Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #29
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
This is not a production vehicle, but a collector's edition. Less than 100 are being produced and only half will have the track package, I would be shocked to see one under $60k.
Get off the crack pipe, man, and do some research before you speak.

1). GT350 IS a production car. Comes of off the same line as the base and GT Mustangs.

2). They made 137 in model year 2015. 100 GT350's, 37 R's. You are right that only 50 of the GT350's will have the track pack option. For the 2016 MY, they are saying 5000 or so will be produced with around 500 of them being R trim.

3). The GT350 MSRP's at under $50K.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #30
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
I had to make this very decision back in March. I test drove both, loved both, and was coming from a 2010 Mustang GT that I really enjoyed. Ultimately, I went with the Camaro. I could only afford a base V8 with a few options, and I enjoyed the right better in the Camaro. I preferred the 1SS/RS Interior and Wheels to a comparably equipped Mustang. I also got a better discount on the 1SS then I likely could have on the Mustang.

If I were able to go with a fully loaded premium model, I might have leaned towards the Mustang because I preferred the Premium's interior, it was one of the nicest I've been in for both the class and Money.

Good luck, both are bad ass rides
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #31
iroc_but5.0sdont
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 camaro, iroc, 5.7, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
This is not a production vehicle, but a collector's edition. Less than 100 are being produced and only half will have the track package, I would be shocked to see one under $60k.

Not true at all. Ford is going to produce at least 5000 GT350's per year for at least the next four years for only $47,000.
iroc_but5.0sdont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #32
MRREVINTO7

Drives: 14 1Le --14 chevy ss sedan 07shelby
maybe i can help with your decision ...i owned a 12 5.0 brembo track pack car it was a great car only issue was the MT-82 6 speeds are a little weak in my opinion but over all it was a fun fast solid car ..as of now i own a 14 1LE with lots of work done to it its a blast to drive and a great car but it is now on the verge of not what i would use daily as its got a big cam blower and methanol injected .it still drive good and get 21 mpg on the hwy but tip in to it and you can see 6 mpg LOL ..so i went a month ago and bought a car i never had an interest in ..15 Scatpack challenger with A8 trans ...I can not stress enough how awsome this car is especially for the money ..it handles unbelieveably good from what you would expect .its fast i have nothing more than drag radials on the back it consistently runs 12.0s 115 mph and on the hwy gets 26.mpg in eco mode .plus very comfy car ..it sounds amazing stock with factory dual mode exhaust and has tons of features .its probably my favorite car i ever owned no bullshit ..and i have owned everything in the working class guy muscle category ...i always was a chevy guy first then went to ford for a few years they have been a lot of fun too .but dodge got there stuff together in 15 finally and the Scatpack is bargain sleeper that is quite over looked and is a great car that slipped through the cracks ...look at some reviews ....the new mustang is a tight cabin and looks sporty but its a porker too!!! there are great programs on dodge challenger now so go drive a scatpack if you can even find one now and make some unbiased reviews on your own ...there really is no bad choice of the 3 so good luck ...i also have a 14 SS Sedan ls3 its an awsome ride if you don't mind 4 doors !!!
MRREVINTO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #33
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
Get off the crack pipe, man, and do some research before you speak.

1). GT350 IS a production car. Comes of off the same line as the base and GT Mustangs.

2). They made 137 in model year 2015. 100 GT350's, 37 R's. You are right that only 50 of the GT350's will have the track pack option. For the 2016 MY, they are saying 5000 or so will be produced with around 500 of them being R trim.

3). The GT350 MSRP's at under $50K.

You basically just backed everything I and others have agreed on, researched and experienced.

I am happy to expound on my original position though.

1) The GT350 is not a "Mustang with options", it is a different model even though it is built on the same production line. I do not like classification either as my personal beliefs are that one is exactly like the next one, no different than ordering leather. Alas, for reasons I don't care about, the international automotive people that make up these things have determined that these are not the same car, but are in fact different vehicles no different than a Porsche 911 Turbo vs. Mazda Miata. You are correct in that there is no official global automotive definition for the term "production vehicle". NASCAR and other race authorities have defined the term to 500+ units and for some reason I seem to remember IROC used to be 200+ units, though am unable to confirm. The GT350 does not qualify as a legal pre-production model as these are classified as experimental or one offs not available to the public. Using the NASCAR definition (and most accepted terms), the GT350 and GT350R are not production models this year.

2) Manny Galvin ("Mustang Manny") stated in a Facebook post back in March that production of the GT350 starts in 2016 @ 5,000 units / year and that a track production version (GT350R) at 500 units / year. Ford, Mustang Manny and other sources have also stated that for 2015, two different limited run pre-production models would be offered to the public; 100x GT350's and 37 GT350R's. Many (most?) news outlets are in fact writing statements as, "137 2015 GT350's will be made" along with "some will have a special track package", however widely accepted - this is technically incorrect when defining official models.

3) The MSRP has been well established and there is a rather fun argument about $47k vs. 48k and if you include the gas guzzler tax and the like, however these vehicles will not be sold anywhere remotely near the MSRP before the 2016 model year. I am already hearing reports of $10k+ Market Value Adjustments (MVA) as dealers test the waters and I expect up to $25k and even more for the R version. Planet Ford (for those near Houston) sold the GT500 with a $25k MVA and $75k+ sticker and could not keep them in stock. Today, Planet Ford is taking orders on the 2015 GT350, but they are in fact charging a $15,000 MVA (confirmed earlier this week) with total pricing starting at $65k + options. Six other Ford dealers I talked with are not even getting allotments. Hemmings lists 12 used models available between $50k (base) and $150k (R model) on used ones (2011-2014). Bell Ford in AZ is charging $20k MVA for the GT350 and almost $30k MVA for the R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc_but5.0sdont View Post
Not true at all. Ford is going to produce at least 5000 GT350's per year for at least the next four years for only $47,000.
Hmm, see above. We might be splitting hairs, but technically we are both correct and yes, dealers will have the opportunity to buy them from Ford @ $47k-ish invoice, starting with the 2016 model and for select dealers even the 2015. Your regional dealers may not be taking advantage of Market Pricing for the 2015 though.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #34
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRREVINTO7 View Post
maybe i can help with your decision ...i owned a 12 5.0 brembo track pack car it was a great car only issue was the MT-82 6 speeds are a little weak in my opinion but over all it was a fun fast solid car ..as of now i own a 14 1LE with lots of work done to it its a blast to drive and a great car but it is now on the verge of not what i would use daily as its got a big cam blower and methanol injected .it still drive good and get 21 mpg on the hwy but tip in to it and you can see 6 mpg LOL ..so i went a month ago and bought a car i never had an interest in ..15 Scatpack challenger with A8 trans ...I can not stress enough how awsome this car is especially for the money ..it handles unbelieveably good from what you would expect .its fast i have nothing more than drag radials on the back it consistently runs 12.0s 115 mph and on the hwy gets 26.mpg in eco mode .plus very comfy car ..it sounds amazing stock with factory dual mode exhaust and has tons of features .its probably my favorite car i ever owned no bullshit ..and i have owned everything in the working class guy muscle category ...i always was a chevy guy first then went to ford for a few years they have been a lot of fun too .but dodge got there stuff together in 15 finally and the Scatpack is bargain sleeper that is quite over looked and is a great car that slipped through the cracks ...look at some reviews ....the new mustang is a tight cabin and looks sporty but its a porker too!!! there are great programs on dodge challenger now so go drive a scatpack if you can even find one now and make some unbiased reviews on your own ...there really is no bad choice of the 3 so good luck ...i also have a 14 SS Sedan ls3 its an awsome ride if you don't mind 4 doors !!!
This makes me wish I had bought a Scatpack...

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #35
iroc_but5.0sdont
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 camaro, iroc, 5.7, 350
Well I do think that the GT350R will be marked "if you have to ask then you cannot afford it" at several dealerships. Meaning they might not even have a window sticker on them and will be sold to the highest bidder since only around 500 a year will be built. On the other hand with 5000 GT350's being produced for several years I really think that regular Joes will have a chance to own one of these. Now lets rewind the clock to 1993 when Ford produced the Cobra and Cobra R. The Cobras sold at or below sticker price while the Cobra Rs went for more. Lets fast forward to 2003-04. Ford was offering 6000 off the msrp of the 2004 Cobras. So I think it's reasonable to think that Joe Dirts like me might have a shot at one of these.
iroc_but5.0sdont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #36
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
The scat pack is actually the car I was going to get. Test drove a few of them. My problem with it was the price. I'm looking to keep it at or under 40k and the scat pack was going to be 45k the way I wanted it. Not to mention all the dealers that had one either raised the price 5k or treated them like they were gold and refused to deal

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #37
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Nothing wrong with buying a slightly used zl1 with 2000-4000 miles and $14,000 off. But if you want to treat yourself to a brand new car get the Scat Pack 6.4L Challenger. No one will be mad at you here lol
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #38
MRREVINTO7

Drives: 14 1Le --14 chevy ss sedan 07shelby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The scat pack is actually the car I was going to get. Test drove a few of them. My problem with it was the price. I'm looking to keep it at or under 40k and the scat pack was going to be 45k the way I wanted it. Not to mention all the dealers that had one either raised the price 5k or treated them like they were gold and refused to deal
They had a ridiculous program and incentives mine was 44.5 I went out the door it was 41 with tax ...
MRREVINTO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:10 AM   #39
LEADfoot927

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP
Have you considered slightly used? If so a low mileage srt8/392 or GT500 is an option.
2010 Camaro SS L99
2011 Camaro SS Ls3
2011 Dodge Charger R/T
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee/ Reso Delete
Current ride:
2012 GT500/ 2.3 TVS, Afco Dual pass heat exchanger, Roush Extreme Exhaust: 606 rwhp/ 611 wtq
LEADfoot927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #40
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
They had a ridiculous program and incentives mine was 44.5 I went out the door it was 41 with tax ...
Just when I thought my decision was easy because I couldn't afford the challenger, I got an email for a challenger for 40k. Now it's back to debating which one I'll go for

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADfoot927 View Post
Have you considered slightly used? If so a low mileage srt8/392 or GT500 is an option.
I would consider slightly used but for the challenger, it'd have to be a 2015 because that's when the interior changed to the much nicer one

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #41
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Honestly the 6th gen SS seems to be unmatched by anything else at the 40K range. If you add MRC/NPP on 1ss it will be below 40 or around that. 2ss slighty above. The 6th gen SS is really packing a lot for that price range, that it takes the crown. If the 200lb loss is true, the added hp and torque, improved suspension , better handling , better platform, this will be the king of the street. Mustangs will be bullied, lol.

The 6th gen GT has a nice exterior design, and for some reason mustang fans claim superior interior quality although to me it's just more buttons. Now they can't claim advantage in that department. Performance wise, GM has better technology too. The mustang fanboys are now stacking the base SS against the GT350 lol. A base SS 6th gen with 1LE package will probably take it on let alone the upcoming ZL1 and Z28. But most people don't drive these track orientated cars such as the Z28 and GT350R. What matters is the V8 model, and they know very well GM put that in a difficult position. Now Ford needs to find a way to tune the coyote engine, lol. They might have to put an ecoboost engine in there.

Somebody said the GT350 will be had for 47K, simply not true. At least 60K, probably well near 70. The R model will be marked up for 80-90.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #42
LEADfoot927

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
Honestly the 6th gen SS seems to be unmatched by anything else at the 40K range. If you add MRC/NPP on 1ss it will be below 40 or around that. 2ss slighty above. The 6th gen SS is really packing a lot for that price range, that it takes the crown. If the 200lb loss is true, the added hp and torque, improved suspension , better handling , better platform, this will be the king of the street. Mustangs will be bullied, lol.

The 6th gen GT has a nice exterior design, and for some reason mustang fans claim superior interior quality although to me it's just more buttons. Now they can't claim advantage in that department. Performance wise, GM has better technology too. The mustang fanboys are now stacking the base SS against the GT350 lol. A base SS 6th gen with 1LE package will probably take it on let alone the upcoming ZL1 and Z28. But most people don't drive these track orientated cars such as the Z28 and GT350R. What matters is the V8 model, and they know very well GM put that in a difficult position. Now Ford needs to find a way to tune the coyote engine, lol. They might have to put an ecoboost engine in there.

Somebody said the GT350 will be had for 47K, simply not true. At least 60K, probably well near 70. The R model will be marked up for 80-90.
I have a hard time seeing a 6th gen 1LE beating a GT350, considering it was developed as a track oriented car aimed at the Z28. The 1LE will just be an add on to an SS.
2010 Camaro SS L99
2011 Camaro SS Ls3
2011 Dodge Charger R/T
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee/ Reso Delete
Current ride:
2012 GT500/ 2.3 TVS, Afco Dual pass heat exchanger, Roush Extreme Exhaust: 606 rwhp/ 611 wtq
LEADfoot927 is offline   Reply With Quote