Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
SHADOW62

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Camaro
Questionable paint finish

Is it just me or is anybody else disappointed with the paint finish on their camaro? Even after hours of waxing i can get it very shiny but if you look closely reflections are rippled due to imperfections in paint over entire car. Also seems like paint is very easily scratched and bird poops leave pemanent stains???? Can this really be normal?

Borla XR-1 Headers, Borla ATAK Exhaust, CAI Cold Air Intake, Rx Catch Can, Diablo Tune, AAC DRL's, footwell lights, dome light, trunk light, Lloyd's matts, EmblemPro Badges, Tinted Windows, Valentine V1.
SHADOW62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I agree, the paint quality on the Camaro leaves much to be desired. It seems very fragile.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
The 'ripples' are orange peel... the only way to remove that is wet sanding, but given the overall delicate nature of the clear used on modern cars thinning it further seems like a losing proposition. Understand though that orange peel is not unique to Camaros... its present on ALL factory cars... Ferrari's I've worked on are among the worst so don't get too hung up on it.

Example... my paint is polished to death, and while this reflection picture looks clear notice what it does on areas like the reflection of the edge of the garage... you can see the orange peel.

Now as far as bird bomb etching... thats not the paints fault... thats actually your fault (or the birds depending on how you want to look at it) starting with a lack of good protection on the finish like a good wax or sealant, and then allowing it to sit long enough to etch. Doesn't matter if you have a $200 Maaco paint job or a $20,000 custom paint job... if you allow a bird bomb to sit on unprotected paint you'll get etching.

Good news is it can be removed, simply need to clay and polish.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
SHADOW62

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Camaro
Thanks guys, at least its not just me.

By the way Dylan, just ordered my Adams starter kit

Borla XR-1 Headers, Borla ATAK Exhaust, CAI Cold Air Intake, Rx Catch Can, Diablo Tune, AAC DRL's, footwell lights, dome light, trunk light, Lloyd's matts, EmblemPro Badges, Tinted Windows, Valentine V1.
SHADOW62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Thanks for your business! You know where to find me if you need help with anything.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote