Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 05-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
Track newb

Alright so I just started running the car down at our weekly event at the strip. Ive done 4 passes so far, and I average 14.5 with my nannies on and 14.0 at 103mph with Stabilitrak on. I am actually getting good reaction times at .3 on average. But to the point what is the best tips for a new guy runnung at the strip? I launch at about 3k I believe. Im not entirely sure as I'm one of the guys who go by feel.

Also, I shift right around 6k, and only get into 3rd gear before the run is over. I'm not sure if shifting at maybe 5.5k and running into 4th gear would be better? What do you guys reccomend for a new guy, with a stock LS3?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Im pretty much a newb myself but I find launching at that high of RPM will make TC come on or the clutch will stick. I also noticed that not revving the motor into redline produced better times.

3rd gear on a standard SS is where you need to be. My best run was launching around 1500/2k and everything was off. Some spin and wheel hop but I noticed at the 2nd gear shift my car actually broke lose rather than bogged down.

R/T really means nothing for time wise. RTs are more for actually racing another person. I always try to beat myself, If I beat the person next to me, awesome.

What are your 60ft times? that will give you the best idea on how to launch your car.

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 05-11-2015 at 01:35 AM.
CamaroDreams76 is online now   Reply With Quote