Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #141
BUZZCAMARO

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
If I remember correctly the 3" magnaflow x wont fit in the cavity. The 2.5inch version barely fits as it is.
Thanks for the detailed answers, I have some phone # of local shops, but than thought of this: Why not seach ebay for 3" cat-backs for Camaro, which I did, and I wonder if this would fit my '12 V6, it is for a ZL1, it is of course stainless and comes with the cool looking dual tips:

(I'd just add the 11385 by carefully measuring and cutting)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Wo...91bbc1&vxp=mtr

Hope that link works, if not it is sold by Stainless works, they also for the same price sell the "factory fit", in which it starts out with the pipes in a Y shape.

Anybody know if these ZL1 cat-backs will fit the V6?

(Song I can't get outa my head..Cat back fever, da da da, ddd Cat back fever)
BUZZCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #142
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
What we did isn't a full 3" cat back. That will probably kill your low end.
It will it though.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 AM   #143
BUZZCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
What we did isn't a full 3" cat back. That will probably kill your low end.
It will it though.
Right, I don't know how close you were reading my replies, but all along, this has been about the 11385 + 3" pipes, with the 2nd cats delete.

That said, the system for the ZL1 from Stainless (which I linked to) is exactly what you have IF you add on the 11385. ... So, if I put that on with the 11385 would this not be the same amount of back pressure?

I'd be paying many X more for stainless, if going that way I'd want to be sure I am getting pipes that will fit my V6, I could go to their website and ask, this is just off the cuff.

BTW, I'm still driving mine around with no pipes past the rear axel, just the 11385 + factory pipes up to it (where I had an axel back system) and I'm still digging it very much but can only imagine the sound if it was deeper like a V8.

Usually, the best sound you can get from a V6 is to keep it as quiet as possible.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #144
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
v8 owner former v6 chiming in. This is probably the closest I have seen to a v8 at idle. Sounds awesome!. I will say that when it comes to having it at idle you can get a v6 very close to the sound of a v8. Although once you start getting higher in the RPMs it gets easier and easier to distinguish the two. Example is the video with the ghost cammed Yellow Camaro. As loud as it is even with that nice chop, I cringe at how it would sound at WOT. Personally I don't think you can do anything to change that. Using the Magnaflow Resonated X Pipe will help a ton though.
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #145
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCAMARO View Post
Right, I don't know how close you were reading my replies, but all along, this has been about the 11385 + 3" pipes, with the 2nd cats delete.

That said, the system for the ZL1 from Stainless (which I linked to) is exactly what you have IF you add on the 11385. ... So, if I put that on with the 11385 would this not be the same amount of back pressure?

I'd be paying many X more for stainless, if going that way I'd want to be sure I am getting pipes that will fit my V6, I could go to their website and ask, this is just off the cuff.

BTW, I'm still driving mine around with no pipes past the rear axel, just the 11385 + factory pipes up to it (where I had an axel back system) and I'm still digging it very much but can only imagine the sound if it was deeper like a V8.

Usually, the best sound you can get from a V6 is to keep it as quiet as possible.
That stainless works catback that you linked should fit but the rasp would probably be really bad

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #146
Jylee

Drives: 2012 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCAMARO
Hope that link works, if not it is sold by Stainless works, they also for the same price sell the "factory fit", in which it starts out with the pipes in a Y shape.

I have a stock NPP installed on my v6. The exhaust size is 2 1/2"', not 3". No cutting, direct bolt on.

Jack
Jylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #147
BUZZCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jylee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCAMARO

I have a stock NPP installed on my v6. The exhaust size is 2 1/2"', not 3". No cutting, direct bolt on.

Jack
Yeah, but do they make it in 3", I have not contacted Stainless works about the ZL1 system yet to see if it would fit. I wonder if stainless could make a custom order 3" system for a V6 if not (or who could for that matter).

Some of the other posters are insinuating that I mean that system alone when I said it would have the magnaflow 11385 added to it.

But it would cost just as much, ....no more, than to find a shop which can use stainless, probably less because of shipping.

I'd like to see some pics of Atomix, just to see how it's been hung, I guess if you don't know exhaust, than find an exhaust shop you can trust.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #148
BUZZCAMARO

I didn't realize that the system for the ZL1 by Stainless has mufflers built into it (chambered)..so it is NOT the same as straight pipe. I never heard of chambered mufflers, so when I saw/read it, didn't think about it, just saw what looked to me like straight pipes. Anyway,..

See lots of ways to go with the set up DJ Atomix has but with maybe some compromises, like maybe leaving the 2nd cats and factory pipes up to the Mag. res. X and from there maybe 2.5" straight pipe. But first of all I'd have to find a good custom exhaust place in S.E. MI.

With the way I have it now, the factory pipes up to the Mag. Res. X, and than the factory pipes up to the rear axle and nothing past there (I removed an axel back muffler system).. I'd like to know how it would sound before getting it all welded in, wish I had some pipe to temporarily lead out to the back. I'm sure what I'm hearing right now is louder because the pipes end under the car and not out the back.

I kinda worry about losing low end torque going with no resonators and going from 2.25" pipe to 3". Right now it's feeling great powerwise, but the drone and tone is a bit un-tasty.

I have made a phone call to MRT in Plymouth, seems they might charge much more than a "mr. muffler" type shop but I bet I can trust them to do it correct and not need to bring it somewhere else to un-screw it.

One other place I went in to said "no"...I said your sign says "exhaust", and than he said, "if it was just a muffler than o.k., but you want a whole system..blah blah blah"..
So, there are alot of cracker-jack shops out there, 2 of which, I didn't evan park at to get an estimate. I hate it when the parking for these little shops is packed full and each spot looks like your car could get banged up. If you can't evan park there, why the hell would you trust them to take a torch to it
Old 06-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #149
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I did this yesterday - I'm going to try to get more videos, but for now this is going to be the best quality I can do. Same set up as DJ Atomix's, but I have 4" round mufflers and quad tips. Just light driving, good throttle in second gear around 4 minutes in, but that's it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...14978641055079
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #150
BUZZCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobulls View Post
After deleting mufflers I lost some power with 2.5 piping.

TO be honest mine sounds exactly the same as yours. I have muffler delete 2.5 inch piping and res. Delete.

Other than the ghost cam of course.

AT idle and low rpm. I am curious as to how yours sounds at high rpm as mine is very raspy and our peircingly loud.
But do you have the Magnaflow Res. X-pipe # 11385 ???

So far I've never heard anybody say the 11385 did not clear up any and all rasp no matter how hard it's throttled.

If you do have it than maybe I'd go another route cause I have an apointment at a really good place, was planing on getting stainless 2.5" with muffler delete from the Mag.Res.X on back. Mine is an LSX V6, got the CAI.

I might cancel the appointment and temporarily use cheap straight alu. steel pipe to make sure it's not too loud or lacking in torque before I go and spend allot of money and have it all welded up. It's about $50 for 2x 5 ft. of 2.5" al. steel pipe, I could sell it when I'm done with the tests, just clamp it up for the test and as long as it goes all the way out to the back bumper, it should simulate very closely what the actual finished piping would sound like.
I don't go to shows or club meets, so I don't have a way to hear others except for over youtube, and you know how that can distort how it actually sounds.

Besides, I wanted 4" dual quad tips and ss clones is out of stock for about a month from now. I swore I wouldn't get obsessed with the exhaust, but it looks like I'm in it with both feet. I know one thing, it sure will look allot better with the 1LE diffuser I ordered for it, which houses the popular dual quad tips. The diffuser was only $89 but the shipping was $50 from gmparts direct.

Last edited by BUZZCAMARO; 06-10-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #151
iKhans
Black & Blue is how we do

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS (Blue)
Send a message via Skype™ to iKhans
I love the way yours sounds too! Check out my combination - BBK Long Tubes with MRT 2.0 Axle Backs
Old 07-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #152
Dan55

Drives: Intimidator camaro!
Here's a dumb question....

If I call my local shop, what exactly should I ask them if I want to get this sound on my 14 2LT?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #153
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan55 View Post
Here's a dumb question....

If I call my local shop, what exactly should I ask them if I want to get this sound on my 14 2LT?
You need to order the resonated xpipe by magnaflow online first. When you go into the shop you need several things done if you want exactly what I got minus the headers hence yours is a '14 .

1.You need the resonators deleted (they are garbage anyway, no loss there) 2. delete the rear cats (smaller ones); if you are worried about emissions I suggest going for a high flow cat, 3. delete the stock hpipe and weld in the resonated xpipe into the same spot, 4. Finally delete the piping and stock exhaust beyond the xpipe and replace with some common 3" galvanized muffler pipe. 5.? If you dont have the ground effects package, you should get 4" tips installed on the end of the 3" piping.

tip, insure everything is welding to reduce the chances of unwanted vibrations and leaks. Your doing a custom pipe install so there is no reason everything is not welded.

I cant tell you how much that will cost because with that much done, your total could be very random. I would take a random guess that your looking at about $800 total (just a guess, could be $500 or $1000).

Only reason I say $800 is there is quite the labour involved to cut chop replace and weld everything with all changes at once. You might save a little just chopping that tiny 2.25" pipes out of there when you get the 3" pipes installed which means the exhaust goes too saving you money.

CAUTION, insure your 2.5" pipe between the cats and xpipe is not changed or touched aside from deleting the resonators and replacing with 2.5" pipes. If you accidently get this at 3" I would imagine you start loosing torq as there would be less back pressure although this is not 100% confirmed, just what happened to other cars people have reported.

Worth every penny and there is less drone than any MRT muffler setup.

cheers,

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #154
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
FYI to everyone PMing me, my next step is high flow cats but I just cant see myself slapping $600 bucks plus install on this part.. plus some guys said I wont see much diff since I already had the small cats deleted and piped.

Maybe in the future.

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote