Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
I had the exact issue on the inside of the deck lid on my 2011. I noticed it less than 2 weeks after taking delivery back in early 2011. Not sure what it was, but I had the body shop fix it when they pulled the deck lid off to paint my stripes. I believe the sheet metal is galvanized steel, but I do not know if he galvanize is single or double sided. I do not think it was rust, but I had it fixed anyway.
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
It's spooge that got painted over... don't you love the professional terminology we have been using in this thread? lol

If it bothers you take it to the Body Shop at your favorite Dealer, they will probably tell you it's spooge and not to worry about it.

If it bothers you enough to get it painted you may have to pay for it out of pocket. It is getting to be too old to get it fixed under warranty for cosmetic reasons and since it's not rust it's not covered by that part of the warranty.

JMHO
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
...I think you'll find that every car regardless of manufacturer will have some detectable cosmetic flaw...
That's a fact.

If this were me, considering that this is not a part of the vehicle with a higher expectation of flawlessness (like, say, a smooth exterior surface), I would give it a little sanding/ grinding (like with a Dremel), then hit it with a few dabs of touch- up paint. It seems to meet consensus among C5ers here that it's not rust... so no worries there. A few dabs of touch- up paint, and it will simply look like a painted- over weld... and will certainly never "catch anybody's eye."

I doubt that the dealership/ manufacturer will "fix" it, as it's pretty benign. Besides, even if they DID, you'd be without your car, driving around in a crappy rental Nissan Leaf for a week and a half. Dremel and touch- up? $15 and 30 minutes.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #18
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Spike III Build

Quote:
Well, that's your opinion but I think you'll find that every car regardless of manufacturer will have some detectable cosmetic flaw in secondary structure. You might feel it should be "taken care of" but as a customer service rep for a product costing many times what that Camaro cost, my professional opinion is that the product met whatever minimum acceptable quality requirement was in place when built, the vehicle was purchased as an acceptable vehicle, and until an actual fault occurs within the warranty period for corrosion, it is extremely unlikely that this will be "taken care of" at GM's cost.

If this can be shown to qualify as an actual fault, then that's a different story. But an owner being unhappy with the visual appearance of messy seam sealer inside the trunklid is a tall order. That situation ranks up there with an underhood decal not being quite square.
I agree w/you I'm just stating it is ugly and I'm very fussy. I would first take it to the dealer to see how we could take cake of this problem. Even if I had to pay 4 part of it. It might take a week but I don't care cause it would go to my painter. But I guarantee I wouldn't be driving anything but a Chevy. But all is well.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #19
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Spooge. LOL!

It's the sealant that goes into the void under the folded over sheet metal, and some got squeezed out and painted over.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Spooge. LOL!

It's the sealant that goes into the void under the folded over sheet metal, and some got squeezed out and painted over.

Yup "spooge" it's a super technical automotive term... lol
Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #21
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Well, that's your opinion but I think you'll find that every car regardless of manufacturer will have some detectable cosmetic flaw in secondary structure. You might feel it should be "taken care of" but as a customer service rep for a product costing many times what that Camaro cost, my professional opinion is that the product met whatever minimum acceptable quality requirement was in place when built, the vehicle was purchased as an acceptable vehicle, and until an actual fault occurs within the warranty period for corrosion, it is extremely unlikely that this will be "taken care of" at GM's cost.

If this can be shown to qualify as an actual fault, then that's a different story. But an owner being unhappy with the visual appearance of messy seam sealer inside the trunklid is a tall order. That situation ranks up there with an underhood decal not being quite square.
Your right about the sealer...by the time it would be noticed..the car would be out of the oven and on the line....it would be rock hard and painted already.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #22
#1stunner

Drives: 2011 syn. green ls
i got a 2011 also and have the same thing on the inside of the trunk and on both doors.it sucks but what are you going to do?
#1stunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #23
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1stunner View Post
i got a 2011 also and have the same thing on the inside of the trunk and on both doors.it sucks but what are you going to do?
well, from what it looks like and based on everyone's opinion, seems it is a paint glitch. I was just worried it was corrosion. Next time that I go to the dealer ill ask them for their opinion about what is it.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #24
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Have you poked it?
yes i did, does not feels soft to the touch. I just didnt want to scrap it or a anything like that
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Car Spooge! Eeeeeewww!!! Lol