Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Random Parking Brake Question

Hey guys, I feel like my parking brake is a bit on the wimpy side. When on a slope my car will still roll backward unless I have the brake lever pulled to the high heavens.

Is it just me, or is this an issue? Car is brand new so I doubt anything is bad.

I'm coming from a truck which had a foot pedal e brake. Also, the rear brakes were drums...

Do rotors not put as much pressure down as drum brakes?
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I have this in both my Camaro and my cruze Eco I drive daily. I have asked the dealer they say its normal and every other Chevy car I have driven has been the same way so my guess is that is the way Chevy makes the emergency break from the factory. I have tried adjusting the brake in my cruze Eco which has has rear drums with no improvement at all.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
I had this when I got my used 2010. I had noooo confidence in the parking brake so when I changed the rotors a few months later, I had the garage tighten up the cable for me. Problem solved.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehead2000 View Post
I had this when I got my used 2010. I had noooo confidence in the parking brake so when I changed the rotors a few months later, I had the garage tighten up the cable for me. Problem solved.
It's gonna be a while before I'm changing them but, I'll keep that in mind. I might just get down there and do it if it continues to annoy me lol.

And that's weird if it's just chevys, I'll have to pay attention next time I'm renting a car on a work trip.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
filthyfun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary Convertible
I've noticed this also on my Camaro.
filthyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Just the way the car is designed. But I will admit, this is probably my only complaint about the car, although I can't really call it a complaint, I guess. What's weird is the E brake is strong. If you try to take off with it on, it's not going anywhere. But when you pull it up to engage it, it doesn't seem like it even works because the car will always roll. I was always taught to put on the E brake before putting it in park, so I've done that ever since my first day behind the wheel. But with the Camaro, I still do that, but always let off the regular foot brake really gently so the car doesn't jostle forward or backward. This might not even matter, but I'm anal retentive about my car, so I want to make sure and take care of it in every way possible. Just my two cents, I guess...
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaster View Post
Hey guys, I feel like my parking brake is a bit on the wimpy side. When on a slope my car will still roll backward unless I have the brake lever pulled to the high heavens.

Is it just me, or is this an issue? Car is brand new so I doubt anything is bad.

I'm coming from a truck which had a foot pedal e brake. Also, the rear brakes were drums...

Do rotors not put as much pressure down as drum brakes?
Thank you for the feedback on these components. I will definitely document these into our database for many departments of GM to see.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Thank you for the feedback on these components. I will definitely document these into our database for many departments of GM to see.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
That'd be awesome, thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
I had the problem with my WRX, all I did to fix it was jack the car up and tighten the e-brake. The location for it what on the rear-right tire. Idk where it is on the Camaro, but I'm sure someone can find out for you.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I can't remember, if I did ever read it, does the V6 have drums inside the rotors like the V8 does?

If so, and even if not, it's worth a try.
Put the car in reverse, build up to a few MPH and tug the parking brake hard on and off (hold the button in) a few times.
They all have small drums in the rear for the parking brake. Also the parking brake should never be relied on by itself, the car should be left in gear.