Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Would you accept a repaint of a brand new car?
Yes 35 20.96%
No 132 79.04%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Would you accept a repaint of a brand new car?

Our question is ---

Would you purchase a 45,000+ dollar car and not knowing the extent of things you can't see in areas where paint/primer etc should have been applied - would YOU accept having a body shop start disassembling said brand new car to spray new paint on it?

For those that don't know the back story go here -

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440789

Pictures of the defects of the paint are here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing

After a brief conversation with a person in the executive referral department (don't know what they do exactly) today lead to the person to state that replacing cars doesn't happen and he eluded to the car being repainted. Now we don't know what this person may or may not know about cars but we know he has seen the pictures. We know the service adviser and management at multiple dealerships have seen the pictures and supposedly an area manager of some type has as well. The principle owner of the dealership that sold the car has seen the pictures and we assume that's why they washed their hands of it less than 24 hours after the car was sold. Because they didn't want to have to be dragged into trying to deal with the issues that come along with taking a car apart to repaint the whole damn thing. Or the are just scumbags.

The car has been one problem after another but the main issue is there are massive defects in the paint on the car and now people without seeing the car are making statements about just slapping some paint on there. To make us just go away we assume.

As we are not paint and body experts (but we are trying to self educate) we are looking for some feedback on this. We have been told by multiple people outside this forum that repainting the car will cause issues, could result in other non painted areas of the car not matching the new paint, lower the value of the car, cause us to be without the car for weeks etc. There are very few areas that do not have issues. We are curious as to GM jumping to repainting the car as we can see interior panels of the car that were not painted. They can't use the argument or if they use "well that's normal" that would be pretty interesting as we have now documented 10+ camaro's and they have correctly applied paint inside the trunks, hoods, doors inside and out.

Just looking for the public's opinion on spending their hard earned money with general motors and winding up with a brand new 2016 camaro with defective paint that no one seems to care about.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
I said yes but that is only if replacement won't happen.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It doesn't really matter one way or the other, they're not gonna give you a new car for paint problems. Per the warranty, they get the right to fix it. They may not be fixing yours, But that is the policy.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
It depends.

If I could pick the body shop, and it was a high end one...yes. As a good paint job from a top notch place will blow away anything GM could do on the assembly line. Better finish, no orange peel (they will wet sand), no possible missed spots, will be laid on better, etc, etc...

BUT, if I could not pick who was doing the work, and it was in their hands, no thanks. As they will just find the cheapest place that fits their needs. The difference between an average paint job and a top notch one on that car could easily be $5000+.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
It depends.

If I could pick the body shop, and it was a high end one...yes. As a good paint job from a top notch place will blow away anything GM could do on the assembly line. Better finish, no orange peel (they will wet sand), no possible missed spots, will be laid on better, etc, etc...

BUT, if I could not pick who was doing the work, and it was in their hands, no thanks. As they will just find the cheapest place that fits their needs. The difference between an average paint job and a top notch one on that car could easily be $5000+.
This is my thought exactly. I really hate to touch factory paint if I can in any way avoid it (Thank goodness for Paintless dent repair). But, If I have to, I would want to choose my own repair shop and not leave it to Chevrolet to decide where it goes.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I would try pursuing all options to replace the vehicle. I'm sorry you're going through this with a brand new car. Unacceptable. Maybe make a video on YouTube about the issue? I can try to get it to the front page of reddit and that might help expedite things.

Recently there was a guy that bought a brand new Porsche, he had all sorts of issues and was being ignored by the dealership and anyone he talked to. It hit the front page of reddit and went viral. Porsche USA finally gave him options to replace it or refund I believe.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
pete1077

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Quote:
It depends.

This. I'd have no problem with a competent shop who has a proven track record paint the car.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Accept the repaint and then do a "lemon law"..........
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
It depends.

This exactly ^
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #10

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
From what I can tell, a couple of guys in this thread got replacement cars....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438002

I'd talk to them. You'll be worried about the paint forever, re-done or not. For peace of mind do what it takes to get another car.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It doesn't really matter one way or the other, they're not gonna give you a new car for paint problems. Per the warranty, they get the right to fix it. They may not be fixing yours, But that is the policy.
They get the right to fix it. Ok. So the car is missing paint and primer on interior body panels. So it's their right to fix it? Great, so that means they will be taking the car apart to fix it? We have some people documenting the paint on other cars in our area. Those interior areas are all fully covered so GM will be "fixing" ours because that is their right?

Just trying to clarify, by "fixing it" you mean to say they are going to pull the hood, trunk, fenders, doors etc off. Take it to bare metal, because we are seeing issues where there is primer and where there is not so as non-body shop professionals we assume the car needs to have this protective layer applied before repainting right? If GM has a right to fix the car we have a right to have a car that is fixed correctly, right? That's what body shop professionals are telling us would have to happen. Or is it GM wants us to quit bitching so they can half ass it the second time around like the first time and just slap some paint on the car (two stage paint process, yes?) And if it's their right to fix it we also assume they will be ensuring the bumpers match, incorrectly applied old paint with be blended in to the good paint? Professionals we are talking to say that's really hard to do and most likely won't work this putting us back to square one with a car with defective paint? But to GM is that "fixing it"?

I am curious as to our rights that the car does not have issues down the line from the car being taken apart, put back together as well as possible contamination getting into vital safety systems of the car? We should have rights too correct?

We are just trying to understand the term "fix it" as how that related to a car with defects all over it.

- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

Old 02-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
It depends.

We have already spoken with a very well know body shop about this. They are the only people we would allow to do it and they are giving time tables in weeks and prices higher than some cars I've owned. But they said it would be correct. They said the paint was so badly applied that there are areas where there is no paint AND minimal primer that would require it to all come apart to fix. They also said it wouldn't be like a dealership body shop that doesn't care doing things like just pulling the bumper with no issues and never touching it thus creating issues with paint that will never match up.

See him here -

Old 02-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
No fricken way!!!
It's a new car and I want it painted at the factory, and CORRECTLY.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Your only option is let GM fix it. If you do not like the fix apply for the lemon law in your state if you have one not all states do, Once you sign the ownership of the car or really your bank, GM's responsibility is to repair parts and labor for the duration of the warranty, not replace the car. Even under the lemon law they have the right to repair the car before you can evoke it. Some states they get 3 attempts to fix it, not exactly sure. Had a friend who did evoke the lemon law but halfway through he gave up and sold the car. After 2 yrs of filing papers with the court I think the lawyer bill was about $16,000.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro paint issue, general motors, gm customer service, gm paint issues, quality control