Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-14-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
SunnySideUpII

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Bright Yellow
Help - Greenish spots on body

Hi,

I'm on 4000 miles right now and I've fully detailed my car a few months ago. (Wash-Clay-Polish-Wax)

Recently, when I'm wiping down the body with a MF cloth and Quikdetailer, I noticed the MF cloth is catching on to stuff and not gliding over the surface smoothly. I can even feel those small particules with my bare hand. When I look closely under sunlight, I can see the contamination. They are extremely tiny dots and the color is greenish.

I'll try to post some pics if I can, but I wanted to know if simple claying process would get rid of this, or do I need to clay AND polish?

I park my car in covered areas on a daily basis, both at home and work, so I'm not sure what this contamination is. Anyone has an idea what this "green stuff" could be?

Thanks.
SunnySideUpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Post pics if you can. Could be fly crap, road paint, tar, etc. Try to clay a spot off and see what happens.

Depending on the quality of the finish you're trying to maintain, and the grade of clay you're using, you may be able to get by with just a quick clay, then wax or sealant. Worst case is you'll need to do a quick polish after claying to remove any marring the clay does to the paint.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
SunnySideUpII

Thanks.

Will post pics as soon as I can and let you guys know after the clay treatment.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
SunnySideUpII

Was difficult to get a clear close-up pic.

I had a go at it with Meguiars Mild Clay bar, and it got rid of 70% of the spots. Then I followed with Meguiars Ultimate polish and that removed 90% of the remaining stuff. Whats left is very few spots here and there, but it seems if I do a second round of polishing on the same area, all will be gone.

I still dont know what it was, but i guess I'll need to make sure I have a coat of sealant/wax all the time to avoid this type of contamination.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #5
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Most likely over spray for construction area or droplets of sap flying off nearby trees.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Something to keep in mind for the future is you could do an iron treatment on the car. You spray it on the car after you have washed it and it goes on clear then wherever the iron spots are it turns purple and melts it away. I do alot of detailing and mostly see this on white cars (looks like yellowish spots) it is a combination of rail dust, industrial fallout, and the things others have listed above. It is also really good prep for before you do a clay bar method.
Here is an example of what I'm talking about. http://shinesupply.com/collections/p.../smooth-move-1
Old 09-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Did you try claying again?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
This is going to sound weird but if you park near mulch, there is a fungus called "cannon fungus" - very small, can't really see it but it shoots a spore like up to 30 feet.

The spore is dark, like head of a pin and a real b#tch to get off paint or house siding.
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:56 AM   #9
SunnySideUpII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Did you try claying again?
Did another round of claying and it's mostly gone. I had to apply quite a bit of pressure with the clay bar though. It just needs a good polish and a sealant now.

All sorted peeps, thanks!