Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #127
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
the camaro also has an advantage over the rx8 being 5k cheaper for a base one, and then the r3 Rx8 costing more than the 1SS
yes i know you cant "feel" this when you drive, but, just thought id throw that out there since price is an issue in just about every comparison
Camaro starts at 22-23k, the RX-8 starts at 26k. And unlike the Camaro which will be selling AT or ABOVE MSRP, the fact that the Rx-8 has been out makes it more likely you'd be able to negotiate down. For instance, 3 weeks ago, my friend got quoted 28k on a 33k Rx-8.

Both are fairly stripped.. neither are 'comfortably equiped'... when they are that low

And Dont use the R3 for comparison, it actually has LESS bells and whistles than the loaded touring model, Its adv. is in the suspension/brakes/seats upgrades. Consider it a track model.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #128
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
unlike the Camaro which will be selling AT or ABOVE MSRP
How long do you expect that to last? I expect to see it commonly selling under MSRP by this time next year.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #129
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Camaro starts at 22-23k, the RX-8 starts at 26k. And unlike the Camaro which will be selling AT or ABOVE MSRP, the fact that the Rx-8 has been out makes it more likely you'd be able to negotiate down. For instance, 3 weeks ago, my friend got quoted 28k on a 33k Rx-8.

Both are fairly stripped.. neither are 'comfortably equiped'... when they are that low

And Dont use the R3 for comparison, it actually has LESS bells and whistles than the loaded touring model, Its adv. is in the suspension/brakes/seats upgrades. Consider it a track model.
And this brings another advantage/disadvantage (depending on how you look at it), the RX8 resale value is certainly poor.... meaning you can get a used one really cheap.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #130
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
And this brings another advantage/disadvantage (depending on how you look at it), the RX8 resale value is certainly poor.... meaning you can get a used one really cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
How long do you expect that to last? I expect to see it commonly selling under MSRP by this time next year.
Doesnt matter for this comparison.

If it did the Rx-8 would win easy, after the Rx-9 comes out in the next year the Rx-8 will sell about the same a poopy flavored loli pop, thus droping the prices.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #131
snizzle
Recalled user

A few more:

V6 Camaro > RX8
Same HP regardless of tranny choice
(RX8 6sp AT 212 vs 6sp MT 232 HP)

RX8 > V6 Camaro
Usable back seats
4 doors
Lower insurance cost
Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #132
num1panthersfan

Drives: Mazda Rx-8
I also am a RX-8 owner and to be honest its a ok car. To me it's kinda slow tho, and the best part about driving it is when you go thru twisty, turny roads. Just not a rotary fan and dnt kno y I ever even got one. I mean they look way faster then they really are. They also require too much maintenance and they really do have many problems. I cant wait till i'm blessed to get my new CAMARO.
num1panthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #133
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:

Doesnt matter for this comparison.

If it did the Rx-8 would win easy, after the Rx-9 comes out in the next year the Rx-8 will sell about the same a poopy flavored loli pop, thus droping the prices.
Any info yet on when the Rx 9 will be revealed?
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 AM   #134
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
I'm on my second RX-8. I've never had a flood. Not even when I have accidentally stalled it in the driveway in the winter, which was the primary cause of most floods, stalling while backing out of the garage. I find the reverse gear to be much to high a ratio in this car. Its a higher ratio than 1st gear. But regarding the seats and door, I love em and i'll miss em if my next car isn't an RX-8. I drive my rx-8 every day, and its so nice to be able to open the back door and just toss my stuff in there. Prior to my first RX-8, i drove a 2 door blazer and it was always a bitch cramming my work bags in there. With the RX-8, it's a piece of cake. And you can fit actual humans in the back seats. Along with some pretty large cargo, since the trunk is a joke. As far as looks, obviously the camaro has the "new" thing going that the RX-8 doesn't any more, but I find the RX-8 to be a much better looking car. I doesn't have low end torque but ones you learn how to drive the car, it's plenty fast, you just can't dump it into gears when the RPMs are low and expect it to muscle through. You need to adjust that shifting to higher RPMs and the car screams. I love the handling. The visibility isn't great but its much better than the camaro. Price & MPG are the main reasons I was considering switching to the camaro. I've also really had no maintenance issues. I've never had one for more than 2.25 years, but up until that point, each of my cars had only minor issues. New gas cap, squeaky clutch pedal etc. I swear my current RX-8 has a sticky rear end, but it only happens after 20+ miles on the highway, so the dealer can never experience the problem. But it's a lease so **** it :-)

In the end, I'd say it's a hell of a car to drive, but like I said, if you try to drive it like it has low end torque, and muscle it through the gears to accelerate, it will definitely feel slow.

Next RX-8 will me 1.6L, dubbed the 16x. Rotary is actually ideal for hydrogen because of the low compression. Hydrogen spontaneously combusts at high compression. Last I heard, the 16X will be able to run on both, but of course get much less power and fuel economy on the H. But at the same time, a solar panel & water = free hydrogen soooo :-)
Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #135
bluman

Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
Nice looking car but in serious need for an HP/engine upgrade, ditch the rotary engine, test drove both auto and manual, auto is painfully slow, less then 200hp and manual 215....
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #136
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluman View Post
Nice looking car but in serious need for an HP/engine upgrade, ditch the rotary engine, test drove both auto and manual, auto is painfully slow, less then 200hp and manual 215....
Wrong. AT 212, MT 232

The AT was 197 up until 2005/2006 I believe when they switched from the 4 port to 6 port used in the MT. Still had to restrict the HP due to the torque converter though.

Oh, and you can't ditch the rotary in a RX car.... blasphemy.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #137
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
Any info yet on when the Rx 9 will be revealed?
They have kept it quiet, but I can tell you that the Mazda dealers know its coming so they are trying to ditch all their RX-8's...

From what I hear the Rx-9 will be a beast. Not as fast as the camaro/Mustang/SRT, but faster than the outgoing model. Expect it to get heavier, but gain HP and MPG.

0-60 in 5.3, 290 HP, 9k redline, 3150lbs.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #138
Blacksunshine
I know it was a mustang!

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1
RX-8 0-60 & 1/4 mile...

Sorry I've been away. The engine, etc. was completely stock, but I forgot to mention I had 19-inch 235/35 gummies on the rear. I broke a motor mount that day. Also, I disagree with the RX-8 being slow after 40mph, I think its the opposite, with low torque, its slow off the line, then does better at the top end. I topped this particular car out at 140mph on a radar gun...that's all she had.
Blacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #139
snizzle
Recalled user

To those that are interested:

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/rotary/16x/
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/22/i...rect-injection
Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #140
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Wrong. AT 212, MT 232

The AT was 197 up until 2005/2006 I believe when they switched from the 4 port to 6 port used in the MT. Still had to restrict the HP due to the torque converter though.

Oh, and you can't ditch the rotary in a RX car.... blasphemy.
It wouldn't be an RX then... They just need to refine it and make it work better