Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #15
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGoddard View Post
Was your broken valve spring related to them not putting the AC belt on correctly???

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
LOL! Unfortunately, belts (even half-wide ones) have had more longevity than my engine. The only reason I've had to replace them is because I had to cut them off to pull the engine.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #16
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-bayou View Post
LOL! Unfortunately, belts (even half-wide ones) have had more longevity than my engine. The only reason I've had to replace them is because I had to cut them off to pull the engine.
Sooooo. No? It wasn't related to the AC belt? Haha

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #17
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
What does that tool do that cant be done just carefully putting the belt on and rotating the engine a couple revolutions by hand?

Do most car partsstores carry it?
Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #18
Peachv7

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Whelp, did a cam swap, went to reinstall the belt, it slid off and snapped the connector clean off the ac compressor
Peachv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I finally got around to replacing, here is my video

Upon going back, I'm noticing the original video on this thread seems to have an aftermarket intake. For stock SS engines, you won't need to remove the IAT sensor. Just remove the snorkle which is held on with 2 belt clamps (yes I'm too tired in the video to remember this).

Tools I used:
Craftsman standard sized flat blade screwdriver
1/2 drive ratchet, although a breaker bar makes this much easier
24mm deep impact socket
zip ties and electrical tape

If you use your own methods and the belt is partially on, use the zip ties under the belt with a few rotations and it will pop back on. I did this 3-4 days ago and no belt issues afterwards.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:21 AM   #20
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
This thread is a bit old but I wanted to add my comments because I read a lot of different opinions and I'll tell you what worked the best for me. This is the second time installing a stretch belt on my AC pulley.

The first time I did this I used a belt from AutoZone, I believe, And I used those little plastic tools for guiding the belt into the grooves. It was quite easy and I did it really fast. However, this time I used a belt by gates from O'Reilly because I couldn't find any belt in stock from any other manufacturer. I wanted to use the original Delco part but it was not an option this time. I went to use the same tool and installed a belt the same way as previous but this belt seemed to be shorter than the last one. It ended up snapping my plastic tool in half only a quarter of the way around the pulley. I decided to read about it, talk to a couple mechanic friends, and try again.

I was at O'Reilly purchasing something else and I saw that they had a tool specifically for installing stretch belts, and aluminum thing that supposedly clamps to the pulley. In my case with the LS3 it did not work at all and I ended up returning it. The thing that worked better than any plastic tool I had before was four zip ties. I just strapped it to the pulley and then turned the engine over by hand. The first time it went around, on the AC pulley it ended up being off by one groove so I just kept turning by hand using my left hand to guide the belt and my right hand to turn the engine.

This whole process, even with the belt being off by one groove initially, took less than 5 minutes. I was shocked how easy it was. If you open a service manual for this engine and look up stretch belt, you should just see a photo of four zip ties. Honestly, this is the way to do this install. Anything else, any other tool you can use, is more expensive and is going to just make you angry. Four zip ties and you're done.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #21
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I just put the belt over the balancer and get it started on the compressor. I then just push the belt over the compressor grooves while rotating the engine over with the crank balancer bolt until it slips on. Takes less than a few minutes.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #22
Pkeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs, 2008 Avalanche
I too am a firm believer in the ziptie method, I've had my belt off and on 4 times now with this method, same belt and haven't had any issues with it.
2010 Rally Yellow 2ss/rs , M6 ,416ci , K1 rods & crank,weisco -3.0cc dome pistons,.040 head gasket, 11.5 compression,1 3/4" LT ,3" pipes w/x-pipe no cats, Cam Motion cam 239/247 113+3 .621"/604" lift , BTR .660 Platinum dual springs w/Titanium retainers, CAI . Stock ls3 heads,intake,injectors & TB. 515rwhp/500rwtq.
Pkeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac belt, belt, belt replacement, chirpping, squeaking