Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
KERRPATCH

Drives: 2012 Victory Red SS/RS
Where to start with pc polisher

Ok so I now have bought a PC polisher and adams products, I know I need to do the two bucket wash and clay the car first. Question is this the car is only three month old and does have some fine swirls caused from my ignorance prior to learning proper car washing techniques. the question is should I start off with the Adams Swirl and Haze remover or try the fine polish first to see if it gets the swirls out and move to the swirl and Haze if the polish doesn't correct the swirls. I appreciate any help.

Those that would give up their freedom for security have neither freedom or security
KERRPATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
If you can see the swirls.....start with the SHR asnd then progress to the FMP
Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
It's usually best to start with the less agressive polish. do one spot, and if that does not take it out, then move to the more aggressive polish.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
It's usually best to start with the less agressive polish. do one spot, and if that does not take it out, then move to the more aggressive polish.
This is correct. Try FMP first. If it works, great. If not, step up to SHR and finish with FMP
Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
This is correct. Try FMP first. If it works, great. If not, step up to SHR and finish with FMP
+2
Old 12-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
+3

And just test in a 2'x2' section to start and figure out what you'll need to do to get the desired end result. Once you figure out what it will take, then proceed around the whole car.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
+4
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
KERRPATCH

so I would guess that I could also use swirl and haze remover on the hood, roof and trunk if needed and start with machine fine polish on the sides of the car since the sides have fewer and finer swirls. is this correct

Those that would give up their freedom for security have neither freedom or security
Old 12-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KERRPATCH View Post
so I would guess that I could also use swirl and haze remover on the hood, roof and trunk if needed and start with machine fine polish on the sides of the car since the sides have fewer and finer swirls. is this correct
You're thinking of this the wrong way.

Never assume you know what products are going to be needed to correct the swirls. At best, with experience, you'll be able to make an educated guess, but thats about it.

Test first, then decide on what to use. The swirls are going to be fairly consistent over the entire vehicle, its just typically more obvious on areas like the hood and deck lid b/c thats where the sun and light most commonly show them. Its not often you get direct, high intensity light, coming in from the side.

Select a 2'x2' section on your hood to start, go with just the FMP and see what the results are.

If that fixes it, then you have your answer for the rest of the car. If it doesn't then go at another test spot with SHR followed by FMP. Remove the residue and inspect. If that fixes it then you have your answer for the rest of the car.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
KERRPATCH

got it now appreciate the help

Old 12-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
You're thinking of this the wrong way.

Never assume you know what products are going to be needed to correct the swirls. At best, with experience, you'll be able to make an educated guess, but thats about it.

Test first, then decide on what to use. The swirls are going to be fairly consistent over the entire vehicle, its just typically more obvious on areas like the hood and deck lid b/c thats where the sun and light most commonly show them. Its not often you get direct, high intensity light, coming in from the side.

Select a 2'x2' section on your hood to start, go with just the FMP and see what the results are.

If that fixes it, then you have your answer for the rest of the car. If it doesn't then go at another test spot with SHR followed by FMP. Remove the residue and inspect. If that fixes it then you have your answer for the rest of the car.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Gr8ride

Drives: Camaro 2Lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by KERRPATCH View Post
Ok so I now have bought a PC polisher and adams products, I know I need to do the two bucket wash and clay the car first. Question is this the car is only three month old and does have some fine swirls caused from my ignorance prior to learning proper car washing techniques. the question is should I start off with the Adams Swirl and Haze remover or try the fine polish first to see if it gets the swirls out and move to the swirl and Haze if the polish doesn't correct the swirls. I appreciate any help.
Im in the same situation, my PC is in the mail i should get it next week. Good Luck, Post pics of your results.
Gr8ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
best place to start is on a different car altogether.....like the wife's.
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Do I need to remove the product in between the steps? Like remove the SHR before doing FMP? Or can I get away with going over the products and just removing at the end after the Sealant?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote