Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Need A little Help w/Brake Pad Information

Hi All,

I would like to try (even for one / two events) the OEM ceramic rotors on the track I would like to have backup pads for at least the front.

My usual track supply vendor said they have Pagid RSC-1 pads made for ceramics. He ALSO he said his system shows the pads are the same as used on the Corvette ceramics... is this true? This concerns me a bit as it's the first time I've heard it. Could the same pad work in both calipers even if technically, they are not the same part numbers? My supplier has a great rep and is usually dead on with info - but I need to be certain.

The pad part number & description is : Pagid U-8091 Racing Pad For Ceramic Rotors - RSC-1 Compound.

So... is the info on our cars using the same pad as the Corvette correct? Is the Pagid pad shape part number correct? Can anyone shed light on this?

Second part... I would consider the stock pads, but my dealer quoted me $1036 for front pads and $833 for rear pads... so clearly I need to find a better source for stock pad prices as well. (What the Hell is it with some dealers... jeez)

Any help sorting this info out would be appreciated. I will eventually convert to iron rotors (I think) but am looking forward to seeing how the ceramics work.

--BierGut
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Biergut

Okay... I'll be the first to post to my own thread requesting information...

I spoke to Pagid directly and learned the RSC-1 pad part #s for the Gen5 Z/28 are:

U-8091 front and U-4906 rear.

They also confirmed that these are the same pads that are used in the Corvette with ceramics.

They have three compounds, RSC-1, RSC-2 and RSC-3 increasing in coefficient of friction and of course wear on the rotor.

Posting for anyone how might find it helpful. Sorry if this is a known and often repeated piece of information.

Cheers!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Your dealer is trying to screw you on price. I found the front OE pads on GMpartsdirect for $559.82. Part # 23284028 $545 on Summit with a wait time,

Rear pads here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...-/162695005292

If you are only doing 1-2 events, and you are sure this car has never been tracked just check thickness and if there are any large cracks/chunks. If not, I wouldn't worry about replacing them or having a back up set for just these events. I had 43k miles on mine before the cars first track day, and they held up fine under multiple sessions with me pushing them harder each time.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2tehBone View Post
Your dealer is trying to screw you on price. I found the front OE pads on GMpartsdirect for $559.82. Part # 23284028 $545 on Summit with a wait time,

Rear pads here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...-/162695005292

If you are only doing 1-2 events, and you are sure this car has never been tracked just check thickness and if there are any large cracks/chunks. If not, I wouldn't worry about replacing them or having a back up set for just these events. I had 43k miles on mine before the cars first track day, and they held up fine under multiple sessions with me pushing them harder each time.
Thanks for the info and link Chevy!

Does ANY dealer in today's online world think they are going to gain business by gouging customers? What they DID DO was lose my business for everything else. So short sighted.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
Tankslapper

Drives: Z28
Check amazon, from time to time they drop the price, think I paid around 300 last time for the fronts.

Otherwise I agree with chevy2, unless you are driving the car 10/10ths you’ll not go through the fronts in a weekend, definitely not the rears.
Tankslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
Tankslapper

Drives: Z28
I’ve not heard of anyone using the pagid’s, would be good to know they fit.
I have used the G loc from justice Pete, search for him, they were great and in the 400’s iirc.
Tankslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
GM PARTS XPERTS has been my source for OE pads - always the lowest price that I've found save for used or a sale on amazon (which I've never been lucky enough to catch). Might be close to you too?
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
If you're looking to just swap pads, i'd be cautious of how they treat the rotors...at $1,400/ea you best be educated on what the pad/rotor interaction is

These pads are worth a look too

Racing Brake sintered pads
https://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7272.htm

As used by fellow forum member who has a track/race only Z/28 (The manufacturer chimes in as well throughout the thread)
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...t=racing+brake
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/

Last edited by j o n; 02-01-2019 at 07:46 AM.
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
Rock auto has them for 517$
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
If you're looking to just swap pads, i'd be cautious of how they treat the rotors...at $1,400/ea you best be educated on what the pad/rotor interaction is
The Pagid RSC-1 (2 & 3) are specifically made for the ceramic rotors on our cars as well as the Corvette with ceramic rotors.

http://www.pagidracing.com/en/produc...amily-rsc.html
Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
The Pagid RSC-1 (2 & 3) are specifically made for the ceramic rotors on our cars as well as the Corvette with ceramic rotors.

Also, for everyone's info, Brembo don't actually make the OEM brake pads (they just provide the discs and calipers).

The front OEM pads are manufactured by TEXTAR in Germany and supplied exclusively to Brembo.

The rear OEM pads are made by Pagid anyway - again branded as Brembo.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ghlight=textar

Personally when the time comes that I need pads (soon!) I'm torn between Pagid or trying the Racing Brake option.

--------------------------------------------------------------

edited to add:
I was cheeky and tried an email direct to TEXTAR to see if I could get front pads cheaper direct here in Europe. Unfortunately not.... I got the following response:

----------------

Dear Patrick,
This part is not offered in the independent aftermarket of Textar. These parts have been exclusively sold to Brembo to be assembled into your car. So what you have are the OEM pads.

The only way to get the same pads again is to look for a Chevrolet dealer, who can purchase the pads for you via the OE channel.

Sorry that I have no better answer for you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Jonas Niemeyer
Product Manager

TMD Friction Services GmbH
IAM / Product Management
Hitdorfer Str. 55, 51371 Leverkusen, Germany

----------------------

Still if you don't ask, you don't get right!?!
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
Biergut

Gotta love the straight forward Germans. You know where you stand with them at least.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post

Yes, i knew they were specific to our application. I was stressing on the real world results of them, feedback from other members who have used them. That's why i provided the Racing Brake pads as example, lots of info from users out there to compare against others
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
Yes, i knew they were specific to our application. I was stressing on the real world results of them, feedback from other members who have used them. That's why i provided the Racing Brake pads as example, lots of info from users out there to compare against others
Obviously, I've have not used them yet, but I've always been very happy with Pagid pads with all my other track cars. I've also found they last longer and are a bit easier on rotors (iron), however, don't have that initial hard bite of say some of the PFC pads. I don't think I will get more than about 15 days of track out of the ceramics judging by my friends with them on their Z06s, but who knows... maybe I'll be surprised. There is just a part of me that wants to try the ceramics for no other reason than to try them. I'm 98% certain the car will have iron Girodisc rotor for the 2020 track season.