Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #169
pat_t
 
pat_t's Avatar
 
Drives: #238 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 411
One of my sponsors HEL Performance just did a very cool full rundown on the current spec of my car:

https://www.facebook.com/helperforma...85007281541342

HEL Supply to all tiers of Motorsport on a Global stage. Please be sure to like their page - and if you want braided brake or clutch hoses for any vehicle I can highly recommend them

On a more personal note, they have 118k Facebook followers so this was a big deal for me and a step in the right direction as I try to gain more exposure and sponsorship and build new relationships which hopefully results in making this car more awesome and getting to use it at more events!
__________________
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #170
pat_t
 
pat_t's Avatar
 
Drives: #238 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 411
Sorry for the lack of updates, I had to burrow in the 3rd page of the forum to re-find the thread!

Not much work on the Z recently as I've been sorting out a new Daily-Driver. Sold the RenaultSport Twingo hothatch and have replaced it with a 3.3L V6 Petrol-Electric Hybrid Lexus RX400h. I wanted something capable to tow the Camaro, reasonably luxurious and not too expensive to run. Stuck some Nissan GTR rims on it to give it a bit more presence It's about 300bhp with engine and all the electric motors going.

I did get the Camaro out for local motorshow Coventry Motofest, and much to my amusement I managed to upstage the UK Mustang owner's Club by parking at the end of their row!!

Vmax200 runway event next on 30th June...
Attached Images
  
__________________
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #171
PapaKlutch
IG: @AG1LE_CAMARO
 
PapaKlutch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SIM Camaro 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Reno, NV, USA
Posts: 805
Re: Towing. Isn't a Lexus RX rated around 3500 pounds maximum for towing?

A Camaro and a small car trailer would be at least 5000-5500 pounds, no?
__________________
Follow me on Instagram: @ag1le_camaro
2015 SS 1LE: 2SS/RS/NPP/NAV/Recaros
Tuner: @gptuning Shop: @jrg_motorsports
PapaKlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #172
pat_t
 
pat_t's Avatar
 
Drives: #238 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlutch View Post
Re: Towing. Isn't a Lexus RX rated around 3500 pounds maximum for towing?

A Camaro and a small car trailer would be at least 5000-5500 pounds, no?
The DVLA V5 registration document for my model (equivalent of your official Title document in the US) states 2000kg max permissible for a braked trailer.

My Z28 is around 1600kg currently, so leaves about 400kg for a trailer which might be tight.. Although I know PRG make a 500kg trailer with a 1500kg load capacity so it won't be far off.

Need to get that Lithium battery and a few more Carbon panels fitted ASAP!
Attached Images
 
__________________
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #173
PapaKlutch
IG: @AG1LE_CAMARO
 
PapaKlutch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SIM Camaro 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Reno, NV, USA
Posts: 805
Interesting!

That is more than rated for in the states. My wife had a 2008 400h. It was 2000 pounds standard towing max and 3500 pounds max with factory towing package.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram: @ag1le_camaro
2015 SS 1LE: 2SS/RS/NPP/NAV/Recaros
Tuner: @gptuning Shop: @jrg_motorsports
PapaKlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:57 AM   #174
pat_t
 
pat_t's Avatar
 
Drives: #238 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 411
VMAX200 report

Had an absolutely brilliant day in the Z yesterday.

Whilst we all know straight line racing isn't the Z28's strong point or what it was built to do I fancied having a bash at this event as it was quite local to me, it often attracts extremely nice machinery and some quite extreme cars, and I'd never driven at these sorts of speeds before. Also present were McLaren 650S, 720S, MP412C, Lambo Aventador, lots of Nissan GTRs (winner & 3rd place) and a 2600bhp Toyota Supra (2nd place) and a host of tuned German cars. I was the only 'Americana'.

The event takes place at a current active military base, previously known as RAF Cottesmore when it was an Royal Airforce base, now Kendrew Barracks as the Army has taken it on. The runway is 2744 metres long (1.7 miles) and the brake marker was put out with 650 metres braking distance giving just over 1 mile flat out from a standing start.



I'd been checking the weather for the past week before, and whilst the UK in in the middle of a heatwave/dry spell with wall-to-wall sunshine and temperatures up to 30*C (90+F) at the moment, there has also been a pretty consistent Easterly wind coming in. Annoyingly this ended up directly as a headwind down the runway, it was about 15-20mph all day and it never let up.

The event was very well organised with a group "sighting lap", then a single run for everyone to get their eye in, and then doubling up to side-by-side running for the rest of the day. This meant everyone got plenty of runway time, and I probably ran about 10-11 passes in all including a couple of pairs immediately back-to-back.

The good thing about the naturally aspirated LS7 in the Z is the power is always there and not really affected by heat soak, so I could go and run again and again with no concerns. A lot of the highly turbocharged cars were making a lot more power but had to keep stopping for 30 mins or so to get their intake charge temperatures back under control!



In terms of speed - this is where it gets really interesting....

I had always planned to start with the full downforce configuration and work through gradually removing bits to see what the effect was. So first run of the day was completed with wickerbill in the highest position, Carbon splitter, and my ZL1 1LE front diveplanes.



The result was 154 mph.
And a broken splitter.

So it turns out that at 150mph + 20mph windspeed, giving a total airspeed of 170mph over the front of the car, that my new front downforce package produced so much downforce that it completely closed up the gap to the concrete runway under the splitter and completely ground away the splitter lower surface through friction meaning by the time I got back to the paddock area after Run#1 it was looking pretty sorry for itself.

What is very interesting about this is that I ran the exact same setup at Rockingham back in May, and looking back at the phots from that day, even hard on the brakes from around 100mph with a bit of 'dive' on the front suspension, the splitter is still quite a way off the tarmac - here's a picture from Rockingham that shows what I mean:


So despite now needing to buy a new splitter I was actually quite pleased about this as it shows the new package is producing significant front downforce but not so much drag as the car can't still easily reach 150-160mph, so must be working quite efficiently.

As there are very few (if any) tracks where I'll actually exceed 150mph I'm planning to just replace the splitter as it was, but I will slightly improve the way I had it mounted and try to add a sacrificial rubbing strip of marine ply or similar material on the underside that can be replaced after events that protects the splitter itself from damage. Another possible option would be stiffer front springs.

So back to the event report - for run#2 I removed the diveplanes, removed the wickerbill, taped up the whole headlight and upper grill area and straight away we were upto 160mph.

Then for run#3 onwards I removed what was left of the splitter entirely and taped up the boot [trunk!] leading edges, removed the passenger windscreen wiper (extends beyond the bonnet [hood!] cowl)

I tried taping up the carbon vents on the bonnet, but the tape came straight off, showing that significant airflow does exit the engine bay through those vents.

Run#3 was upto about 163mph, and then at that point there was no more I could do with what I had around me to make the car itself any faster, so Runs#4 - #11 were all just trying to optimise the launch and gearchanges as best as possible, but all of these runs were between 163 and 164.5mph and within about 1.2 seconds over the 1.6mile run showing how consistently the engine performs (and how the headwind never let up!)



So all in all a great day, getting a feel for the car at 130+mph in a safe environment, getting some new learning on the aero balance which will help with my trackday setup. And making noise like this:


(turn speakers UP)
Attached Images
     
__________________

Last edited by pat_t; 07-01-2018 at 06:18 AM.
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #175
ronchev
 
ronchev's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Roanoke Indiana
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Had an absolutely brilliant day in the Z yesterday.

Whilst we all know straight line racing isn't the Z28's strong point or what it was built to do I fancied having a bash at this event as it was quite local to me, it often attracts extremely nice machinery and some quite extreme cars, and I'd never driven at these sorts of speeds before. Also present were McLaren 650S, 720S, MP412C, Lambo Aventador, lots of Nissan GTRs (winner & 3rd place) and a 2600bhp Toyota Supra (2nd place) and a host of tuned German cars. I was the only 'Americana'.

The event takes place at a current active military base, previously known as RAF Cottesmore when it was an Royal Airforce base, now Kendrew Barracks as the Army has taken it on. The runway is 2744 metres long (1.7 miles) and the brake marker was put out with 650 metres braking distance giving just over 1 mile flat out from a standing start.



I'd been checking the weather for the past week before, and whilst the UK in in the middle of a heatwave/dry spell with wall-to-wall sunshine and temperatures up to 30*C (90+F) at the moment, there has also been a pretty consistent Easterly wind coming in. Annoyingly this ended up directly as a headwind down the runway, it was about 15-20mph all day and it never let up.

The event was very well organised with a group "sighting lap", then a single run for everyone to get their eye in, and then doubling up to side-by-side running for the rest of the day. This meant everyone got plenty of runway time, and I probably ran about 10-11 passes in all including a couple of pairs immediately back-to-back.

The good thing about the naturally aspirated LS7 in the Z is the power is always there and not really affected by heat soak, so I could go and run again and again with no concerns. A lot of the highly turbocharged cars were making a lot more power but had to keep stopping for 30 mins or so to get their intake charge temperatures back under control!



In terms of speed - this is where it gets really interesting....

I had always planned to start with the full downforce configuration and work through gradually removing bits to see what the effect was. So first run of the day was completed with wickerbill in the highest position, Carbon splitter, and my ZL1 1LE front diveplanes.



The result was 154 mph.
And a broken splitter.

So it turns out that at 150mph + 20mph windspeed, giving a total airspeed of 170mph over the front of the car, that my new front downforce package produced so much downforce that it completely closed up the gap to the concrete runway under the splitter and completely ground away the splitter lower surface through friction meaning by the time I got back to the paddock area after Run#1 it was looking pretty sorry for itself.

What is very interesting about this is that I ran the exact same setup at Rockingham back in May, and looking back at the phots from that day, even hard on the brakes from around 100mph with a bit of 'dive' on the front suspension, the splitter is still quite a way off the tarmac - here's a picture from Rockingham that shows what I mean:


So despite now needing to buy a new splitter I was actually quite pleased about this as it shows the new package is producing significant front downforce but not so much drag as the car can't still easily reach 150-160mph, so must be working quite efficiently.

As there are very few (if any) tracks where I'll actually exceed 150mph I'm planning to just replace the splitter as it was, but I will slightly improve the way I had it mounted and try to add a sacrificial rubbing strip of marine ply or similar material on the underside that can be replaced after events that protects the splitter itself from damage. Another possible option would be stiffer front springs.

So back to the event report - for run#2 I removed the diveplanes, removed the wickerbill, taped up the whole headlight and upper grill area and straight away we were upto 160mph.

Then for run#3 onwards I removed what was left of the splitter entirely and taped up the boot [trunk!] leading edges, removed the passenger windscreen wiper (extends beyond the bonnet [hood!] cowl)

I tried taping up the carbon vents on the bonnet, but the tape came straight off, showing that significant airflow does exit the engine bay through those vents.

Run#3 was upto about 163mph, and then at that point there was no more I could do with what I had around me to make the car itself any faster, so Runs#4 - #11 were all just trying to optimise the launch and gearchanges as best as possible, but all of these runs were between 163 and 164.5mph and within about 1.2 seconds over the 1.6mile run showing how consistently the engine performs (and how the headwind never let up!)



So all in all a great day, getting a feel for the car at 130+mph in a safe environment, getting some new learning on the aero balance which will help with my trackday setup. And making noise like this:


(turn speakers UP)
This is really cool and Ive got the same plans to try something like this as well with mine.... bucket list stuff.

One thing I noticed on your video is the big drop in RPM when you shifted to 5th gear, I would think that if you tighten up 5/6th gear ratio with a overdrive gear swap that would have to gain you a few MPH in this area with the engine kept more in the peek RPM range. This is only my thoughts only but if you do plan to do more of this thats what Id look into doing next, for some reason GM went with gas milage overdrive ratio's with the Z/28 unlike the 12-15 ZL1's manuals with a lot closer ratio in 5/6th gear. Again just me thinking but do a little research on this if you plan to do this kind of thing more.

Love what you have done with your car!

Are your front fender custom made vents? maybe I missed it somewhere
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #176
pat_t
 
pat_t's Avatar
 
Drives: #238 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
This is really cool and Ive got the same plans to try something like this as well with mine.... bucket list stuff.

One thing I noticed on your video is the big drop in RPM when you shifted to 5th gear, I would think that if you tighten up 5/6th gear ratio with a overdrive gear swap that would have to gain you a few MPH in this area with the engine kept more in the peek RPM range. This is only my thoughts only but if you do plan to do more of this thats what Id look into doing next, for some reason GM went with gas milage overdrive ratio's with the Z/28 unlike the 12-15 ZL1's manuals with a lot closer ratio in 5/6th gear. Again just me thinking but do a little research on this if you plan to do this kind of thing more.

Love what you have done with your car!

Are your front fender custom made vents? maybe I missed it somewhere
Hi ronchev,

Thanks very much for posting. Your post really made me stop and consider things, which is great as interaction like this is what I think car forums are all about!

After thinking about it for a while - I think Chevy made the right call on the gear ratios for the Z/28. For me, whilst I really enjoyed this event, that was mostly because I hadn't done anything like it before. I would recommend it for anyone to have a go at once or twice, but I think after that it would become boring. For me the 'thrill of driving' is definitely all about the cornering, braking, steering and handling experience. Not about going in straight lines. This is why I love trackdays and funds permitting will hopefully start circuit racing at some point.

So 4th being good for about 140-145mph is all you are going to need on 90% of racetracks, so the fact that 5th/6th are geared long for better fuel economy doesn't bother me at all, in fact it's better as it saves me money driving to the track for V-power that I can burn on the track instead!!

As you say, if one wanted to mod the Z/28 for this kind of event there's a lot you could do, change gearing, reduce front tyre width, remove rear spoiler entirely.. etc etc


The front wings are fibreglass for weight saving, you can get them from carid.com and a few other places. You can get them in carbon too but the weight is much the same and I knew I was going to paint them anyway so I didn't bother.

Pondering on the next event now... maybe Oulton Park or Silverstone..? Need some more new tyres too!
Attached Images
  
__________________
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #177
ronchev
 
ronchev's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Roanoke Indiana
Posts: 115
pat_t

Thanks for the front wing info, noticed those on your car a wile ago and wondered who's they were or custom. Did you actual weigh the difference stock vs fiberglass? Also how was those to install, did they fit like the OEM or was there some tweeking like most aftermarket panels?

I'm with you on the fact that straight line stuff does get boring and it could never replace open track day type driving experience (at least for me) but with how popular these 1 mile events have become it is something I want to try a couple times. Fact is for me I like seat time and the open track days events that you get 20-30 min. session's is where you can really connect with your car and get into the groove, find your limitations and work on improving those...almost like becoming one but these are the things that as you know you don't experience with any straight line stuff.....hard to explain but you know what I'm saying.

Coming from a ZL1 that was the very first thing I noticed was the big change in the overdrive ratios and thought now why did they do that with such a performance car and I know most tracks (like you said) you never see 5th gear, cafe standards, bean counters, or EPA standards who knows but if they put a more closly matched overdrive gear ratio in the ZL1 why not the Z/28?? Take a look at the Nurburgring video when the Z/28 came out and clearly you can see at the high speed part of the track when shifted to 5th gear that RPM did not fall out of the peek power range like it would have with the production gear 5th gear. Just my obsevation but from that alone tells me that car had the .80/.63 5th/6th gear ratio from the ZL1 and not the .74/.50 that made its way into the production Z/28....does this mean they didn't sell us what they tested or advertised to us....who knows but the good part is I got you to stop and think a little!
I could go on about this topic but all I'm going to say is .50 6th gear is useless to me, even cruising highway speed just makes the car feel like you want to shift back to 5th to smooth out the engine some... small talk yeah I know

Keep posting pictures of your car and what you are doing with it, love what your doing over there with it and I don't thing Im the only one that agree's

have a great day
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #178
pat_t
 
pat_t's Avatar
 
Drives: #238 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 411
A few glimpses of #238 in the official Vmax200 event video

__________________
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #179
Gbland60
 
Gbland60's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 117
Awe man, wanted to see more than just a glimpse of your car. If mine were white, you'd have a twin back in the states. Your car has the looks !
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #180
pat_t
 
pat_t's Avatar
 
Drives: #238 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 411
Rigid collars fitted.

Quick update, got the Spoon Sports rigid collars fitted on Wednesday evening. Picture #2 shows how much slop there is in the standard bolt holes. Pic #3 shows how the tapered shims centralise the bolts perfectly aligning the front subframe with the chassis.

There are 8 shims in the kit. It's just about do-able on axle stands (if you don't mind wriggling about on your back), only took me around 2 hours. Probably doable in less at a proper shop with a 4 post lift.

Next hoping to get some camber plates on followed by an Alignment before I can feedback with driving impressions.
Attached Images
   
__________________
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #181
Chevy2tehBone
 
Chevy2tehBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Garland Tx
Posts: 369
Ooo. Awaiting your feedback on how it feels now that you've replaced them.
Chevy2tehBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #182
hammdo
'It's an experiment'
 
hammdo's Avatar
 
Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 7,414
I tried that on my own, really needed a lift. Did a shop do those for you?

-Don
__________________
747 RWHP 794 RWTQ
"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." - Enzo Ferrari
See My Build: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385577
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.