Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #57
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
and what is an apex seal except for the 'tip of the rotor' ?
Basically a wedge found on the tips of the rotor.

It prevents the escape of combustion gases and can release engine heat.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #58
JC Turbo

Drives: 06 GTO
i had a rx8.... do yourself a favor and get the camaro....
JC Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #59
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Actually, a bit more in the tail is preferred to have the best performing car, though I forget the actual numbers, its something around 40/60. Enhanced acceleration (on rwd cars) and the car becomes more 'agile' in the turns, though braking tends to suffer a little bit.
no way jose, thats what the 911 is and the 911 is known for its horrible weight distrobution, 50-50 is as good as it gets for corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
but still not perfect

Depends on your definiton of perfect. If its like mine, 'cant get any better/no room for improvement' than its perfect.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #60
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
analogous structures:

enough said.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #61
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
analogous structures:

enough said.
I don't get it.

Was that post in favor of the RX8 or against it? Because it does both very poorly.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #62
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
the doors were a failure on the saturn ion, and a bigger failure on the rx8
imo.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #63
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
no way jose, thats what the 911 is and the 911 is known for its horrible weight distrobution, 50-50 is as good as it gets for corners
I was thinking more about supercars and F1 race cars, which all have a mid-engine RWD laylout (instead of the rear engine of the 911). Turns out, most seem to be around 55%-60% to the rear. A rear engine would dramatically worsen handling. Understeer when entering a corner which suddenly changes to massive oversteer as the cornering force builds. Bad indeed, unless you have computers to control it. This is because of the lack of weight over the turning wheels combined with the awkward polar moment caused by having the engine out back. But being a little rear biased will result in the optimum performance. The default characteristic will be a bit of oversteer rather than neutral and will be ballanced when entering a corner due to weight transfer.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #64
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
I was thinking more about supercars and F1 race cars, which all have a mid-engine RWD laylout (instead of the rear engine of the 911). Turns out, most seem to be around 55%-60% to the rear. A rear engine would dramatically worsen handling. Understeer when entering a corner which suddenly changes to massive oversteer as the cornering force builds. Bad indeed, unless you have computers to control it. This is because of the lack of weight over the turning wheels combined with the awkward polar moment caused by having the engine out back. But being a little rear biased will result in the optimum performance. The default characteristic will be a bit of oversteer rather than neutral and will be ballanced when entering a corner due to weight transfer.
Alright, I guess i wont have a problem then... i tend to store most of my bodies in the trunk anyways
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #65
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You mean that's not how everyone drives all the time? I've installed a cooking grill on my exhaust manifold and a conveyor belt so I can get a steady supply of burgers delivered to the driver's seat, so I never have to drive without one!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #66
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Actually, the achilles heal is the apex seals, when those go the whole thing goes. These engines require more maintenance than your standard piston driven engine, but they can do last 200-300k miles. The biggest problems in particular with the 3rd gens or FD's is that the entire cooling system was made out of cheap plastic. These engines already run at a high operating temp, but when that cooling system failed you cooked your seals very soon afterwards.
However, the beauty of these motors is the simplicity of the design and how easy it is to get power from. Hell you can use the stock rotors for high HP applications, just put in high quality apex seals, get a nice port job and strap a turbo on that bitch and fly!
The next Renesis motor is rumored to be DI, this will definitely help with both the lack of torque and the lame Fuel economy. Last time I saw, they got a 50% increase in power output and torque across the entire rpm range as well as 25% increase in fuel savings. They have also been experimenting with hydrogen, but I don't know how that one's coming along .

Performance wise on a track I'd definitely give the advantage to the rx8, superior handling, perfect weight distribution, perfect gearing, and also high revving. Drag racing, in favor of the camaro, as the rx8's drivetrain is a bit of a baby to that kind of abuse.
I'd pick a 3rd gen rx7 over both anyday of the weak though HAHA.
thats funny because i see a lot of 3rd gens with ls1's
Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #67
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Alright, I guess i wont have a problem then... i tend to store most of my bodies in the trunk anyways
holy crap, was my post as technical as it seems? It didn't seem so bad when I proof read it ... whoops. Sorry, it happens every now and then.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #68
Rock

Drives: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
thats funny because i see a lot of 3rd gens with ls1's
This is true, it's lighter and handles better than a camaro, I'd do that swap too. However, not everyone likes the rotary, nor understands it, hence the swaps. I've seen 2jz swaps as well(supra motor).
Personally, if I was gonna shoehorn a v8 into a mazda I'd do it in a miata. That would be pure fun right there.

as far as an above post saying that a slightly higher rear bias has better handling characteristics boggles me. I'd rather have a more neutral feel that 50/50 gives than a 40/60, However not everyone has the same driving style.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #69
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
the doors were a failure on the saturn ion, and a bigger failure on the rx8
imo.
How so?
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #70
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
How so?
i dont think they are a failure at all, instead of having to squeeze in to the back seat you get your own door. thats win IMO
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote