Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #57
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRNOSS View Post
When I did my research, buying a car from the states (if the dealership will even sell it to you) meant no warranty in Canada for 6 months and 12,000 miles. I bought a 2010, first model year, so I didn't want to take the chance with no warranty.

There is a lot of paperwork to deal with importing a car as well, but as many will tell you, you will end up saving money, and most likely a lot of it.
True no warranty on new Gm vehicles for 6 months or 12000km. There is very little paper work . Get the title, bill of sale.Give that to US customs 3 days before you want to cross and your good to go. One form to fill out at the Canadian side .You can do it yourself easy or hire a broker for 100.00.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #58
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Trackman correct, import paperwork easy and just need to plan in advance to get paperwork to US Customs 3 days in advance.

I believe the warrenty issue is 6 months And (not Or) 12,000 km. I Checked this out by calling GM Canada and reading small print back in 2010 when I was going to order my 2011 2LT. That was the deal breaker for me. My 2011 is now 3 years old, only at 8,760 km, and it did need strut warrenty work. If I had bought in the states, my 36 month bumper to bumper would have expired before I hit 12,000 km.

Hate GM Canada's inflated price markups. At the time was also pricing a Mustang and both GM and Ford Canada had inflated markups of about $3,500 (before transportation $ and taxes factored in). Difference was Ford had no cross border sales or warrenty restrictions. Just seemed crazy I was paying the extra markup for a Camaro built in Canada.

Unlike most others I am a Canadian Permanent Resident and still have my US passport but no US address. At the time I was price checking in states where I had family or friends (NC, SC, VA, FL). Told the US dealers I was a US citizen but buying to export to Canada. In those states dealers did not have a problem selling to me but that was back in 2010. Nevertheless, GM Canada would still restrict my warrenty on a cross border sale. Not sure if it made a difference to the US dealers but I was paying cash for my Camaro.

If buying in Washington state, find out if your friend can purchase, register in his name (pay state sales tax so find out how much $), friend will have to add the car to his insurance to register (how much?). Once the car is registered and insured in Washington state in your friends name would not think there is a time restriction on how fast he can 'flip' the auto over to you. You will have to pay new Washington state registration fee to get the auto in your your name and pay for 30 day temporary tags. Be sure you can do this in Washington state to avoid state taxes when the auto is 'flipped' to your name and being exported to Canada.

When I inherited my aunts 1998 Riviera from SC, my cousin (then legal owner) signed over the car to me on the registration document, I went to SC and I paid SC for title change and 30 day temporary tags because auto was going to be exported to Canada (proof was my Canadian address). I called my Canadian insurance from SC, added the car to my insurance, they faxed me a copy of document to prove I had insurance. Two weeks in advance of title transfer I had GM send me the letter stating no pending recalls (think I paid about $25 for the document from GM). Arrived in SC and 20 mins at DMV, transfered title to my name & recieved 30 day temporary SC tags (after showing proof of insurance even though it was State Farm Canada).

With title now in my name, proof of insurance in my name (required to change SC title and required to import to Canada), and letter from GM no recall issues, hung out in SC for 3 days after I FedEX the egistration documents to US customs 3 days in advance of crossing the border. Paper work not all that complicated, just takes 2-3 weeks advance planning (like waiting two weeks for letter from GM to clarify no outstanding recall notice's).

Importing an auto from the US to Canada not very complicated as long as you start process about 3-4 weeks in advance. Reading Canadian gov. website makes it look so very complicated. Remember when I moved to Canada ten years ago and became so confused how to import my Texas auto reading government website. My employer started making phone calls, six hours later we found paperwork not that complicated and car ended up at Candian Tire! Remember back at the time, the Texas auto I was exporting to Canada had to have rear seat child restraints. While at Canadian Tire, they pulled a $9.95 part off the shelf and dropped it in the trunk. They told me the rear seat child restraint had to "be in the car", did not have to be "installed" in the car (LOF).

Sorry for the long post. GM Canada is responsible for inflated product prices, not your Canadian dealerships. GM Canada does not respect cross boarder product sales outlined by NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). My understanding there are class action suites regarding this issue. For now, we just have to live with GM inflated prices and warrenty restrictions.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #59
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
All cars are higher here. Just like everything else. Blame the country not the manufacturer. I sourced a 360 Ferrari F1 down in North Caroline a few years back and saved the guy 32K. Just as good as anything here. I have a $500 dollar rule here. If its over 500 me and the GF go to the states and buy it. Maybe one day after the money keeps going south the government and retailers will wake up. But probably not because this place is run like a daycare.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #60
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
All cars are higher here. Just like everything else. Blame the country not the manufacturer. I sourced a 360 Ferrari F1 down in North Caroline a few years back and saved the guy 32K. Just as good as anything here. I have a $500 dollar rule here. If its over 500 me and the GF go to the states and buy it. Maybe one day after the money keeps going south the government and retailers will wake up. But probably not because this place is run like a daycare.
100%
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #61
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
100%
Nice to see someone else with their eyes open realizing this place is broken.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #62
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
But remember is its newer then 15 yrs old it can NOT be modified anything more the. REGULAR maintenance items... :( has to be stock
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #63
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Yes......MUST BE BONE STOCK. To the eyes of the " tech" at Canadian Tire.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #64
musslcar
MUSSLCAR

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Bought mine in US and saved $15,000. push a button to change from metric to standard

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/camaro...tint_thumb.jpg
musslcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #65
NovaDaddy
Nova Daddy

Drives: 2012 Cummins/1972 Nova 2 door coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Yes......MUST BE BONE STOCK. To the eyes of the " tech" at Canadian Tire.
I've imported 4 vehicles. If the border people see its not stock and are board that day they can deny entry for that vehicle until it is in "stock" condition. It should be based on whats a safe mod, not stock. I bought a 72 Nova in MB had to have out of province done in Alberta. I upgraded suspension to tubular control arms coil overs disc brakes. The auto shop said technically we cannot pass this because its not stock. The changes I did were 200% better than stock, goes to show how stupid our government is!!
NovaDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote