Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
bigralph

Drives: 2001 v6 Camaro
Angry Massachusetts may consider mileage chip

I'm starting to hate living here with all this stupid taxes.

Massachusetts may consider mileage chip
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 10:46 AM EST

BOSTON (AP) - A proposal to use GPS to charge people in Massachusetts for the miles they drive is being blasted as "Orwellian."

But a similar program has been tried in Oregon with positive results - after efforts to eliminate concerns "Big Brother" was watching. The GPS system used in Oregon doesn't allow real-time tracking of the vehicle, though it still measures distance traveled.

A draft plan by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has called for a "Vehicle Miles Traveled" program to replace the gas tax by 2014.

The idea is that as cars become more fuel efficient, gas tax revenues will drop. Backers of the plan say charging drivers for the miles they put on state roads is a fair way to pay for them.

Similar programs are being considering in Idaho and Rhode Island.

Last November the voters of Massachusetts had the chance to repeal the state income tax but the measure failed by about 70%-30% if my memory serve me. The special interests in Massachusetts were able to use scare tactics to convince the voters that repealing the income tax would be irresponsible. These groups claimed that if the tax was repealed that the state would be forced to either raise other taxes or fire police and fire fighters.

But once the governor saw that 70% of the people didn’t mind paying taxes, all bets were off. The people have shown that taxes are acceptable to them and now the governor is ready to fleece the people of Massachusetts for all that he can. On top of paying that income tax Massachusetts is considering many more taxes on top of the income tax. There are proposals to tax soda, candy bars, flavored water, toll increases, and gas tax increases to name a few. The governor is also trying to follow his subjects over the New Hampshire border by unconstitutionally trying to make New Hampshire businesses charge Massachusetts resident a sales tax for anything that they buy in New Hampshire. More on the governor following Massachusetts residents in a moment.

The governor is proposing as much as a 29 cent gas tax increase that would make the Massachusetts gas tax far and away the highest in the nation. But buried in this article about the possiSomehow the fact that the governor of Massachusetts wants to put a chip in the inspection stickers of Massachusetts resident’s cars only rates one paragraph in the entire article buried towards the end.

Governor Deval Patrick isn’t content with taxing the people of Massachusetts for just about everything that they do or buy in his state, he wants to follow them over the border and tax them on what they buy out of state, and he wants to just follow them and tax them for wherever they decide to go-period.

This is the sad state of affairs in Massachusetts, and the country in general. This is not the first state to talk about implementing a tax on miles driven and it won’t be the last. Once this idea gets noticed around the country more and more states will try to implement it, and why stop there? A federal tax on miles driven would naturally be next. President Obama will want in on the deal.

But Massachusetts residents have nobody to blame but themselves as they voted in favor of paying taxes last November when they refused to send a message to the governor. Actually they did send a message to the governor, it was the wrong message, it was the message that if some taxes are good, more taxes must be better. That is not a wise idea when you have a tax and spend liberal in charge of the state. Massachusetts residents gave Deval Patrick and inch and now he is taking a mile– literally.

ble gas tax increase is a very interesting tidbit about another plan that the governor has to tax his loyal subjects.
bigralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
WTF That's total
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Yea, thats freakin crazy.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
unbelievable, but i could see how that could come up as a discussion.

as for state income tax, if you repeal that, it'll more than likely be sales tax that goes up. tn don't have a state income tax, but our sales tax averages right under 10% depending on the city.

the whole idea of taxing the miles you drive is alright in theory because the more miles you drive n the roads, the more repair they'll need. on the other hand, that's a big invasion of your privacy & freedom to go wherever & whenever you want.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Wow could they make it more complicated. Instead of putting GPS in the inspection sticker they should just have the mechanic write down your miles when you get your car inspected and just send in a form saying what the odometer reading. Then they could just send you a yearly bill.

I would rather be taxed on mileage as opposed to gallons because then you would be paying the same amount of tax and it wouldn't matter if you drove a Camaro or a Prius.

But as for the GPS unit I don't like that one bit. Too expensive and I don't want speeding tickets to start showing up in my mail.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
Wow could they make it more complicated. Instead of putting GPS in the inspection sticker they should just have the mechanic write down your miles when you get your car inspected and just send in a form saying what the odometer reading.

New Hampshire looks better every day.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
bigralph

^^ Tell me about it.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
bigralph

LaHood's talk of mileage tax nixed
White House and Transportation spokeswoman say idea won't be used

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29298315
Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
they could have at least added an ammendum for speeders...lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Why not put a small steel box around the GPS unit? You wouldn't have to tamper with the unit but no GPS signals would be able to get through so no tracking.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
i wouldn't let them wire that into my car, since they can't put it in a nonexistent computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Why not put a small steel box around the GPS unit? You wouldn't have to tamper with the unit but no GPS signals would be able to get through so no tracking.
that would still be tampering IMO though because you're stopping it from doing what it's supposed to.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
lol it shouldn't get used... I can see people disabling the GPS some how or.. altering it to cheat the system lol...
Old 02-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Our freedoms are getting attacked by government every damn day.