Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-25-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
rocknrollcali87

Drives: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro
WTF!! Again?! Why?!!?

Hey guys,

Well this happened to us twice, first with me and the second time being Saturday with my Mother at the wheel.

Feb of 06
Again this is the second time, first time happened at 67,000 miles or so on the way to class. I was on the freeway entrance, gave it some throttle and the truck got up to 50 and then nothing. It comes without warning, it shifted smooth the rest of the time we drove it. . I had onstar at the time and had them send me help, it was scary as hell seeing traffic rush by me at full speed so I tried getting the Hoe to move closer to the emergency lane. Well it got me closer and actually let me keep it under 30mph with hazards on to get off the freeway and park. Upon them towing it to the local dealer (at the time was Leo Hoffman Chevrolet which is now closed) they gave me the news in the morning we needed a new tranny at 67,000 miles. What bullT is that?! It was in 2006, I raised hell by emailing GM, they offered to help

Second time (Feb of 09?!?)
It was over the weekend on the way home from the market with the Mums driving a couple of miles down from our home in our 2001 Chevy Tahoe. We were in drive, motor purring clean without hesitation, and she gives it some throttle and..up go the revs. I already knew what we were in for No movement whatsoever in any gear except reverse and a heavy mechanical rubbing noise underneath, almost as if the gears were trying to go in but nothing and then a shake. So I tell her to shut the truck off, turn it back on and put it in Drive and moves a little..enough to where I can push it safely out of harms way. This time I decided to have the truck towed home up until we can figure out what to do and try not to drive it.

So it's at the dealer, we're waiting for the morning to see what they tell us. So far we talked to the service manager who said he is going to talk to GM about it and see what they can do. Second trans had a 3 year, 50 or 100 thousand mile warranty, fairly odd since it happened the same month but we'll see..I need some help and suggestions you guys

It's 4 fat guys in a Geo up a hill, we can't go any faster!!
rocknrollcali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
rocknrollcali87

btw the truck now has about 125,000 miles on it and we take the upmost care for it. Oil change every 3,000 miles with the best oil and filters (royal purple and K&N OIL FILTERS) and put 89 or better octane and never used arco gas..only Chevron, Shell, and Mobile

she's our black beauty that was supposed to get us to El Paso, TX in a month..now we might have to cancel this trip we've been setting up for over 4 months.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Tactical Z
Banned

Drives: Nissan Titan
Its a GM.

General Mistake
Tactical Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
rocknrollcali87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Z View Post
Its a GM.

General Mistake
...wait..:(

... how's that supposed to be a suggestion or help on an idea?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Tactical Z
Banned

Nice truck...maybe its the gearing?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
rocknrollcali87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Z View Post
Nice truck...maybe its the gearing?
Maybe..it's setup for torque, never towed anything with her.

it's geared stock with a 4L80-E trans connected to a 3.73 limited slip it shouldn't have any problems trying to pull anything if need be.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Tactical Z
Banned

Hmm....maybe it wants to be traded in for a Explorer.

Kidding...

They happened in the same month 3 years apart....Face it, your truck is cursed....
Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
hmm, this is puzzling, it might be ECM

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollcali87 View Post
btw the truck now has about 125,000 miles on it and we take the upmost care for it. Oil change every 3,000 miles with the best oil and filters (royal purple and K&N OIL FILTERS) and put 89 or better octane and never used arco gas..only Chevron, Shell, and Mobile

she's our black beauty that was supposed to get us to El Paso, TX in a month..now we might have to cancel this trip we've been setting up for over 4 months.
when was the last time you changed the trans fluid?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Once again, shouldn't you be in school. I'm starting to get concerned. I think we need to have a truantcy meeting.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
rocknrollcali87

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Once again, shouldn't you be in school. I'm starting to get concerned. I think we need to have a truantcy meeting.
Who Me?

that school at the time really did a number on my little pickup. There's a huge hill you have to drive up to get to it and my clutch went out at the end of a semester. I hated the people at Rio Hondo College! I go to Mt. San Antonio College now, better curriculum, more learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
when was the last time you changed the trans fluid?
30,000 miles ago with a new filter and I don't remember if they still did transmission flushes with this machine they no longer use anymore. Our dealer where purchased the truck S&J Chevrolet told us they didn't use that equipment anymore. Anybody know about this? I heard they had problems when they did a flush with this equipment. The first two transmission flushes might have been done with the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
hmm, this is puzzling, it might be ECM
You mean how the shift patterns have been setup through ECM? Maybe they are off?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Maybe..it's setup for torque, never towed anything with her.

it's geared stock with a 4L80-E trans connected to a 3.73 limited slip it shouldn't have any problems trying to pull anything if need be.
That Tahoe should have a '60 not an '80, but that doesn't matter. I think that tranny should be covered by warranty so long as you're not past the 36 months or 50K miles. I don't think the coverage went up to 100K miles, but it's been a while since I've worked at the dealer. Sorry to hear of your troubles

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
rocknrollcali87

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
That Tahoe should have a '60 not an '80, but that doesn't matter. I think that tranny should be covered by warranty so long as you're not past the 36 months or 50K miles. I don't think the coverage went up to 100K miles, but it's been a while since I've worked at the dealer. Sorry to hear of your troubles
I thought that too when they replaced the first one that it was a 60 but they told us and quoted us for an 80. Shouldn't an 80 almost be indestructible? They use them on RV's and heavy equipment, I just have a stock Tahoe!! I just got up, haven't heard from the dealer yet.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Who Me?

that school at the time really did a number on my little pickup. There's a huge hill you have to drive up to get to it and my clutch went out at the end of a semester. I hated the people at Rio Hondo College! I go to Mt. San Antonio College now, better curriculum, more learning experience.

30,000 miles ago with a new filter and I don't remember if they still did transmission flushes with this machine they no longer use anymore. Our dealer where purchased the truck S&J Chevrolet told us they didn't use that equipment anymore. Anybody know about this? I heard they had problems when they did a flush with this equipment. The first two transmission flushes might have been done with the machine.

You mean how the shift patterns have been setup through ECM? Maybe they are off?
I remember reading about a small controversy between those that liked flushing and those that didn't. The ones that didn't thought that if you had a vehicle with higher mileage that the varnish and build-up in the tranny would hold it together, so-to-speak; even with changing the fluid and filter, the left-overs were still in there. So, the theory was that by removing all the fluid from the tranny and 'verter, you were removing what was sealing the tranny up and holding it together, and there were those that claimed they had failures not long after the flushes. Personally, I think that if a simple fluid change from swapping filters has worked this long, leave it alone unless there's a problem. I'm no tranny guy though.

I think he means because the ECM controls the tranny that there's a chance the ECM could be causing the problem. I remember reading people over-oiling air filters were causing tranny failures because the oil would get on the MAF sensor wires and cause the ECM to interperate the data wrong, control the tranny wrong, and burn the tranny up. I don't know if you have a oil-impregnated air filter or not, or if that's even the case here, but I though I'd just add this senario since I've read about it before.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote