Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #15
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodriver View Post
-third issue is money. I paid $34000 for this car and they would only give me $20000 for this one with only 6400 miles on it (10000 kms) this would leave $18000 to pay for the 2SS plus tire/wheel woes... Ouch.
I wouldn't be willing to take a $14,000 hit, just to get into another car.....especially one that you're not really happy with.

Let them fix the car....it will still be under warranty. Drive it for another couple of years and trade it for the SS or LT that you really want.

$14k is alot of money to get out of that car....are you sure you want to do that?
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #16
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
His first one was a 1975, chances are it has been recycled by now.

I had this same problem with a 1998 Monte, it had just under 50k on it and GM was on the hook to repair it under my warranty. They ended up replacing just the short block, but I had the dealer go through the heads and make sure they were clean and no shavings. It all worked out well, still have the car with 30K on the engine.

I would let them fix the problem, you still have plenty warranty left on the car. Then if you want you could still trade it in on an upgrade without taking such a big hit on it ... IMO
You're talking apples to oranges... this car is LESS than 7K miles on it. There shouldn't be any engine problems like that.

I don't want to lay blame on the OP, but when you started hearing the "ticking" sound, why didn't you take it in right away? Instead you waited until it was "clanking" which now means a massive overhaul... and then you're upset at them because of how much is being done. I don't get that. But with your disregard of the problem, I have to wonder how hard you were driving that thing.

I don't think they NEED to give you a brand new engine... it would be nice. Hopefully they fix it up and you're good to go... but perhaps next time when a problem like that pops up, you address it sooner.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
Hey camarodriver, hoe the f*** did you blow that engine up already? Neutral Drops?
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
You're talking apples to oranges... this car is LESS than 7K miles on it. There shouldn't be any engine problems like that.

I don't want to lay blame on the OP, but when you started hearing the "ticking" sound, why didn't you take it in right away? Instead you waited until it was "clanking" which now means a massive overhaul... and then you're upset at them because of how much is being done. I don't get that. But with your disregard of the problem, I have to wonder how hard you were driving that thing.

I don't think they NEED to give you a brand new engine... it would be nice. Hopefully they fix it up and you're good to go... but perhaps next time when a problem like that pops up, you address it sooner.
What are you talking about ? It's apples to apples, warranty is warranty and the same work will be done if it's 10 miles or 50K mile. They aren't gonna replace any more than they have to, that would not make good money sense ... And opinion of the OP's disregard of the possible problem has nothing to do with it. When the car started making a noise he knew was bad, he did the right thing and took it to the dealer. It's not your place to say when someone is to take their car in for a possible problem. Not all of us run to the doctor every time we get a runny nose ... Just Sayin ...
Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
What are you talking about ? It's apples to apples, warranty is warranty and the same work will be done if it's 10 miles or 50K mile. They aren't gonna replace any more than they have to, that would not make good money sense ... And opinion of the OP's disregard of the possible problem has nothing to do with it. When the car started making a noise he knew was bad, he did the right thing and took it to the dealer. It's not your place to say when someone is to take their car in for a possible problem. Not all of us run to the doctor every time we get a runny nose ... Just Sayin ...
You're talking about a car with 50k miles... this is one with 7k. There was obviously a problem here. As far as it being my place, he made it my place when he posted on a public forum. He talks about being a "certified" car guy in the other thread but when the problem came up he disregarded it.

I'm not blaming the problem on him as there was clearly something wrong (either by defect or otherwise)... I'm just confused or annoyed that he'd complain that he's not getting a new engine when he didn't take it in when the problem started. He took it in when the problem got worse.

Case in point... my Jeep has a grinding sound in one of the tires. I think one of the joints is shot. Now I haven't taken it in because the car really isn't worth the amount I'm going to have to spend with it being well out of warranty. So if it gets worse, then that's on me. I wouldn't expect them to replace my undercarriage even if it's under warranty if I kept driving with it (though I would expect them to fix up to standard).

So yes, you can go to the dealer everytime you have a problem that could be covered under warranty (and is serious like that of the engine). "Just sayin".

Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
Camarodriver

Drives: 1975 Camaro, 2010 2LT, 2011/2SSrs
Send a message via ICQ to Camarodriver Send a message via MSN to Camarodriver Send a message via Skype™ to Camarodriver
Dudes, I am a very responsible driver. I babied this engine, I have had over 20 cars and 5 motocycles in my automotive life and I am a technically very good pilot. The ticking sound was very weak, like I though it was the Direct injection technology going, within 2 days of it getting noticably worse, I headed right in. If you read the longer thread, you will see that an automotive engineer that actually works for an engineering firm that works on the very production lines at GM and Ford looked at my photos and gave me an analysis. It was a defective bearing from the production and a very recent oil issue on that bearing caused the louder sound. I had no way of knowing it until it go a little louder, it was in that monday morning first thing.

I am getting a parts list of what they will be replacing today, i will post it for all to see. I am just shocked that they will not honor the black book value of approx $27,000 on a trade in, but want to fleece me at $20,000. There is wholesale, then there is highway robbery!

more soon enough... thanks for all your comments.

eB

The perma-grin effect pictured above by a good buddy giving me a ride in my Camaro!
Used 75 Camaro = $3500
Rolling restoration over 10 years = $5000
$5 of gas burned in 10 seconds = Priceless!
Camarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Dudes, I am a very responsible driver. I babied this engine, I have had over 20 cars and 5 motocycles in my automotive life and I am a technically very good pilot. The ticking sound was very weak, like I though it was the Direct injection technology going, within 2 days of it getting noticably worse, I headed right in. If you read the longer thread, you will see that an automotive engineer that actually works for an engineering firm that works on the very production lines at GM and Ford looked at my photos and gave me an analysis. It was a defective bearing from the production and a very recent oil issue on that bearing caused the louder sound. I had no way of knowing it until it go a little louder, it was in that monday morning first thing.

I am getting a parts list of what they will be replacing today, i will post it for all to see. I am just shocked that they will not honor the black book value of approx $27,000 on a trade in, but want to fleece me at $20,000. There is wholesale, then there is highway robbery!

eB
I did read the thread completely and saw the comments. Hopefully they do right and fix the car to the way it was. But I wouldn't expect, nor agree with anyone saying you should get a new engine (unless other components were compromised by the damage and could become a problem).

Old 08-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
I am just shocked that they will not honor the black book value of approx $27,000 on a trade in, but want to fleece me at $20,000. There is wholesale, then there is highway robbery!

eB
Here's my take on this...

GM and the dealer are trying to do the right financial decision for their businesses with the engine. If it is cheaper to rebuild AND the rebuild holds up for the remainder of the warranty period, they come out ahead. IF it dies again, then you have a strong case to replace the entire engine. Is it a headache for you...absolutely. Is it a headache for them...not at all, its just business as usual.

If it were my Camaro, I'd let them fix it as they see fit. Then I'd drive the s#!+ out of it for the next 3k miles. If it holds up, great! If it breaks again, go get a new engine this time. If I was constantly worried that I couldn't beat up on the rebuilt engine, I'd find another dealership to do the trade-in deal for an SS. Obviously your current dealer knows the story with your car and knows that there is the possibility of additional engine problems down the road with this particular car. They low-balled your trade-in value because they have a risk with that car that they need to account for. Another dealer won't have the entire story about the engine, which is why you need to trade it in elsewhere if you want to get out of it. Do it before 10k miles though. Are you going to take somewhat of a hit for the trade-in, yes but at least you know what you are getting out of in the long-run.

Now, as I mentioned in the other thread....rather than take a hit on trading this v6 in, why not find someway to work with the dealer and drop a V8 engine/trans into the car. I'm sure you could do it for less than the $18k loss you would have taken if you traded the car in at the dealer for the SS.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #23
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
I would want a new short block at the very least.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Why are they not replacing the entire motor? Hell of a lot easier, I would not stand for anything less.
JasonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #25
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Actually the sunroof takes up almost no room. These sunroofs open outside the roof line meaning they do not need room below headliner to open in to.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #26
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I only paid 34,000 for mine and it's fully loaded
2LT/RS package
Ground effects
Stripes
Sunroof
Spare tire

one of the Guys at the Camaro Fest said, They haven't even seen a V6 loaded like this one.

Anyway they (GM) should be getting you a new engine.

You didn't pay for a parts car, and you shouldn't have to drive one.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #27
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Different economies, taxes, currencies, etc. in Canada vs. the US.

2LT MSRP is $32,000.

2SS MSRP is $42,000.

It's just the way it is.
lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #28
camarorick

Drives: .
Holy $hit Eric.... I'm sorry to hear about this, in fact, I'm a little sick to my stomach. If they don't supply you with a short block ( at the least), I would consider trading/selling. If you sell privately, take the money, and buy down south ( We have a few friendly US dealers that can help you acquire a slightly used SS for the same price of a Canadian LT ).

Last edited by camarorick; 08-27-2010 at 01:02 PM.
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown engine, v6 vs v8 trade in