Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #29
ObseSSed

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Well is only my front fascia that's chipping. When I looked at it i was surprised to see that there's no primer applied under the paint, I'm not done with the dealer yet.
No primer.... that's interesting. I would like to see where that leads.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #30
|BLACKSS|

Drives: BLACK 1SS
My car has 5800 miles on it and my dealer told me that GM is going to repaint my gills and front bumper as a one time deal under warranty. They also told me that the splash gaurds are the only fix to keep the front tires from slinging rocks. I have heard that the EPA is making GM use water based paint on there cars and trucks it is very soft and thin paint. I dont know how good a muscle car would look with mud flaps. I guess ill 3m like everyone else.
|BLACKSS| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #31
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Paint Issues

Mine has more paint defects than chips like dust under the yellow paint and debris in the clear coat, but I do have 3 chips on my roof that I noticed when the car had around 300-400 miles.

I have no idea how they got there and they may have been on the car when I bought it. Maybe they got there from the ride on the delivery truck. It's so overwhelming when you buy the car to see everything. Only after you start washing and waxing do you start to notice this stuff.

The clear coat scratches easy and the color coat is very thin. Actually the clear & color coats are very thin.

It looks like my car has 4 layers, a white coat, a black, the yellow color of the car, and the clear coat. If it get a tiny chip the chip will be black, a bigger chip will be white.

Does anyone know what the 1st white coat of paint is and the next thin black coat before the yellow color of the car??? Is one a powder coat primer & the other like a in between sealer???

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #32
FANTA-Z

Drives: 2010 SSRS
Mine has the same small chips as everyone else on the front. Im lucky that I dont have any on the hood or the gill area. My chips are mostly with the black underneath :(
FANTA-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #33
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
yeah i have at least 25-30 chips and no im not kidding. oh and my front fascia/bumper are getting 'beat up' way too fast. i just decided i will have to get it repainted like 5-8 years from now and then clear some clear bra 3m put on. i think its too late for me now.
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #34
|BLACKSS|

GM is repainting these areas as a one time deal take your car to the dealer and have them take pics of the chipped areas to show GM. Im getting my car painted on tuesday and then clear bra installed dont wait 5-8 years
Old 04-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #35
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Just have your car wet sanded and re-cleared and it will solve the problem, PPG 3000
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #36
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
My car has 5800 miles on it and my dealer told me that GM is going to repaint my gills and front bumper as a one time deal under warranty. They also told me that the splash gaurds are the only fix to keep the front tires from slinging rocks. I have heard that the EPA is making GM use water based paint on there cars and trucks it is very soft and thin paint. I dont know how good a muscle car would look with mud flaps. I guess ill 3m like everyone else.
What power does the EPA have to regulate that. Aren't these cars painted and assembled in Canada? Are you referring to Canadian enviro regs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
GM is repainting these areas as a one time deal take your car to the dealer and have them take pics of the chipped areas to show GM. Im getting my car painted on tuesday and then clear bra installed dont wait 5-8 years
Does that mean that GM has recognized the problem. More importantly, does that mean it will no longer be an issue in the future? I'm hoping to order a 2011 as soon as possible, but this paint issue has me worried. My parents have an 05 Mustang, and it only has about 2 or 3 paint chips (in 5 years). Based on what everyone is saying, the chipping on the Camaro obviously isn't normal.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #37
bkkendrick

Drives: 2010 camaro 1lt RS Red
heres my paint chip post. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71909
I took my car to the dealer where i purchased the car, told them i wasnt happy and they fixed it. I would have got the car back this week but they broke the inner door handle assembly removing my doors and they said the part is hard to get and wasnt avalable for order until thurs. hopefully i get the car back on mon or tues day of next week i will post after pics and a copy of my invoice so that if anyone whose dealer is being an a$$ about fixing it u can show them a print off showing that its being done. good luck
bkkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #38
FANTA-Z

Thanks and I will be interested in the invoice so when I take the car to the dealer I have something to fall back on.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #39
FANTA-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Just have your car wet sanded and re-cleared and it will solve the problem, PPG 3000
Im not a paint expert but if your chip is down to the black or white parts of the layers how is the clear going to help that? It would have to have the base coat repainted or at least thats what I am thinking :dunno:
Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #40
|BLACKSS|

That is what i have just heard about the epa thing probably just bs. My dealer tech said that it is true about it being a water based paint. With all of the complaints hopefully newer model cars will not have this paint on them.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #41
Six

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS Blk/wh stripes
Being painted tues the 13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
because the clear and paint is so thin, if ya try and sand it, your going to go thru it....I do custom paint and have seen this many times...

I took mine back to the Dealer after 4K miles. My gill areas look like they have dirt all over them after a wash...30-40 or so small chips. Dealer is re-painting this area under warr. on Tues. and I'm having the splash guards put on.

I figure after a couple years I'll break down and put some real paint on it with some graphix or airbrush.

As for the EPA...yes water base is the future of our paint and it does Suck...Its no wheres near as hard as a good Base coat Clear coat finish!
Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #42
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
A most definite chipping problem. My Camaro had more chips at 4000 miles than my two other cars combined, one with 90K and the other with 50K miles. Most chips are on the rear quarter panels near the fake vents. This paints chips extremely easily.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote