Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #477
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC View Post
I'll have to ask on Monday in our production meeting and ill let you know!
Any update on time frame?
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #478
Rigzo510

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC View Post
I'll have to ask on Monday in our production meeting and ill let you know!
No word on the cats yet?
Rigzo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #479
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
Btw, Kooks said the car was lean and that caused the cat to fail. They said it is not covered under warranty. After taking the heads off, I found the valves had bent due to piston contact. The Patriot Gold valve springs were defective.

So I wonder if they think all these people on this multipage thread all are lean???
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #480
04GOAT-11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 2004 GTO
I haven't read all of the last 20 pages in their entirety but from what I've read I didn't see much mentioned about engine operation affecting the converters life. When a converter oxidizes HC and CO or reduces NOx, heat is generated. This is why the outlet temperature of a converter is higher than the inlet temperature. So during a misfire (high HC levels), rich condition (High HC and CO) or any condition that would cause combustion peak temps above 2500*F (high NOx) your forcing the converter to work harder, generating more heat, making it more likely to fail and break down. This is why a misfire will cause the check engine light to flash. To worn the driver that the converter is potentially being damaged because of raw fuel (Hydrocarbon) overheating it.

With that, I'm not disagreeing about the poor quality of most aftermarket converters. Most fail at cleaning up the exhaust. Currently the EPA only requires that replacement converters be 70% efficient at cleaning up HC and CO while a lot of vehicle manufactures require 90% efficiency to keep the light off. This is the reason why I won't install an aftermarket converter on a customers car.

Last edited by 04GOAT-11SS; 10-28-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: removed incorrect info
04GOAT-11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #481
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GOAT-11SS View Post
I haven't read all of the last 20 pages in their entirety but from what I've read I didn't see much mentioned about engine operation affecting the converters life. When a converter oxidizes HC and CO or reduces NOx, heat is generated. This is why the outlet temperature of a converter is higher than the inlet temperature. So during a misfire (high HC levels), rich condition (High HC and CO) or any condition that would cause combustion peak temps above 2500*F (high NOx) your forcing the converter to work harder, generating more heat, making it more likely to fail and break down. This is why a misfire will cause the check engine light to flash. To worn the driver that the converter is potentially being damaged because of raw fuel (Hydrocarbon) overheating it.

So if your running rich all the time (not just at WOT) or have a misfire then your going to shorten the life of the converter.

With that, I'm not disagreeing about the poor quality of most aftermarket converters. Most fail at cleaning up the exhaust. Currently the EPA only requires that replacement converters be 70% efficient at cleaning up HC and CO while a lot of vehicle manufactures require 90% efficiency to keep the light off. This is the reason why I won't install an aftermarket converter on a customers car.
Actually rich condition will lower the cat temp. When the cat temp reaches a certain value the ECM add fuel to the mixture to cool the cats.
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #482
04GOAT-11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 2004 GTO
Maybe I wasn't looking at the full picture here. A rich condition causes high levels of Carbon Monoxide and low levels of O2 (as CO goes up O2 goes down). Naturally, oxygen is needed for oxidation. If the engine is running consistently rich and not switching lean (as it's designed to do in closed loop operation) there won't be enough O2 to oxidize the CO thus no heat generated.

During normal operation the AFR switches rich to lean from about 14.5-14.9:1 . The cerium between the reduction and oxidation catalyst stores oxygen during lean conditions and releases it during rich conditions. This allows CO to be oxidized even when pre-cat o2 content is momentarily low. If o2 content is consistently low, the cerium will have nothing to store. So, I stand corrected. An excessively rich condition shouldn't cause catalytic converter failure due to melting on 5th gens.

However, if the vehicle were equipped with an air injection system, the CO resulting from a rich condition would cause converter overheating as O2 would be introduced via the AIR pump.
04GOAT-11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #483
PIC

Drives: 2005 YJM6 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigzo510 View Post
No word on the cats yet?
Hey man, I'm really sorry for the long wait, I'll go into as much detail as I possibly can here. Basially, I work for the company that makes all the cores and housings and such for catalytic converters. We've been having to send them out to get coated which not only ups the price but makes the quality not as good as if we were to do it in house. Our owner started our own coating company that these cats will be sold through. Just last week they finished building the addition onto our building to house the new company. We are still waiting for this company to get rolling and everything before were able to really start marketing them. We are going to make them and they will be available at a very good price. I will try to get an expected date for you. Once again, Im sorry for the long wait. Thanks!
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #484
PIC

BTW guys.....we have our first couple of prototypes of these new cats installed on a
F1R procharged G8 GT making 870hp and havent seen any problems so far. Im sorry everybody for the wacky time frames and such, but when you start up a coating business, it takes a while to get all the necessary permits and such to run such a business. I will try to get a time frame fo you guys.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #485
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Have TVS 2300 + Long Tubes and Cats. Driving around at least an hour, the engine temp, oil temp is good. The supercharger is only warm to the touch. Not hot at all. Car is custom tuned, probably helps a lot.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #486
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by james347 View Post
Have TVS 2300 + Long Tubes and Cats. Driving around at least an hour, the engine temp, oil temp is good. The supercharger is only warm to the touch. Not hot at all. Car is custom tuned, probably helps a lot.
What brand of headers are they?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #487
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Are you guys willing to send out prototype cats to the people you wanted to test the cats for you?
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #488
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Subscribed to this, I have a feeling I should be checking my cats :\
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #489
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Just found out that I blew out my cats a couple of weeks ago.

They were Thunderbolt Mettalic cats 3" inlet and outlet

The cores broke loose from the housing and were rattling around, they moved so much that it started smashing up the rear and closing them off.
they have been Deleted now..lol
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #490
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Are you guys willing to send out prototype cats to the people you wanted to test the cats for you?
Yes we will still be sending out prototypes to those that were told they would receive them. Owner told me today that we are in the January or February time frame as of right now. Unfortunately when a project like this comes along, we can't just drop everything and work on these since we have contracts we have to fulfill before anything else, but we still have been working on these for quite some time.