zaino Z-18 Claybar™ and a soap and water lubricant. Re-wash and dry the treated areas.
Look for hazy paint, swirl marks or fine scratches. Imperfections are reduced using Zaino's Z-PC Fusion™ paint cleaner and swirl remover.
Add a light coat of Z-AIO™ to all paint as the foundation and bonding agent. Remove with clean, soft towels.

Step 3—APPLY AND REMOVE ZAINO POLISH*
CHOOSE THE RIGHT ZAINO POLISH FOR YOUR VEHICLE'S PAINT
Z-2 PRO™ Show Car Polish is for paint with a clear coat finish—virtually all modern cars.
Z-3™ Show Car Polish is for paint without a clear coat—vintage cars, special aftermarket paint, etc.
Z-5 PRO™ Show Car Polish is just like Z-2, but helps hide swirls and micro scratches in dark color paint.
Spray a little Z-6 Gloss Enhancer™ on your Zaino Polish Applicator. Apply Zaino polish to the paint. Use up/down motions on vertical surfaces, and front/rear (front to back of car) motions on horizontal.
Allow the polish to dry and chemically bond on the entire car for at least fifteen minutes. To test for dry, wipe an area with a finger. Dry polish is slightly powdery and comes off with one stroke, revealing clear dry paint underneath. Low temperature or high humidity can increase drying time up to two to three hours. Remove the dried polish using high quality towels.
When all polish is removed, spray a light coat of Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. Immediately buff dry.

Now you can substitute your own brand of products ,as the process is pretty much the same no matter what brand . out of all the polishes and waxes i have ever used , i really do recommend the Zaino. It has given me the best results, i was like other people at one time " wax is wax" until i used that . using the ZFX quick curing addtive in the polish with Z-6 in between coats is grweat for the first time.You can do 3 coats in one session .So polish then gloss enhance 3 times or two times with the Z-6 and after the 3rd coat of polish you can use the sealer.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I will annually budget for more car treatments than guys who own a CCX, Murcielago, or any other exotic. My car will be the sexiest of its year as they age because I will treat mine like it is the last of its kind.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote