Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #29
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Drives: black zl11le
All i can say is......WOW!
fredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #30
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz View Post
All i can say is......WOW!

I hope this information was helpful for you Fred. All of this are things I have learned, and been taught by people who do professional detailing, over the last 35 years.

Unfortunately, many detailing companies and people who represent their products will mis-inform customers about products just to make a sale.

While sealants/waxes/coatings will add degree of shine to the surface of your paint, their primary function is to provide protection against the elements. Your car's paint will always get it's best shine from machine polishing, and if someone tries to tell you otherwise don't believe it, because it isn't true.

I like to use products that are easy to use, unless the benefits of their use outweigh any difficulties using the product.

I am of the belief that their is no "right" protection product for every single application. While it wont last as long as a sealant, many people like to use wax instead, and there is nothing wrong with doing that. You will just have to apply it more often.
Coatings will provide the longest durability, but take longer to apply, and it's a good idea to compound/polish the paint first before applying one.

Many people don't want to spend the hours it takes to perfect their paint, and again, this is totally up to the owner of the vehicle.

Just beware that many products from detailing companies are labeled wax, when in actuality they are sealants. Some are labeled coatings when they are really sealants.

Also, when considering a detailing product, always try to buy things that come in concentrated formula. This is always the best bang for your buck. When you buy pre-mixed products you are paying mostly for the distilled water. You can buy a gallon of distilled water for less than a dollar.
A good example of this is Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate. A 16 oz. bottle will make 5.5 gallons of detail spray/clay lube/waterless wash. If you catch it on a 25% off/free shipping sale, you can get it for about 15 dollars. Get your distilled water for 75c per gallon, and your total cost will be about 20 dollars, or $3.64 per gallon. You'll never find a pre-mixed product anywhere near this low of a price.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 02-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #31
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Joe, that process is a great read. But every so often I want to ‘quick shine” and have used some pretty good instant Detailer products. How do YOU recommend the quicky process?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #32
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
I have always used Simonize Wax for my vehicles, but have been curious about ceramic coating my car.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 AM   #33
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz View Post
Joe, that process is a great read. But every so often I want to ‘quick shine” and have used some pretty good instant Detailer products. How do YOU recommend the quicky process?

If you don't want to go through the process of correcting your paint, the option for a "quick shine" is to use a glaze.

The shine from a glaze though will never match the shine from polishing. Instead of removing defects from your paint, glaze will simply fill them, making them less visible. The downside to glaze is it doesn't last very long.

When it comes to quick detailers, I haven't tried them all, but have tried many of them. I haven't found one that made any noticeable difference vs. another. Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate is by far the best bang for the buck.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #34
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Zaino has one detailer that , for an instant detailer, works very well. I have tried a few as well but Zaino is touted by many.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #35
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Zaino is the best, long lasting paint protection I've ever used. It really shines and beads forever.

Their product line is kinda wonky and hard to navigate but once you get the core products you just layer on the shine.

Get the 62 dollar daily driver protection package on their website to start. It has everything you need. Their stuff seems pricey but it lasts longer and you don't use a lot of it compared to store bought stuff. It's all true.

Don't skimp on applicator pads and towels or you'll just put more scratches/swirls on your paint.

You'll need to wash and clay before you put this stuff on. Then follow the directions. Your first application will take a hour or so (waiting for polish to cure) for 2 coats but after that, you're in maintenance mode which is basically washing your car, drying, then spritzing on their polish and wiping it off.

Don't use any other soap other than the Zaino soap or Meguires Gold Class Soap. There could be others that work but those are the only 2 that won't strip off their polish.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #36
fredz
Just another car Jones!

i have most of their RELATEABLE products. I like the Z6 instant detailer. I know this is crazy but on a different car back when...I actually put it on a dusty car and followed the directions and it cleaned excellent and no swirls etc. It says car can be dirty but it worried me so I tested it out very small and it was great. I used it on my 427 Shelby Cobra roadster. So there wasn't much car to shine..HA. It was Black and I used it all the time and it showed great wear and clean. It was weird.....spraying on a not so clean car but then turning out great!~