Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Protaper

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
MSD fuel booster

What a headache!! Can't get windows 8 or7 to work with the MSD "programable" fuel pump. Advertises up to 22 volts..stuck on 16 volts and loosing fuel pressure from 57psi to 42psi when boosting above 4000rpm's. any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
1. Are you on stock pump?
2. Can you install and run the MSD View software?
3. Can you connect to the MSD when in the software?
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Protaper

Stock pump..software loaded fine on Windows 7&8. Just can't get the computer to recognize the msd pump when I plug in to it. Followed the instructions exactly for downloading the drivers for usb given on msd website...no luck..called msd they said it was b/c Windows 8 sucks..so tried on an old laptop with Windows 7 with same result..msd view actually said "fuel pump booster" for about 2seconds when searching the com port but than disappeared..now same thing..searching com port then nothing. I'm so frustrated
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
AGP Turbo

Ugh, sorry. USB connectivity problems have driven me crazy for years. At least you don't have to deal with a USB to serial adp. Oh lord, were those the days:(

Can use a different computer. The USB cable will power the MSD, so you can pull it out of the car if you need to. Maybe take it in to work if you have access to an older machine.

BTW we only run those up to 19v and most people only go 18v. So you don't have a lot better to do without a pump upgrade. A ZL1 pump at 19v will support all the air your Whipple can put out.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protaper View Post
Stock pump..software loaded fine on Windows 7&8. Just can't get the computer to recognize the msd pump when I plug in to it. Followed the instructions exactly for downloading the drivers for usb given on msd website...no luck..called msd they said it was b/c Windows 8 sucks..so tried on an old laptop with Windows 7 with same result..msd view actually said "fuel pump booster" for about 2seconds when searching the com port but than disappeared..now same thing..searching com port then nothing. I'm so frustrated

Windows 8 doesn't suck.......MSD does! MSD has known that their software would not work with windows 7 also. I called them over two years ago on that issue. They obviously have no intentions of updating their software and/or drivers to be compatible with current pc software. Luckily I still have an old lap top with windows XP OS. The MSD program will work with windows XP.

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Protaper

Got it with the whipple n my fuel pressure drops from 57psi to 44 under full boost...afr doesn't climb but I'm too afraid to boost hard to have any fun...sucks dropping 10k and can't use it or get msd too help..the booster advertises 22v..is that too much for the pump?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
Protaper

Thanks 2sscamaro..vista worked..turned it up to 18.5v and don't see much difference...what is the max volts on a stock fuel pump. Am I hooked up wright? Am I getting anything from the booster? If so why such a drop..whipple kit plus CAI and LTH..
Old 04-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
AGP Turbo

What's the fuel pressure falling to now with the 18.5v?
How much boost are you running?
Maybe it is hooked up wrong or you're just making that much power. Add a ZL1 pump and you won't have to worry about it.

Last edited by AGP Turbo; 04-25-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
Protaper

Now about 47 psi..the most I've seen on my boost gauge is 7 but have the 4" pulley which gives me 8 to 9..stock volts is 13ish...so I'm getting some pump boost...it just can't keep up
Old 04-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
You might try this, Google disable driver signing for windows 8 and follow instructions. My new laptop has 8 installed and would not recognize my transmission controller, I disabled the driver signing and all is good now. Fairly easy to do, hope this helps.
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
You can turn up the voltage going to the fuel pump in hp tuners progressively using air temps and such. It can be adjusted from 0-20v. How is this MSD programmable pump any different or better?
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.

Last edited by BlackoutLFX; 04-27-2014 at 07:46 AM.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Where may I ask does Hp Tuners get the 20 volts to supply the pump?

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
Where may I ask does Hp Tuners get the 20 volts to supply the pump?
I dunno that's what I am asking? It works with the voltage from the alternator, It is controlled by the computer. 0-20v are the min and max settings in the software. I don't know what the maximum output of the alternator is. I do know that the voltage is cranked up to 16v on some ctsv models, and around mid 15's for zr1s. On my v6 it is set at 11.5 across the board. So I guess the MSD is an extra power supply?
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
BlackoutLFX

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...tage-min-table