Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
ScratchAce

Drives: 2SS - Hyper Blue/Ceramic White
I think I'm sold on getting a sunroof. How much does it actually increase the headroom? I haven't been able to find any official numbers....

ScratchAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #16
ScratchAce

Drives: 2SS - Hyper Blue/Ceramic White
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1&6 View Post
I have a sunroof and I Love it , have it open ALOT even with Temps hitting 40° very nice, opens nice and doesn't give you that drone when the windows are up. Head room is the same with or without drove a 2ss without and no difference.
That Mosaic Black looks sweet! Nice ride man!

ScratchAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #17
alfonsoj23

Drives: 2014 camaro ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
My sunroof is open at least 90% of the time. Even when it is cold I'll crank the heat and open the roof. And it isn't even an option on a Mustang.
how come they don't offer it on a mustang?
alfonsoj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 AM   #18
chrismarvin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I wanted the reverse mohawk at first.. it just gave it a meaner look I feel. But I ended up getting one without and I'm glad I did. i had a sunroof in my other car and it's just so nice to be able to look up and see the sky honestly. +1 about the breathing sensation.. helps it give more of an open feel. Also, I think it looks bad ass while opened. In my old car the glass went into the roof, not on top. Looks way better on top of the car.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #19
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Sun roofs add weight at the worst possible location from a performance stand point. That doesn't matter to most people, but its a deal killer for me.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #20
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
To all the people complaining that the sunroof adds weight and supposedly has other performance impact: If you can show hard numbers indicating the loss, let me know. I doubt it's anything noticeable. And if you're on the track more often than you're on normal roads, you're probably opting for a 1SS with little to no options anyway and aren't representative of the average buyer.

I have a sunroof on my 5th gen, and I love it. Although I've always preferred the Camaro to other cars, there's no escaping the fact that the interior feels like a tank sometimes. There's nothing like popping the top and getting a rush of air and sunlight during a summer cruise. It gets hot in NC from June to late September, but I prefer keeping the sunroof open rather than using the A/C.

Supposed performance loss can kiss my butt, this is a great option IMO and well worth the money. It creates a whole different driving experience when cruising and gives you a better connection to the outside world around you.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #21
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
To all the people complaining that the sunroof adds weight and supposedly has other performance impact: If you can show hard numbers indicating the loss, let me know. I doubt it's anything noticeable. And if you're on the track more often than you're on normal roads, you're probably opting for a 1SS with little to no options anyway and aren't representative of the average buyer.

I have a sunroof on my 5th gen, and I love it. Although I've always preferred the Camaro to other cars, there's no escaping the fact that the interior feels like a tank sometimes. There's nothing like popping the top and getting a rush of air and sunlight during a summer cruise. It gets hot in NC from June to late September, but I prefer keeping the sunroof open rather than using the A/C.

Supposed performance loss can kiss my butt, this is a great option IMO and well worth the money. It creates a whole different driving experience when cruising and gives you a better connection to the outside world around you.

There is a reason why high end sports cars come with carbon fiber roofs. Its not my job to educate the ignorant.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #22
camaro1&6

Drives: 67camaro 69Nova C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchAce View Post
That Mosaic Black looks sweet! Nice ride man!
Thank you! I love it so happy with it , the metal flaking is amazing in the light . .
camaro1&6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #23
winkchris

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Chuck View Post
Considering a sunroof. Those who got it does it eliminate the dip in the roofline?
Get the sunroof.

I love it -- it makes me fell like i'm in a convertible, but without the crappy cloth. I actually prefer the coupe with the sunroof over the convertible.

I'm 6, 3 and have PLENTY of headroom. No issues at all.
winkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #24
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
I am 6'2" and my car has the sunroof. There is no head room worries. I even have the seat raised enough where if I put the seat down all the way I can easily use my helmet. If any one is concerned about the helmet room just pm me. I will take some pictures for you.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #25
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Sun roofs add weight at the worst possible location from a performance stand point. That doesn't matter to most people, but its a deal killer for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post

Cuda7050 is right though. I have heard as much a 40-50lbs of weight are added for a sunroof equipped car. Personally I can just do without, but I'm curious if the glass was replaced with a carbon fiber panel but the opening functionality was retained how much weight could be saved. Not a cost effective solution AT ALL, but would be interesting to know if I could have an opening sunroof for the Fiancee without tacking on a chunk of weight to the roof.

Before I get bashed, I want to make it clear. Personally if you are concerned enough about performance to consider the center of gravity and weight savings of losing the sunroof. Paying money to equip a sunroof and then paying to modify it to make it lighter makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.
mjk3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #26
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I've had a moonroof in my cars for 15 years. Cannot imagine a car without one now. I love driving with it open even in cold weather. I'll turn the heater up and open the roof on a sunny day even if it's in the 40s.

Also, I kind of laugh at the notion that a moonroof adds soooooo much weight. The motor, track, and glass light weigh about 20 pounds total. It may be much less than that. This is not 1980 when electric motors in cars were big and heavy, and guide tracks were made out of steel. The moonroof tracks are are nylon and aluminum on modern moonroofs.

So stop saying moonroofs add so much weight because they do not.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #27
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I've had a moonroof in my cars for 15 years. Cannot imagine a car without one now. I love driving with it open even in cold weather. I'll turn the heater up and open the roof on a sunny day even if it's in the 40s.

Also, I kind of laugh at the notion that a moonroof adds soooooo much weight. The motor, track, and glass light weigh about 20 pounds total. It may be much less than that. This is not 1980 when electric motors in cars were big and heavy, and guide tracks were made out of steel. The moonroof tracks are are nylon and aluminum on modern moonroofs.

So stop saying moonroofs add so much weight because they do not.
Late model M3's have sunroof assemblies that weight 40lbs. I'm not so sure that a Camaro is half of that. Go carry a 40lb weight over your head for a while and try to lean side to side. Elevated center of gravity. Its physics not opinions.
mjk3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #28
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I love the reverse Mohawk and I almost never use the sunroof I have now in either car.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunroof