Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #155
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z / 28 View Post
Hey man, looks like I'm moving to the UK. Did you wire your rear fog yourself? I'd assume you used a reverse light socket? Apologies if you showed it somewhere in this thread!

What about the side turn signals?

I've lived there before, but I'd like to do most of the light conversion myself
PM'd you
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #156
Z / 28

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
PM'd you
Ya know, that would have been a better route! Sorry lol.
Z / 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #157
pat_t

Other updates pending:
Camber plates ordered and awaiting delivery.
Michelin tyres to fit.
New engine rocker covers to fit.
Version 2 steering wheel centre in progress.
Version 2 brake ducts in progress.

Lots of development ongoing on this wonderful car!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #158
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Looks pretty bad ass Pat. Love how you set that up. I'd heard we could stand on the front splitter, but I do not have the balls to test it.

Extremely interested in what you come up with second go around on the brake ducts. I've been debating making my own and using the faux fog light covers as the entry point. Now that I've swapped to Girodiscs, I want to make sure they last as long as possible.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #159
pat_t

Just completed a cool little mod this weekend. Fitted Holley valve covers. I ordered them in the plain "as cast" finish and then prepped and painted them myself in Velocity Yellow. This is a respectful nod to the 2006 Corvette Z06 which was the first production car to take the LS7, without the success of which we might never have had the 2014 Z/28. I also painted the mounting bolt heads black, and wrapped the fuel rails in DEI Gold heat reflective film while I was at it.

Got a chance to take a look at my valvetrain after 4200miles, all looks to be in great condition under there.

The covers save over 1lb in weight and also lower the Centre of Gravity of the coils. By eliminating the extra bracket it's all a lot tidier once you've tucked the wires away neatly. I managed to retain the factory breather pipes, although I had to cut the quick release ends off as spigots on the Holley covers are smaller.

A few pictures attached below.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #160
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Looks great!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #161
pat_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Looks great!
Thanks! A few more engine bay detail pictures below.

In other news, my Gen5DIY/Moreno Motorsport camber plates are nearly here! Just waiting on them to clear UK customs. I've already got the DSSV struts out ready to fit them so will post my first impressions as soon as I receive them.

When fitted I'll be switching straight over to a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+ N0/N2 (porsche spec) tyres. Should get at least 2 more trackdays in this year...
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #162
Jeff71

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1251
Did you end up doing away with the EVAP/purge solenoid or just re-routing the hose and wires?
Jeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #163
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Thanks! A few more engine bay detail pictures below.

In other news, my Gen5DIY/Moreno Motorsport camber plates are nearly here! Just waiting on them to clear UK customs. I've already got the DSSV struts out ready to fit them so will post my first impressions as soon as I receive them.

When fitted I'll be switching straight over to a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+ N0/N2 (porsche spec) tyres. Should get at least 2 more trackdays in this year...
Nice work Pat!

Do you have a picture of the under side of those valve covers? I am looking into those as well or the OEM LSA/LS9 covers to clean it up some and to get rid of those coil brackets. Your looks nice without.

Also I am doing the fuel rail reverse and spinning it a 180 degrees to eliminate
the long goofy fuel line that crosses over the intake, Got my short fuel hose from TechAFX that is made like an OEM hose but way shorter and made to do just this, they also make an Evap hose to replace the goofy looking metal hose from the solenoid to the right fender (wing) I will post a few pictures at some point.

Keep it up...Love what you have done with yours!
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #164
pat_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff71 View Post
Did you end up doing away with the EVAP/purge solenoid or just re-routing the hose and wires?
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply on my other thread.

I've left the EVAP as factory for now. I don't want the weight or the clutter in the engine bay so would love to remove it, but equally I don't want the check engine light.

The valve has some weight to it, but more so does the EVAP canister, which doesn't appear to be removable without dropping the fuel tank.

My research and understanding suggests the EVAP purge contribution to fuelling will be so slight on such a large engine that removal shouldn't affect the engine tune. Normally the valve tends to make the purge contribution on areas at low load where the engine is running closed-loop stoichiometric (so the ECU should effectively compensate itself for the removal of EVAP).

I've added it to the list of 'long term projects'!
Old 10-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #165
pat_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
Nice work Pat!

Do you have a picture of the under side of those valve covers? I am looking into those as well or the OEM LSA/LS9 covers to clean it up some and to get rid of those coil brackets. Your looks nice without.

Also I am doing the fuel rail reverse and spinning it a 180 degrees to eliminate
the long goofy fuel line that crosses over the intake, Got my short fuel hose from TechAFX that is made like an OEM hose but way shorter and made to do just this, they also make an Evap hose to replace the goofy looking metal hose from the solenoid to the right fender (wing) I will post a few pictures at some point.

Keep it up...Love what you have done with yours!
Hey sorry for late reply, I must have overlooked this post! I don't have a picture of the underside unfortuantely, however the clearance for rocker lift is the same as OEM (and I have a higher lift cam than stock). If you need even more clearance for more extreme cam lifts then Holley do taller covers too.

Also on the underside the Holley covers have a copy of the OE breather plate, and a threaded port for the breather takeoffs (although fyi on the driver's side this ends up not being in the exact same location as OE)

I'm very interested by what you describe for the fuel rail and EVAP hose mods... please post some pictures when you can!

To finish off the engine bay for now I've got some nice pressed aluminium "7.0L LS7" badges which I found on eBay-Australia!!
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #166
pat_t

Camber plates

as you might have seen in the dedicated camber plates thread, I recently got the first set of Moreno Motorsport V2 camber plates, brought back by Gen5DIY.

I got these fitted earlier in the week, installation was straight forward, and they are easy to adjust with just a floorjack and a 6mm allen key so can easily be done at the track if you desire I've attached a couple of pics below showing how you have to trim the spacer ring to clear the bonnet (hood) stay bracket in case this helps someone.

Then this afternoon I got a full alignment done on a brand new £60,000 Hunter Alignment rig local to me!

I'm also on new tyres now.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.
front - 305/30/R19 "N0 Porsche spec"
rear - 325/30/R19 "N2 Porsche spec"

For the alignment I went slightly different to the Chevrolet track settings or the JPSS settings.

I've now got the following geometry:
Front left camber -2.5 degrees
Front right camber -2.5 degrees

Front left caster 6.3 degrees
Front right caster 6.3 degrees

Front left toe 0.017 degrees IN (was shooting for zero)
Front right toe 0.05 degrees IN (was shooting for zero)

Rear left camber -1.25 degrees
Rear right camber -1.05 degrees

Rear left toe 0.167 degrees IN (was shooting for 0.12)
Rear right toe 0.133 degrees IN (was shooting for 0.12)

Observations [1] I could have got more negative camber than this.. Not at the limits of adjustment, but I thought this would be a good starting point.

[2] The stock caster on a Z28 appears to be about 5 degrees. I'm interested to see how turn-in feels with the additional caster I've added, but the zero front toe (which should help with tyre life and maybe making the front a bit less "nervous" on country lanes!)
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #167
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Those NSpecs do look good mounted dont they. Widest tires I've found in the 305 & 325 sizes. I have the exact same setup mounted on a second set of wheels . Theres not alot of info on these out there anymore that i could find. Bought them to try on track but havent yet.I have seen a video where they said it takes alil while for these to heat up. Like the fitment though .its pefect . Really gives the car a tubbed look from behind . But the ROCKS lol.i hate rocks on the road. They pick up as much if not more than the trofeos being a softer compound . love your car man.
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #168
pat_t

Sooooo.... I'm leaving at 5am tomorrow for 3 days driving the Nurburgring!!!

It's 1050 miles there and back and I'm driving the Z the whole way!

It will be Touristfahrten for all 3 days, with all that that entails. Having said that two days are weekdays and it's very late in the season so I'm hoping the track is fairly quiet compared to TF in peak summer. I'll try to post updates here and on Instagram whenever I get a chance ☺️

Wish me luck 🤞🏼
Attached Images