Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
barnesm44

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Stabilitrak Error

Hello everybody, I'm new to the community and I could really use some help. Yes I have searched this topic before and read many previous forums, but haven't been able to diagnose the problem yet. I have a 2011 Camaro SS, and I'll include the mods at the bottom.

Awhile back I put headers in and have been using a diablosport t1000 tuner to adjust the tune and the car was running great for a long time. Slowly, the car began to run a little worse, and would have days where it ran great and days where it seemed to have a loss of power, and seemed as if it were running really rich. It also started to crank really rough, especially when hot. Almost every time I would start it in the morning it would start right up, and every time it was hot it either wouldn't start or I would get the stabilitrak error and it would shake real hard and run terrible. So, my thoughts were bad battery, or a bad starter from the heat of the headers. First I tried jumping the car many times and same issue, and then I tried compression starting the car and every time would still get the stabilitrak error.

I took the car to a Chevy dealership and asked them to diagnose it. They ended up putting in a new battery, and said the starter was fine and does not need replaced, but they agreed that it still starts a little rough especially when warm. They were not able to figure it out after hooking it up to their computer. After the new battery, the cranking is much faster and the car starts right up every time, but it runs better when started cold and not as well when warm. Also, when it starts in the morning and you can tell it's running well, as in it's much more responsive and just overall sounds much better, as I drive it it slowly starts to go back to running bad. Lots of backfiring, much less responsive, and sounds like shit. Also just a note for all of this I restored the tune to original settings and haven't had any custom tunes on the car. Thanks for any help.

Mods:
Kooks headers
Flowmaster outlaw exhaust
K&N intake
Diablosport t-1000
barnesm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Did your check engine light come on when you get the stabilitrack error and it starts shaking really bad? You should because that sounds like the car is in limp mode.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
barnesm44

No check engine light, and no stabilitrak error anymore. Just continues to run poorly and very inconsistently, as if the tune and timing is constantly being changed, even though I haven't messed with the tuning.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Have you considered swapping you spark plugs out for new ones?

It is very common to crack a plug when doing headers on these cars...or any car. They are very delicate plugs, and even the slightest bump from the headers during install and your plug is shot. You won't even see the hairline crack.

It happened to me and I had nearly the same issue you are having, except I swapped the plugs out a day later because I had read it here more than once.

Swap your plugs. Its worth a try at least.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
barnesm44

Awesome thank you! The spark plugs and wires are about a year old however maybe they are bad and causing the issues. Ill give it a try and post an update!
Old 07-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
This sounds like a sensor issue to me. When you start the car cold it is running in open loop mode. This means that the ECM is controlling every aspect of the engine from a fixed program, and not using any of the sensors. This is when your car runs best. As the car heats up, the ECM moves into closed loop mode where it is then relying on data from the sensors. This is when your car starts to run bad. There is probably a sensor that starts to give bogus information to the ECM once it starts to heat up. That would explain why you run rich and experience backfires, etc. The ECM is making decisions based on bad data. If you shut the car off and let it sit for a bit, the sensors in the engine and exhaust will continue to be warm, so when then trying to restart, you once again are giving the ECM bad data, and thus poor combustion. That is my theory.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #7
barnesm44

That also makes sense! I will have to give that a try as well. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
could be a battery about to die or a loose spark plug wire or something else. had that happen to me couple times in the 8 plus years I have owned a 5th gen. only two things that come to mind.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Headers excel at melting plug wires. Also making them hot enough to put electrical resistance through the roof. This would explain why you have worse performance as the engine heats up.

The OEM manifolds are thicker and have heat shields. Ceramic coated headers help as do braided shields on the plug wires.

Last edited by Rock-It Man; 07-22-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Headers excel at melting plug wires. Also making them hot enough to put electrical resistance through the roof. This would explain why you have worse performance as the engine heats up.

The OEM manifolds is thicker and have heat shield. Ceramic coated headers help as do braided shields on the plug wires.
+1

Try new plugs and wires first, and protect them from heat. Especially if your still running the original wires. Even on stock manifolds, they deteriorate after so many heat cycles.

Stabilitrack and traction control are intertwined with engine/fuel management, so it's no surprise that you see that with misfire issues.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
+1

Try new plugs and wires first, and protect them from heat. Especially if your still running the original wires. Even on stock manifolds, they deteriorate after so many heat cycles.

Stabilitrack and traction control are intertwined with engine/fuel management, so it's no surprise that you see that with misfire issues.
I think LS engines have problems with this.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
barnesm44

To anyone that has had this problem I went ahead and replaced all the spark plugs, plug wires and O2 sensors, as well as heat wrapped the headers and so far everything is running great. Will do more extensive testing soon. Thanks for the help everyone.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesm44 View Post
To anyone that has had this problem I went ahead and replaced all the spark plugs, plug wires and O2 sensors, as well as heat wrapped the headers and so far everything is running great. Will do more extensive testing soon. Thanks for the help everyone.
Glad to hear it's running better man!

Very good looking car I must add.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecu, stabilitrak, tune