Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #29
Johnnyma45
Former Camaro Owner

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephff View Post
Got pulled over this morning for no plate, gave me a warning but said they cracking down on it. He said they aren't allowing them on the dash anymore either, has to be the front most part of your vehicle.
That sucks. I just fixed my front fascia from the bracket holes. Was that the only reason he pulled you over, or was it for something else and he noticed the no plates?

Yikes, remind me to avoid Austin.

Last edited by Johnnyma45; 06-30-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Johnnyma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #30
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Quote:
Got pulled over this morning for no plate, gave me a warning but said they cracking down on it. He said they aren't allowing them on the dash anymore either, has to be the front most part of your vehicle.
I got popped this morning too!! A nice state trooper gave me a warning and said I was in the system with 30 days to get it taken care of or next time I would more than likely get a fine. He at least agreed that he wouldnt want to drill the bumper either. I asked him about putting the plate in the window and he said they have had accidents in the past where the passenger was severly injured.

I see you are in Austin too, wonder if we met the same officer
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #31
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Unless they change the law they probably cant enforce where on the front of the vehicle the plate is found. It only says 'displayed at the front and rear of the vehicle' but not specifically where at the front.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #32
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Im not a fan of APD! They can be d*** about small things like the front plates. Get a radar scanner and do your best to avoid them, especially in Austin.

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #33
FIREWOLFF

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Got pulled over and ticketed last Monday $150 here in Victoria. What sux is I have stopped and talked to plenty of officers and have been waived down by a few to ask about the car and not one time in the last year did anyone say anything about it. Then going to work and get pulled over for it. I had no idea what I was being pulled over for until he told me. I haven't been pulled over for anything in over 10 years! I expected a warning since I have a clean record but alas he wanted to be hard on me. Must be a Mustang lover! LOL.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
BaylorSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Been driving I35 from DFW to San Antonio and all points in between for 10 years without a front plate. I've been given 4 warnings and pleaded ignorance since the brackets were not installed on my 01 Monte Carlo SS or my new Camaro SS. However, I had a warrant (charges later dropped) and they pulled my over for no front plate and I ended up spending the night in the Bell county jail. I'd have rather just paid a ticket. I did get a speeding ticket around Waco a couple months back and the cop didn't mention the missing plate.

I live south of Ausitn and I hate how I35 has become a speed trap from the county line at Buda all the way into town.
BaylorSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #35
louperrault
Former 2010 owner :(

Drives: 2011 Siverado C/C
I have not been pulled over for anything and we have driven all the way down to Corpus and as far north as Dallas. I have talked with my local police here in Converse (know for pulling people over for just about anything lol) and he told me that if the plate is visible from the front that is what they go by in Converse...he told me mine is fine (thrown up in the right side of the windshield....soon to have suction cups to stop the rattle)
Old 06-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #36
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
I got a $35 ticket for no front plate. I used carriage bolts and the original bracket I put the carriage bolts on backwards so when I tightened up the bolts it would tighten up to the lower grill, works great and doesn't scrape the paint.
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #37
josephff

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
That sucks. I just fixed my front fascia from the bracket holes. Was that the only reason he pulled you over, or was it for something else and he noticed the no plates?

Yikes, remind me to avoid Austin.
pulled me over just because of the plates, and yeah Moriartii it might have been the same officer haha, i was on the toll road on the east side.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #38
camarokat

Drives: ABM, 2LT/RS, sunroof, v6 auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroSS/RS View Post
I got a $35 ticket for no front plate. I used carriage bolts and the original bracket I put the carriage bolts on backwards so when I tightened up the bolts it would tighten up to the lower grill, works great and doesn't scrape the paint.

Hey, would you be willing to share photos of how your plate is set onto the car? I'm looking for a way to rig up the original bracket onto the front without drilling holes.

I was considering the hide-a-way plate holder, but I'm not sure that I want to pay that much $ for it. It also "bugs" me that it has the plate off- center; I'm OCD about things being visually balanced.

2LT/RS, ABM, sunroof
v6 automatic
camarokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #39
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
If people want to use that "hide away" thing, fine. But in NY, a front plate is required by Law.

I also see no reason why I'd want to attract even MORE attention from Law Enforcement than our Camaros already seem to be getting.

Besides, my car is not a show car. I usually turn over a car every 3 years, so it's no big deal to me.

It's not like we're driving Ferrari's ...
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #40
Danno42
ROC N Ss

Drives: DRIVES ORANGE 2SS 2010 CAMARO
I was really pissed when I picked up my camaro the day after delivery and they already mounted my front plate bracket. But since then bought custom plates and show them off front and back,and learning to live with it....
Danno42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #41
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Mine already had the bracket installed when I got it. I was going to have the holes filled but I don't mind it much now with my black plates.

GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #42
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
I too, have a personalized plate, so I decided to put mine on.
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote