Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Battery replacement

With 6.5 years on the factory battery i figure its gotta be reaching its end life. Only 15K for mileage but the Texas heat usually destroys them fairly quick so it lasting this long is a record for me.

Are the Camaro batteries the same for all models? One recommended more than the others? Red or Yellow top have any advantages? Any special attention to anything while i'm in there? Never even actually looked at it to be honest. Preventative maintenance suggestions are good.
Thanks.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
The Z/28 might have a different battery (stock is over 40lbs and Z guys reported 37 I believe at one point, haven't looked in a while), otherwise to my knowledge no, they're all the same. Mine died almost right at 3 years, easy swap. If you wanted to get fancy though, you could run a Braille B2317 (or B2317RP if the positive is on the right, RP being right positive, I don't remember honestly) which at least one guy did when going for a 12 second N/A LLT. Less than half the weight of a stock battery. 17lbs.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
DrLove38

Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
Go to your local ACDelco store and ask for 94r/pg.
$150
Attached Images

DrLove38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:34 AM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
A deep cycle battery might be a better option if you let the battery discharge all the time.

I'd invest in a battery maintenance charger with pulsating capabilities. I have a Pulse Tech Xtreme maintenance charger/conditioner on mine and it works great. I have it connected to the battery through a rubber plug at the bottom of the trunk.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
737mechanic

Drives: 2013 Camaro
You might be surprised how long a battery can last when mounted in the trunk because it is away from the heat of the engine and with the battery protection circuitry to help prevent it from tunning completely down.

I personally would have it load tested and if it passes that check with flying colors I would save the money.

The battery in my wife's BMW lasted 8 years.
737mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Working at a parts/service store from the edge of hell (Tucson, AZ), batteries under the hood here last 2.5 - 3 years. In the truck 4-6 years. Heat kills batteries. Lighter batteries, smaller batteries, or whatever... just use a battery that has at least the CCA (cold cranking amps) needed for your car and has the terminals in the same location.

Do NOT run a deep cycle battery in your car. They charge much different than automotive batteries. Red, Yellow and Blue tops are gel batteries. They are great when it comes to heat, as they are less susceptible to boiling over. Down here, they last 4-5 years under the hood.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Merry Christmas to one and all! I do hope Santa was especially good to each of you and came through with all the Camaro goodies! Yesterday my day was spent at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point NC where I served meals to all the troops that were not able to be with their families. I've been doing this for 5 years on Thanksgiving and Christmas, so rewarding. Gifts are also giving out.

I am thinking my Camaro was a tad jealous that all my attention was pouring out for these young men and women in uniform. There was nothing under the tree for the Camaro this year and she did show her disgust! Yesterday morning the tempeture here in Coastal NC dipped to about 29 degrees. With my remote I decided I should start the girl up so I would have a warm car for the ride to the military base. WRONG.... pressed the start button and NOTHING! What to hell? Went out and put the key into the ignition and the good ole sound of click click click! Odd, never done that before. Attached the battery pack and she started as usual, relearnt the windows and away I went. Thank God I took the battery pack with me though I honestly didn't believe I would need it as the outside temperature made it into the low 40s.

Finished about 1630 I headed for the Camaro when a couple of young Marines said to me, "Wow, nice car". With a bloated chest I thanked them. Got in and there she goes, click click click. Embarrassed I got the battery pack out and jumped her again!

This 2014 Camaro was built on November 2, 2013 so I guess I should have put a new battery under the tree this year. Removed original battery and will head to GM this morning for a new OEM, she deserves it.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
2012 - 75K miles, stock battery still going strong (hope im not jinxing myself.....)
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
2012 - 75K miles, stock battery still going strong (hope im not jinxing myself.....)
That is a good run on your factory battery! My 2014 only turned 20K a shot time ago. Spends most evenings in the garage, reside in coastal NC where it's warmer.

I first noticed mine a couple weeks back during a cold snap, battery was dead when I went to start her? What did I leaving something on? Couldn't have. Well this last week another cold snap and dead again.

I did have the battery checked and it was a goner. Other than oil changes this has been the only unscheduled maintenance I have had to perform, not bad!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
Merry Christmas to one and all! I do hope Santa was especially good to each of you and came through with all the Camaro goodies! Yesterday my day was spent at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point NC where I served meals to all the troops that were not able to be with their families. I've been doing this for 5 years on Thanksgiving and Christmas, so rewarding. Gifts are also giving out.

I am thinking my Camaro was a tad jealous that all my attention was pouring out for these young men and women in uniform. There was nothing under the tree for the Camaro this year and she did show her disgust! Yesterday morning the tempeture here in Coastal NC dipped to about 29 degrees. With my remote I decided I should start the girl up so I would have a warm car for the ride to the military base. WRONG.... pressed the start button and NOTHING! What to hell? Went out and put the key into the ignition and the good ole sound of click click click! Odd, never done that before. Attached the battery pack and she started as usual, relearnt the windows and away I went. Thank God I took the battery pack with me though I honestly didn't believe I would need it as the outside temperature made it into the low 40s.

Finished about 1630 I headed for the Camaro when a couple of young Marines said to me, "Wow, nice car". With a bloated chest I thanked them. Got in and there she goes, click click click. Embarrassed I got the battery pack out and jumped her again!

This 2014 Camaro was built on November 2, 2013 so I guess I should have put a new battery under the tree this year. Removed original battery and will head to GM this morning for a new OEM, she deserves it.
What kind of battery pack do you have?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Battery Replaced

I replaced my battery at 6 years. Did all kinds of research and finally decided to just buy the Platinum Series battery from Farm & Fleet. They always last their stated months and the cost is reasonable. I use a C-Tec in the Winter during storage and it keeps these batteries running strong. On a side note I put a C-Tec on my lawn tractor battery in the Winter. Used to have to buy a new one every Spring, but now I'm heading into year 4! Already paid for itself.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #12
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
What kind of battery pack do you have?
The battery pack that I have I purchased from a "pawn" shop at least 10 years ago. Still working when needed. I think I am going to break down and replace it this summer, just in case.

I did recently purchase a NOCO Genius battery tender. I purchased extra terminals so I could use it on my Impala SS, Camaro and the wife's car. My Impala SS gets driven very little, the Camaro a fair usage but there are time it will sit for one or two months. Now I can just plug them in and not worry about the battery draining.