Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Arrow CAI for LLT V6: Quick Review

Wanted to give a review of the CAI in my LLT.
My previous vehicle was a Grand Prix and it had a CAI so I knew what to expect. In the Camaro, I have a ported tb but no other real engine mods.

Here are my notes:
  • Installation: Installation was straight-forward. Because of fitment questions I had, it took 1.25 hrs. Now I know how to install it, it would take me <30 minutes. It does look really good in the engine bay. Here was my installer thread regarding it.
    https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...7#post10193977
  • Intake Sound: In my Grand Prix, the CAI had a strong vacuum sound. For the Camaro, there was little difference. Not a big deal either way.
  • Exhaust Note: This is where the most difference occurred. Its definitely has a deeper, throatier sound, especially on high gear/heavy load.
  • Testing conditions: I made sure I remembered how the car responded under specific conditions (not going to list these conditions to prevent boredom). After the install, I drove it for 2 days/50 miles to ensure the PCM adjusted and repeated the same conditions as best as possible.
  • Results - Power: A stock LLT supposed to get 246RWHP | 220lbs-ft. I would believe CAI's claim of 16 rwhp as it felt exactly like a +5-7% difference.
    There was a very slight feel of better throttle response and it is slightly quicker at 1/2 throttle and WOT.
  • Results - MPG: After 7 years of owning the car, I always averaged 19 MPG even after trip resets. With the CAI, its very close to 20 MPG. I drove it the exact same way to ensure there was no placebo effect; however, I believe I may have gotten better MPG as I needed less throttle to get to certain speeds.
  • Overall: In reality, the ROI isn't high. But in comparison to other power mods, the power/cost ratio is good. After installing it, don't expect it to run like a V8 or a s/c as its not designed to give you that. You're going to get an exhaust difference more-so that a power difference. I highly recommend it if you're doing more power mods. In the end, I'm happy with it and I have no regrets. It wasn't a let down.

The engine bay is not up to my standard of clean but I'll take care if it over the weekend. Just wanted to post the install pics
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
TastyBake

Update:

The MPG is still at 20.
I can definitely feel a slight difference and I still agree its approx 5-6% increase. Overall, the exhaust difference makes it more fun to drive.
So, I'm pleased.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #3
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
I noticed an improvement in throttle response with my new CAI, but hp/mpg gain is not noticeable.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I got 2-3 more MPG with my Airraid CAI.
Can consistently do 32-34 MPG all Hwy.
Performance and sound is like night and day. Best Mod I ever did.
Did you re-set the ECU, after the install?
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
SpanishFalcon

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro RS
My K&N CAI makes my camaro sound so much better than it did to begin with. has a light growl when pressing the gas. as far as MPG goes it has done a bit better for me as well. Definitely the best mod i've done so far.
SpanishFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
TastyBake

Update:

MPG: Varies as I've been romping it more. 17 or 20 when I drive normally. I used to get 19 mpg while driving normally so it is better.
Power: Still very slight
Sound: Exhaust sound still very noticeable when I give it more throttle.
Cost: The MPG vs cost won't be recovered for probably 10 years but that isn't the purpose.

Tags
v6; cai; review; llt; mods