Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - New England

Phastek Performance

Old 12-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Borla Exhaust and MA law

Didn't wanted to put this question in the Borla thread. Is it street legal to have any of these exhausts that are louder than the stock? I have no experience in this matter so asking here..

Sounds illegal per MGL,
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...er90/Section16

(2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
You should be fine. Generally normal cat back exhausts won't get you into any trouble. Now when you start to combine those with longtubes and high flow cats you are gonna attract a lot of attention due to the extra volume.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Changing the exhaust is illegal in MA. Everybody still does it. Stop by my shop and see the cars, then you'll really scratch your head on what people do and drive them daily.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
You'll be fine they won't stop you 100% of the time for a loud exhaust unless your being an @sshat and ripping through neighborhoods at 10pm.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
You'll be fine they won't stop you 100% of the time for a loud exhaust unless your being an @sshat and ripping through neighborhoods at 10pm.
@sshat This word will now be over-used, way too often. Thank you Evil-Bee

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Sorry, didn't check this section for a while...I also opened a similar thread in exhaust section and many folks chimed in there. After market exhausts are street illegal in many states including MA, enforcement of those laws is a separate matter...most cops don't bother.
Funny to learn how varied the state laws are in this matter, some are strict down to specifying the dbA level and others simply says you just need an exhaust to drive a car!
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknightkamaro View Post
@sshat This word will now be over-used, way too often. Thank you Evil-Bee
Your welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM-FIFTY View Post
Sorry, didn't check this section for a while...I also opened a similar thread in exhaust section and many folks chimed in there. After market exhausts are street illegal in many states including MA, enforcement of those laws is a separate matter...most cops don't bother.
Funny to learn how varied the state laws are in this matter, some are strict down to specifying the dbA level and others simply says you just need an exhaust to drive a car!
Ya it's a little funny. Very few PD's actually harass anyone for this unless your acting like I specified above. The stock NPP exhaust on a V8 SS is louder then most aftermarket systems so you'll be fine in pretty much all of the new England area. CT and RI might be the worse for this but same basic rules apply don't be an @sshat around residential areas and LEOs and your probably gonna be fine if anything most officers will give you a thumbs up some appreciate the exhaust in school zones loud pipes save lives.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote