Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking Curing 5th Gen Camaro Wheel Hop

Curing 5th Gen Camaro Wheel Hop

All the horsepower in the world will not make your car faster if it can not transfer that power to the pavement. 5th generation Camaro owners, especially those with cars that are extensively modified, are quickly learning this due to the dreaded “wheel hop”. Wheel hop is a violent and potentially damaging condition that typically occurs when the car is launched aggressively and feels like the rear tires were replaced with jack hammers. Very simply, it is just a rapid and repeated loss and recovery of traction.

When your car begins to accelerate various bushings and suspension/chassis components flex. Under normal driving conditions this flexing is negligible but when the car is launched aggressively the deflection causes significant toe changes which reduce the contact patch of the rear tires. This leads to a reduction in traction and momentary wheel slippage which alleviates the toe changes and allows the rear tires to regrip. The vicious circle then continues as the suddenly improved traction again results in flexing thus causing toe changes and leading to wheel slippage.

The Fix

Getting rid of wheel hop is pretty straightforward for most Camaro owners. By upgrading the components known to be responsible for the flexing with stronger/stiffer aftermarket units you will lock the rear suspension geometry in place and significantly improve grip and performance. The top three components you will want to focus on are:

1) Rear cradle bushings- The rear cradle is the structural member that the entire rear suspension and drivetrain are built on. It is essentially the foundation of the rear of your car. You can use polyurethane bushings to limit the movement of the rear cradle or go with a solid bushing to lock it in place. Solid is a scary word when it comes to suspension but with the rear cradle you can get away with it, even on daily driver applications.

2) Rear trailing arms- We have found that a good set of rear cradle bushings and rear trailing arms are many times all it takes to cure wheel hop for the average bolt on car. These aftermarket components are often lighter than the OEM units they replace and allow the rear suspension to respond more quickly and keep the rear tires in contact with the pavement, thus increasing traction. They are also stronger and replace the stock mushy rubber bushings with stiffer polyurethane units that reduce flexing under load. Ensure that the rear trailing arms you are looking at include the outer bushings. If not, order them separately.

3) Toe rods- While the rear trailing arms are being installed it is a great opportunity to also upgrade the toe rods. Toe rods are responsible for maintaining toes settings of the rear wheels. Replacing the stock stamped steel rods and mushy rubber bushings with a stronger unit with polyurethane bushings further reduce flexing and improve grip, launch stability, and braking performance.

Two other components you might also want to consider, especially if you like hitting the 1/4 mile, are:

1) Inner rear upper control arm bushings- When launching and shifting aggressively these bushings have a lot of leverage placed on them. Because of that the soft stock bushings flex severely permitting the rear spindles to counter rotate. By upgrading these bushings you will further decrease movement of the rear wheels and have more consistent and predictable load transmission to the rear tires.

2) Rear differential bushings- These units reduce movement of the differential contributing to an overall reduction in drivetrain deflection. This will get more horsepower to the pavement more quickly. You do have to be cautious when looking at rear differential bushings. The harder you go the more likely you are to see increased NVH (noise, vibration, harmonics). It is a good idea to consult with a professional on these.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 05-23-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Nice write up Chase!

Any chance you could possibly to provide a relative score for each of the recommended upgrades with regard to how much each degrades ride comfort and also how much road/suspension noise in the cabin is increased?

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
I think some trailing arms, toe rods and cradle bushings are gonna b my next mod.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct10985 View Post
I think some trailing arms, toe rods and cradle bushings are gonna b my next mod.
You definitely can't go wrong with those parts!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Quote:
I got trailing arms installed....but the rest are still in the box in the garage....been lazy <---- yes all my fault LOL
Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
my car has trailing arms and toe rods and the bushings. helped alot. rear c. are next just to make sure and reduce some movement . nice wrightup chase.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
AC
***GO HOGS GO***

Drives: 68/327 & 10 2SS SIM w/ CGM Stripes
I didn't know about the rear cradle bushings... Good info thanks.

ProCharger F1A, VMax TB, ID1000 Injectors, SW Headers, SW full 3" Exhaust, BMR Suspension & 4 Point Strut Tower Brace, 3.91 Gears, DBA Rotors
Heritage Grille, CCW SP16a Wheels 10"/11.5" Nitto 275/40 315/35, Painted Calipers, Blackout: Bowtie, Rear Panel, Markers & Side Vents,
SS Fender Badges, 6.2L Cowl Lettering, Pistol Grip Shifter, RPI SS Door Kick Plates, Billet Cup Holder, Fesler Shift Boot, Lloyd Floor Mats..(1/4: 12.917 @ 109.63)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I bought my BMR street bushing kit from Apex!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Don't forget to replace the outer bushings when doing the trailing arms!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Cradle bushing replacement should be done BEFORE anything else, IMO! The rear cradle moves around a lot on these 5th gens and is the foundation of the entire rear IRS! Stabilize that first, then move out to trailing arms and the rest!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
AC
***GO HOGS GO***

Drives: 68/327 & 10 2SS SIM w/ CGM Stripes
Thanks ssmike. they are added to my next mod list.... which hopefully will be next month.

ProCharger F1A, VMax TB, ID1000 Injectors, SW Headers, SW full 3" Exhaust, BMR Suspension & 4 Point Strut Tower Brace, 3.91 Gears, DBA Rotors
Heritage Grille, CCW SP16a Wheels 10"/11.5" Nitto 275/40 315/35, Painted Calipers, Blackout: Bowtie, Rear Panel, Markers & Side Vents,
SS Fender Badges, 6.2L Cowl Lettering, Pistol Grip Shifter, RPI SS Door Kick Plates, Billet Cup Holder, Fesler Shift Boot, Lloyd Floor Mats..(1/4: 12.917 @ 109.63)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
Nice write up Chase!

Any chance you could possibly to provide a relative score for each of the recommended upgrades with regard to how much each degrades ride comfort and also how much road/suspension noise in the cabin is increased?
Thanks. I will look at going back and adding more info on that.

Quote:
With the power you are making those would be a game changer. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnoopster View Post
I got trailing arms installed....but the rest are still in the box in the garage....been lazy <---- yes all my fault LOL
Get on it man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
my car has trailing arms and toe rods and the bushings. helped alot. rear c. are next just to make sure and reduce some movement . nice wrightup chase.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
They are critical. Take a look at them and if you have any questions let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY View Post
I bought my BMR street bushing kit from Apex!
Thanks for your order.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Well I'm glad I found this thread. Thanks Chase! Now subed. In my 4th gen days, all I needed were solid trailing arms with polly bushings, and a grease gun.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2017 1LE
i just 3.91 gears put in and i went ahead had the shop install my rear diff since i had them.. ordered cradle bushing from pedders and they will be the next thing installed then rear arm package from pfadt!
Twoblindsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Cradle bushing replacement should be done BEFORE anything else, IMO! The rear cradle moves around alot on these 5th gens and is the foundation of the entire rear IRS! Stabilize that first, then move out to trailing arms and the rest!
Name:  monkey5.gif
Views: 19381
Size:  89.0 KB

Further proof from FEB2012

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=66

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
60 foot, apex motorsports, drag racing, traction, wheel hop