Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
DavidtheM

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Stripped bolt in head...

I made a rookie mistake and this happened... over torqued bolt and it snapped in the head. How messy of a fix is this? I'll be taking my car to a shop for this, just want to know how serious it is and what it will take to fix

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
DavidtheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Take the intake off and see if you can get the bolt out. Use a small pick or screw driver to turn it out
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
What he said ^^^^^ may be put some PB Blaster in the hole and let it sit over night too.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:43 AM   #4
MrBowTi3

Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
I've done it before. Had to use a easy out, but if it snaps clean it should just take a slow steady hand. Took all of 15 mins if that.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
MrBowTi3

Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Replace with ARPs from summit

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2018, 04:18 AM   #6
GT Kilr

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS
Well, here is the deal. Most of those manifold bolts thread into an open cavity above the lifter trays. Drilling it is a very delicate process. I would try turning it with a pick as Clarkstar suggested, and if that does not work, try to center punch it and use a Left Handed drill bit, but make absolutely sure you drill as shallow as possible.
GT Kilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Intake bolt? Should be a piece of cake. Remove manifold. Tap lightly downward on remaining bolt. Work at it until it comes out.

Keep in mind a bolt with no head has no torque on it. The only thing holding it in is the thread bind. Tap downward lightly to release the thread bind.

Don't make it worse... if that doesn't work easily find someone really good at using an EZ out. And not just getting in there and hogging it out with a big drill. That small a bolt with next to no tq should come out with ease. If broke off below the head surface, drill a pilot hole in the center and EZ out it. Do not hog out the head hole until an absolute last resort.

If you do see it is below the head surface, could set the manifold back on and use that sleeved hole as a guide to center pilot drill into the bolt. Use a new really good bit and put some tape around the shank to keep it centered in the manifold sleeve. Then EX out. The key is no drilling into head material, and make sure the pilot hole is starting in the center of the broken bolt. It's an art that takes practice. Often drilling down into it will grab the bolt by itself, cuz...it's just sitting in there once the thread bind releases.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Just be patient and you'll get it
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
DavidtheM

Thanks all for the advice! I'll be purchasing some ARP bolts. Haven't had time to take the IM off yet, but sounds like I won't have too much trouble removing the stripped bolt

Old 08-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
Russell James

Save your money on the fancy bolts and spend it on a service manual and really good torque wrenches. Also get an angle meter. Many bolts these days are tq to yield, measured by angle not tq.

It's a dry manifold, very little tq required. Hence the reason for small bolts. OE bolts work perfect. The sleeve is also there to try to prevent crushing from over tq. The next line of defense is small bolts. If you up the bolt strength, you are removing one of the overtq defense strategies.

Lubing up ARP bolts on an LS motor is a sure way to induce tons of problems. If you've modded something justifying increasing the tq, such as forced induction, then it's time to up the fastener strength...ie head studs. Even then, using the wrong lube can cause way over-torque. If using a plastic stock manifold, I can't imagine why a stronger bolt would be needed.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #11
Synner

Drives: cars
I agree on the torque wrench, no need for expensive bolts just the right tools. Snapping off hardened bolts just makes extraction tougher.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Russell James

The best tool you could ever buy for a car is the service manual.

The intake bolts require threadlocker. 5 N-m on the first pass. 10 N-m on the second pass.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Another option: If you remove the manifold and depending what is left of the bolt, you can use a Dremel- cut a slot in the bolt and use a flathead screwdriver and back it out.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #14
DavidtheM

Thanks all for the input. It's extremely helpful. Here's a close-up of the damage with the intake manifold off