Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
2010 Camaro Stereo BA Speaker Wiring Info

I added bass blockers to my door speakers today. I did this in my 02SS as well for my doors and rears as it takes out up to (for my application) 50w of bass from the speakers allowing much cleaner highs. I would ONLY suggest doing this if you are running subs in the trunk. You get much cleaner and louder highs when the volume gets up there into the 35 to 40 range. It's still a lot of distortion beyond that 40 to 45 range. But, it cleans it up a lot and is worth it.

I looked around on the web for the wiring diagram and even called Boston Acoustics to see if they had the 2010 Camaro stereo wiring diagram. The main reason you need this is to find out which speaker wire is the positive and which wire is the negative. You want to add the bass blocker (commonly referred to as a speaker saver found as Best Buy and other stores) into the positive wire as close to the speaker as possible. Just take off the door panel, remove the single screw that holds the speaker in place, disconnect the speaker, and cut the positive wire about two inches from the connector. Expose the wire on either end and toss in the bass blocker...twist the wires at either end...tape it up w/ electrical tape, solder it..whatever, reconnect and put the speaker back in and the door panel back on. VERY simple process.

I finally called my Chevy dealer and the only person who could give me the schematics (over the phone only) was the shop foreman. So, if any of you want to do like me (who have added subs and want cleaner sound for your mids), here's the info on which wires are what. You'll need this info and I sure as hell couldn't find it on the web!

Again, I only did the doors...but here's for all the speakers.

Center speaker: yellow is positive

Driver door: tan is positive and light gray is negative

Passenger door: light green is positive and dark green is negative

The rears have two speakers on either side....

Left Rear Sub: dark blue is positive and light blue is negative
Left rear high: dark blue w/ white tracer is positive and green is negative

Right Rear Sub: light blue is positive and blue w/ black tracer is negative
Right rear high: dark green is positive and light blue w/ black tracer is negative.

Have fun!

No...I didn't bother w/ the door tweeters since they are separate and I do believe they are the common red/black wires meaning pos/neg...from what I remember pulling them out twice. ....yeah...red and black.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
All of these wires should be the same color as the wires coming out of the BA amp in the trunk, correct?
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
At what Hz do those filters block at?
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I think he meant 50Hz, not 50w...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Thanks alot for te info TAG! This will help alot for me since 800 rms will be locked in my trunk like shunt
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Do the speakers have the resistance marked on them -- are they 4 or 8 ohm?
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
CAM MAN

Drives: ALL 5 GEN CAMAROS
Thank's Tag for the info I 'm Thinking of upgrading mine.
CAM MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
All of these wires should be the same color as the wires coming out of the BA amp in the trunk, correct?
Pretty sure that's right. FROM the amp to the speaker has to be the same color. That would be pretty messed up if there were a male to female jack where the colors just changed...lol. Talk about confusing everyone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
At what Hz do those filters block at?
There are different sizes. The ones I got block 0 to 300Hz into a 4-ohm speaker and 0-150Hz into a 8-ohm speaker that is 50 watts or less.

The capacitor value is: 133mfd 50volt non-polar 10%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Thanks alot for te info TAG! This will help alot for me since 800 rms will be locked in my trunk like shunt
U got it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deljaso View Post
Do the speakers have the resistance marked on them -- are they 4 or 8 ohm?
Didn't look. Not sure if 4 or 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM MAN View Post
Thank's Tag for the info I 'm Thinking of upgrading mine.
U bet!

Now that I've had some time to listen to my system for a bit, I'm thinking of adding a bass blocker to the dash speaker as well.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
spectrepig

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS. Black w/ inferno orang
Where did you get your remote turn on power for additional amp, and where did you get your input for your new amp? Getting ready to open up the panels to install my stuff and need to know which wires to splice into. Thanks.
spectrepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Can't help you there. I didn't wire the amp. Don't know where they ran the wires too. Sorry
Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

BTW, for those wanting to put bass blockers in the rear decklid speakers, you can access the speaker wires from the trunk. You don't need to pop out the mesh grills and remove the speakers to get to the wires.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Bass blockers are a good idea in some factory systems that send a full signal to the speakers. But, these filters will have no effect on the door speakers or front speaker in a BA system, because the Boston amp is already applying a high-pass filter to these outputs. The bass blocker would be trying to eliminate frequencies that are not present.

The rear deck speakers have separate wires for the tweeter and woofer. The tweeters already have a high-pass filter and the woofers have a low-pass filter. Adding bass blockers to the woofers would have about the same effect as un-plugging them, because only low frequencies are being passed from the amp, then if you block them, you essentially have little or nothing left.

If you are just adding a powered sub and not replacing the amp or other speakers, then it might be desirable to disable the 6x9 subs with bass blockers (or un-plugging them). This way you are replacing the crappy bass and not just adding better bass to it.

This still leaves one of the big problems with the BA system, which is no mid-range frequencies coming from the rear at all. There are only tweeters and subs. I think a well designed sub upgrade would also involve routing a new signal to the 6x9 speakers that includes mids, otherwise the 6x9s are wasted.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Aristomones
Transformer Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT coupe
Hey Guys Artie in Az. I bought a pair of Infity 6x9's for my camaro and I removed every panel overlaping the rear deck panel to lift it off and it's not happening? The way it appears would seem that it would come right off!! I pulled all the clips off that I could find and it still will not come off. The speakers are sandwhiched between the plastic covering and the metal deck! What a PIA! If I push up from under the deck it only moves up at the center. $140.00 for the speakers so I thought I'd save money DIM.Any Ideas ? Thanks

Last edited by Aristomones; 12-23-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: gramatical error
Aristomones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristomones View Post
Hey Guys Artie in Az. I bought a pair of Infity 6x9's for my camaro and I removed every panel overlaping the rear deck panel to lift it off and it's not happening? The way it appears would seem that it would come right off!! I pulled all the clips off that I could find and it still will not come off. The speakers are sandwhiched between the plastic covering and the metal deck! What a PIA! If I push up from under the deck it only moves up at the center. $140.00 for the speakers so I thought I'd save money DIM.Any Ideas ? Thanks
Check out post #7 in this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50813

It sounds like you are on step #8, which the OP described as "a big pain". I hope his description of the step helps you. I will be installing dynamat and replacing the door and rear speakers this weekend. I will provide an update when I am done.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote