Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
SASQUATCHelvis

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Recurring Driveline issue

TL;DR I've been fighting a diff/driveshaft/axle issue for a couple years now, the issue keeps coming back despite not abusing the car

A little history on my ownership of the car:

I've had my car since it was brand new off the lot in 2014, since that time I've done a few track days, but otherwise treated the car well, possibly too well. The only mods I have are an intake and lowering springs. A couple years ago I started hearing noise from the rear of the car that ended up being a combination of driveshaft, differential, and axle issues. They were all replaced under warranty over the course of about 4 months in which I didn't have access to my car (I'm currently on differential #4 due to faulty parts or installation) and after about a year of the issue seemingly being solved the noise came back today. I've never launched the car, the vast majority of my power applications are reasonably smooth, and I haven't done anything else I'd consider "abusive". It was fine last night and started making noise on the way in to work today.

Has anyone else had recurring issues like this or am I a unique case? I feel like I see guys making tons more power than I do, abusing their cars daily, and haven't had a single problem where as I can't go a year without something major on my car breaking. I love the car and I just want it to work. Any advice or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks
SASQUATCHelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
I feel like it’s all related and been documented as an ongoing issue, the dealership should continue to trouble shoot and replace faulty parts and figure out what’s going wrong with it. Especially if the car is stock and still under warranty.
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I went through a tough deal with our rear end as well. At just under 25K miles the rear end started to act like an open rear end more so then a posi unit. I had it serviced at the dealer and it seemed better for just a while. Before the warranty on the vehicle ran out (5 years) I went to the dealer asking for help with the problem. I was told that I could pay a fee for evaluation to determine if the problem was warrantable or not, but when they could not define what would be deemed warrantable or unwarrntable, I took my money elsewhere. Keep in mind that this rear end had not been used on any track at that point, nor do I do hard launches (tires are too expensive!). Daily driver.
I went with an Eaton TruTrac and the shop that installed it had some interesting comments. First. they were baffled how the stock unit had failed. They have customers pushing much, much more power through one with no issues. After switching the parts, he felt that the center section was faulty from the start in regards to its relation to the right axle. I did not get to talk to him much about what he meant as we were picking up the car after work about an hour and a half from home, see we kind of needed to get going. I can tell you that, even though we have not done any events with the new rear end, I do enjoy the Eaton as a daily driver.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
OP, did you get your situation resolved?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
SASQUATCHelvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
OP, did you get your situation resolved?
It went away and then came back again. It's occurring when the clutch is engaged and stops with the clutch in, so it may be a throwout bearing or something similar. I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
I just came in here to commend you on the proper use of "recurring"
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I had an "initial" issue that was found by my dealership service department to be faulty "axle bearings" that may not have been installed correctly from the factory in the rear and were replaced under warranty. (My initial complaint was excessive drive-line noise and notchy/clunky shifts and not easy going in R. They also filled the rear end with "heavy duty" ZR1 diff fluid, since I told the tech I planned to track the car soon.-yep I told him that! After that, it improved for a bit and I did a few track days, (trying to not be too hard on the car) where I learned it's good to replace the clutch fluid after every track event and about every year or so with normal daily driving. I never installed the Tick speed bleeder or whatever that thing is called so I would just take it into the dealer to do. Then one day it started shifting a bit "notchy" again and the rear gears were chattering when I'd make shallow low speed turns. I had my transmission and rear axle fluid replaced and it was shifting better and was quiet again. So if it's not shifting well, look at replacing the clutch fluid/and or tranny fluid. And since you say it only happens depending on clutch engagement, I'd definitely say look at bleeding & fully replacing your clutch fluid.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
SASQUATCHelvis

This is so confusing. The sound comes and goes, changes, causes a thunk I can feel or a tick I can hear. Any chance it could be a CV joint issue? My car is lowered on H&R springs about 2+" lower than stock.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCHelvis View Post
It went away and then came back again. It's occurring when the clutch is engaged and stops with the clutch in, so it may be a throwout bearing or something similar. I'll keep you updated.
That's an interesting piece of information - is this occurring when the car is stationary? If so, it's not in the rear at all...

There is a plastic piece that is a part of the OE clutch slave cylinder that essentially acts a spacer and supports the throw-out bearing. It is not uncommon for this part to fail, suddenly or over time, which in turn destroys the throw-out bearing and slave cylinder. I just replaced mine - not much fun.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
SASQUATCHelvis

It's only occurring while the car is moving. I'm sure it'll change tomorrow though haha.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Did you say/mean it is more than -2.0 inch drop? Or -1.2"??? I thought we can only -1.5" drop before there is bind with the axles/differential? Or something to that effect?
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
SASQUATCHelvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Did you say/mean it is more than -2.0 inch drop? Or -1.2"??? I thought we can only -1.5" drop before there is bind with the axles/differential? Or something to that effect?
I'm thinking that could be the issue. It could be a CV joint issue or something in the axle.

Also my parking brake has starting to ride against my rotor, so that's fun :(