Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Coilovers..trying to decide

So I want to go with coil overs. Im sitting hear reading, and I keep reading KW is far better than Pedders, but why? Can pedders respond? KW? I personally have never heard of Pedders, but have dealt with KW in the past, so I am swaying towards them. What make these two companies different?

The KW V3 and Pedders XA should be in direct competition.?.?.?

I guess what Im trying to get at is, wanna drop the SS, dont want to lose ride quality, and the roads around here suck..potholes and such.
HaZe_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
How about these coil-overs from Pfadt!

American Made ( quality )!

These coilovers feature an inverted valve body for lower un-sprung mass, which means a better travel over the road for the suspension. The valve is larger then typical units for durability and strength. These units have quick and easy 16 way adjustments for ride dampening and rebound, so you can dial in the comfort level you want, and since the coilover assembly sets ride height with the perch adjustments you do not sacrifice any suspension travel. I would say from your descripiton this coilovers would be ideal for your situation, for quality, strength, and smooth driving operation.

Regards
Brandon
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post

These coilovers feature an inverted valve body for lower un-sprung mass, which means a better travel over the road for the suspension. The valve is larger then typical units for durability and strength. These units have quick and easy 16 way adjustments for ride dampening and rebound, so you can dial in the comfort level you want, and since the coilover assembly sets ride height with the perch adjustments you do not sacrifice any suspension travel. I would say from your description this coilovers would be ideal for your situation, for quality, strength, and smooth driving operation.

Regards
Brandon
Will be truly awesome. But they are unavailable currently. Ask me how I know... :

As for one mfg vs another, I would be asking questions like:
1. How are the adjustments made? (top or bottom for ease of adjustment)
2. Are the adj separate? (you really have to understand your rebound vs compression to make full use of this option)
3. Do you really need ALL that adjustment?
4. Are the adjustments truly incremental or once passed a certain level does it just go straight to linear
5. Overall weight of each unit
6. Can be rebuilt/serviced?

Just my .02 ... and FWIW, I'm getting Pfadt's if they ever come in....the Pfadt's are 16 position adjustables that do both rebound & compression at the same time per each adjustment. They are incremental up to position 14 where they go linear and would really only work on the track... (a little birdie told me )
Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
IPS Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Will be truly awesome. But they are unavailable currently. Ask me how I know... :

2. Are the adj separate? (you really have to understand your rebound vs compression to make full use of this option)
4. Are the adjustments truly incremental or once passed a certain level does it just go straight to linear

Just my .02 ... and FWIW, I'm getting Pfadt's if they ever come in....the Pfadt's are 16 position adjustables that do both rebound & compression at the same time per each adjustment. They are incremental up to position 14 where they go linear and would really only work on the track... (a little birdie told me )
Hah, Soon they will be done in production soon my friend. There are a few kits out their, so they do exist, we are just waiting on this first batch to start the snow ball

Oh and these are east Asian specials like some cheaper competitors...Which will blow out after 5000 miles, and ride like rubbish.

Last edited by IPS Brandon; 02-09-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
HaZe_X

Quote:

These coilovers feature an inverted valve body for lower un-sprung mass, which means a better travel over the road for the suspension. The valve is larger then typical units for durability and strength. These units have quick and easy 16 way adjustments for ride dampening and rebound, so you can dial in the comfort level you want, and since the coilover assembly sets ride height with the perch adjustments you do not sacrifice any suspension travel. I would say from your descripiton this coilovers would be ideal for your situation, for quality, strength, and smooth driving operation.

Regards
Brandon
Didnt know Pfadt made coilovers..thanks for making my life harder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post

Great point. I mean my car will never see a road course, just a drag strip. But I do like too throw in the corners. I think the KW's and Pedders both have easy adjustment access, looks like Pfadt does also. Gotta continue researching...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
The Pedders xa coil overs are very high qaulity.They are not a full racing shock they are a cross between every day driving and some auto cross or track day use.they can be adjusted from 1" up to 2" lower without changing the amount of suspension travel due to the height adjustment being made at the lower mount.the shock valving has 30 settings for your personal needs.these adjustments are what allows the car to set lower and not compomise the ride qaulity.There are serveral companies out there that make a good shock but only Pedders was chosen to be installed on every Gm owned Camaro for the 2009 SEMA show.
They are also the preffered suspension being used on the Nickey,Berger And Yenko camaros to name a few.
The Pedders company is a family owned company from Au with a reputation for qaulity.There are authorized dealers in most states to help with installation,sales,technical information or warranty should somone need help.For more information about Pedders their web site is Peddersusa.com
We are not only a dealer but are an end user, we have them on our 2010 camaro.they are a great value.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
I got the KW V3 on the way. Will be hear tomm. I picked them because Pfadt was taking to long and I was suffering on the road course with those factory struts. I will let you know how the KW's perform.

Also Try Maperformance they have the best pricing like $1720 shipped to your door for KW V3. Nobody here can beat that. And they have them all in stock. There new website is www.performancelsx.com
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I went with Pedders and I have a set for sale in the classifieds section. 30-way adjustable and they have a solid reputation with GM racing and on the GTO forums.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
IPS Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
I got the KW V3 on the way. Will be hear tomm. I picked them because Pfadt was taking to long and I was suffering on the road course with those factory struts. I will let you know how the KW's perform.

Also Try Maperformance they have the best pricing like $1720 shipped to your door for KW V3. Nobody here can beat that. And they have them all in stock. There new website is www.performancelsx.com
I can beat that price Just have to ask, as that's advertised to low for manufacturer restrictions.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
HaZe_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post

Thanks!..1720 is the lowest I seen yet!..Im sure the KW's will perform great, 99% sure Im going with them. Make sure you post your results some where

Quote:
I can beat that price Just have to ask, as that's advertised to low for manufacturer restrictions.
Really..Mind PM'ing me your price? Instock?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
SMGSS

Drives: 00 SS, 67 SS
pfadt and pedders both make excellent coil overs.
SMGSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
IPS Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZe_X View Post
Thanks!..1720 is the lowest I seen yet!..Im sure the KW's will perform great, 99% sure Im going with them. Make sure you post your results some where

Really..Mind PM'ing me your price? Instock?
Not at all, done & done. Current ETA on stock order is 2/18

Regards
Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
Fishdadddy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ; 1970 Firebird Formula
Brandon,

Please PM me a price on the KV 3 also

Thanks
Fishdadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
SS Matt

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, CGM
I was kinda wondering if the V1s would be plenty good for people who just want a lower stance and improved performance, but don't autocross. I've had fully adjustable suspension before when I was drag racing, and it was pretty impressive how much range they had. But that was a different time and I don't plan on racing anymore.
SS Matt is offline   Reply With Quote