Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 06-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
El Chorizo

Drives: 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo
Moving to Austin in a month or so....

Anyone know of any good "Austin" car forums?

Sad to see that Austin does not have a local dragstrip, I assume San Antonio is the closest?

Anything I should watch out for in the Austin area?
2010 Camaro 2SS, 700RWHP, 667RWTQ @ 9psi - 11.03@124 @ 3600 ft. elevation TVS2300, Ported Stock Heads, Ported TB, Comp Cam, RPS Twin Disk, Kooks 2" LT's, Kooks 3" Catback, Dual ZR1 Fuel Pumps, H&R Springs, Barton STS, Hendrix Axles, BMR Trailing Arms, Snow Methanol Kit, Rotofab CAI.

2006 Lamborghini Gallardo, 2006 Cherokee SRT8.
2014 Mercedes CLA (On Order) / CLA Forum
El Chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Welcome to Texas!!

Not sure about Austin car forums but with you being so close to Houston, Dallas and San Antonio...you'll not have a weekend off from "car things"!!

SA dragstrip is on IH10...a bit south/east of SA...great track and Wednesday night test and tune is rarely busy! You'll get several runs in and much like this past Wednesday night...I was pretty much hot lapping my Camaro at will! Made 8 passes in about 1 hour!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chorizo View Post
Anyone know of any good "Austin" car forums?

Sad to see that Austin does not have a local dragstrip, I assume San Antonio is the closest?

Anything I should watch out for in the Austin area?
Hey, Glad to have some new neighbors...

We do not have an Austin specific forum, but many of the Austin guys, myself and others hang out in the Friday nights at Fridays San Antonio thread... There is also the CenTex guys North of Austin in the Killen/Belton/Waco area... Many of us have gotten together for special events and we have the Texas Fest planned for July 10, in Killeen....I plan on being there when I get home from Brazil.
We do not have a drag strip in Austin but there is one near Seguin Texas and Alamo Drag Way on the far south side of San Antonio... What part of New Mexico are you coming from... I was just in Las Cruces visiting a friend of mine...Had the pleasure of eating at La Posta.... Wow... There is a thread called four friends in the Southwest area forum...

If you need someone to drive the Lambo to Austin, let me know....

Looking forward to meeting you... Austin is a great place to live and lots to do.... PM me if you haven't decided on where to live and I'll steer you away from areas to avoid.... of if you have any specific questions about Austin not really properly asked on a public forum...

Edit: Alamo may be closed... not really sure...but Legend mentioned the other one I was talking about....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
El Chorizo

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Welcome to Texas!!

Not sure about Austin car forums but with you being so close to Houston, Dallas and San Antonio...you'll not have a weekend off from "car things"!!

SA dragstrip is on IH10...a bit south/east of SA...great track and Wednesday night test and tune is rarely busy! You'll get several runs in and much like this past Wednesday night...I was pretty much hot lapping my Camaro at will! Made 8 passes in about 1 hour!
Awesome, that's what I like... go to the track and run as much as you feel like it and work on getting that perfect pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Hey, Glad to have some new neighbors...

We do not have an Austin specific forum, but many of the Austin guys, myself and others hang out in the Friday nights at Fridays San Antonio thread... There is also the CenTex guys North of Austin in the Killen/Belton/Waco area... Many of us have gotten together for special events and we have the Texas Fest planned for July 10, in Killeen....I plan on being there when I get home from Brazil.
We do not have a drag strip in Austin but there is one near Seguin Texas and Alamo Drag Way on the far south side of San Antonio... What part of New Mexico are you coming from... I was just in Las Cruces visiting a friend of mine...Had the pleasure of eating at La Posta.... Wow... There is a thread called four friends in the Southwest area forum...

If you need someone to drive the Lambo to Austin, let me know....

Looking forward to meeting you... Austin is a great place to live and lots to do.... PM me if you haven't decided on where to live and I'll steer you away from areas to avoid.... of if you have any specific questions about Austin not really properly asked on a public forum...

Edit: Alamo may be closed... not really sure...but Legend mentioned the other one I was talking about....
I already picked up a house at the Ranch at Brushy Creek in Cedar Park, so I'm set there.

I am going to have my hands full, we have 5 cars to move from Alamogordo, NM up there.

I get to Las Cruces quite often, don't think I've ever eaten at La Posta before though, if I have I've forgotten it

Was in Austin over memorial weekend picking the house out and went to 6th street, saw a ton of homeless looking emo kids/punk rockers, don't remember there being so many last time I was on 6th street
2010 Camaro 2SS, 700RWHP, 667RWTQ @ 9psi - 11.03@124 @ 3600 ft. elevation TVS2300, Ported Stock Heads, Ported TB, Comp Cam, RPS Twin Disk, Kooks 2" LT's, Kooks 3" Catback, Dual ZR1 Fuel Pumps, H&R Springs, Barton STS, Hendrix Axles, BMR Trailing Arms, Snow Methanol Kit, Rotofab CAI.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Awesome, that's what I like... go to the track and run as much as you feel like it and work on getting that perfect pass

I already picked up a house at the Ranch at Brushy Creek in Cedar Park, so I'm set there.

I am going to have my hands full, we have 5 cars to move from Alamogordo, NM up there.

I get to Las Cruces quite often, don't think I've ever eaten at La Posta before though, if I have I've forgotten it

Was in Austin over memorial weekend picking the house out and went to 6th street, saw a ton of homeless looking emo kids/punk rockers, don't remember there being so many last time I was on 6th street
Nice housing area....

Offer stands on driving vehicles.... any of them if you need the help... I get back from Brazil on the 5th of July or so, and the Texas fest is scheduled for the 10th, so holler if you need help... I'll drive anything that runs and doesn't leave me stranded.... La Posta is in the old original part of Las Cruces... Great food and atmosphere....

6th street is still the same.... depends on the time of year and night of the week as to what you see.... Go during the ROT rally and they pretty much disappear...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 06-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
El Chorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Nice housing area....

Offer stands on driving vehicles.... any of them if you need the help... I get back from Brazil on the 5th of July or so, and the Texas fest is scheduled for the 10th, so holler if you need help... I'll drive anything that runs and doesn't leave me stranded.... La Posta is in the old original part of Las Cruces... Great food and atmosphere....

6th street is still the same.... depends on the time of year and night of the week as to what you see.... Go during the ROT rally and they pretty much disappear...
I've got a few friends down here I think that will help me and they better help unpack crap too

BTW, What's the ROT rally?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
I've got a few friends down here I think that will help me and they better help unpack crap too

BTW, What's the ROT rally?
ROT Republic of Texas motorcycle rally... anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 motorcycles... I'll miss it this year being in Brazil, but the sights and sounds are amazing....

Tried to upload a few pics but they aren't coming through....

Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
cristykay07

Drives: 2000 camaro Z28 & 2010 SS w/ RS
oh those are really pretty homes out there.
One of our Toyota... Cough Cough*
Managers lives there.
cristykay07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
You're going to LOVE Austin

wooohoooo 6th street lol

if i could live anywhere but where I do it would be Austin

or the Hill Country.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Welcome to Austin....a 600+ mile drive should be enough to dust the white sand off
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
cristykay07

Drives: 2000 camaro Z28 & 2010 SS w/ RS
so i'm assuming your Cherokee SRT8 is the pretty much the same thing as a Trailblazer SS?
cristykay07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
El Chorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristykay07 View Post
so i'm assuming your Cherokee SRT8 is the pretty much the same thing as a Trailblazer SS?
I think the SRT8's are quite a bit faster... maybe a bit lighter and definitely more power stock.

Mine runs 12.4 at altitude, I'm hoping to run an 11 at sea level and a better prepped track.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The old Austin F-Body Forum is still around... not sure how active it is these days.

http://www.afbforums.com

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
DCCAM
Northwest Austin

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/A6/IBM
Live in NW Austin just next to Cedar Park. Great area! Let's connect when you get here!
DCCAM is offline   Reply With Quote